• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Balancing uni and casual work (1 Viewer)

Ribbon

Originally posted by sei
it does sound like you're 'sucking the system dry'. Think about it - you are already making $237 per week, and can make more (but heaven forbid, that may take away some of your Centrelink money). If you have the time to go to uni, work enough hours to make that kinda money, AND get centrelink, AND your parents are paying half of HECS you are very, very privileged.
Just wanted to point out it is $237 per FORTNIGHT not week, as she said. Centrelink will give you very little (about $100 - $150 a fortnight) if you are earning $237 per week, as a student. If you earn this in a full time job you are entitled to a small income supplement and a health care card, nothing more.

yeh, if you don't care about sucking the system dry, iambored. A lot of uni students work, and don't receive YA. What makes you think that you should just live off YA so it gives you 'more study time' when others have to work to get the same amount as you when they move out, just cos their parents are over the threshold? What you said was a really naive.
Actually, depending on the reason you move out of home you may be entitled to YA regardless of your parents income. You do realise YA isn't enough to 'live off' and you have to work regardless. The max rate of youth allowence is only margionally above the poverty line. As I have said before, more study time translates into higher marks, which translates into quicker/more highly paid employment, which transalates into more taxes later on in life, and so I think it is fair that a student tries to work as little as possible, in order to study as much as possible.

As for the students that have to work to earn the same amount as someone recieves on Youth Allowence... not meaning to insult anyone, because I know some may have different circumstances, but they have stupidly put themselves in such a poor financial position. If they have to move to be within accessable travel of the uni, they are eligable for youth allowence. If they are not it is because thier parents house is close enough that they can travel (even if it is an hour each way... which many students do) and if they don't want to be in such a poor financial position they should stay with thier parents. If they cannot stay with thier parents because of family breakdown/abuse ect. they are entitled to YA. If thier parents earn to much, they can always do what another BOS member (can't remember her name at present but she has posted in this thread) has done and work for a year (defer uni) to get $16k and be considered independant. I do not feel sorry for students who have to work heaps because they are not entitled to YA... there are so many avenues, I beleive thier finanicial position is thier own stupid fault (though I do realise there will be exceptions)

Yes you are in genuine need :rolleyes:
With $350 centrelink per fortnight, and your rent being $200 per fortnight (sounds like you decided to get a nice place too, since you get somewhere decent for that in/around the city for UNSW/USyd, you must have a very nice joint, or one that's ripping you off), what do you mean it 'only leaves you withe $150 for everything else? I know families of 4 who survive with a bit under $150/fortnight for travel and food expenses - what the hell do you need that much money for that makes you have a 'genuine need' that everyone else doesn't have (most people would be happy for getting $150 per fortnight for doing bugger all, it's more than enough for meals etc). Let alone the fact that your parents are paying half your hecs (they can't be too hard off, most ppl I know with parents over the threshold aren't paying them a cent), and that you are still allowed to make another $237 per week ($474 a fortnight!!), without docking your centrelink.
First of all, students are not doing bugger all. The government recognises this by making a distinct category of benifits for students, with different rules and regualtions to the unemployed.

and I'm sorry... did you say a family of 4 suriviving with under $150 per fornight? Food is, at a very, very bare, homebrand, minimum $30 per person, per week!. Thats $240. Thats already into -$$ before you factor in money for travel electricity, phone ect. How do they clothe thier children and pay for thier school books? How do they pay for one off nessecities such as insurance? If you really do know a family of 4 living for under $150 per forngith after rent, I really feel for them. Based on the av of 30% of thier income going to rent, they earn around $200 a fornight. Even in the cheapest area, $50 a week on rent gets you absolutely nothing. Maybe a one bedroom bedsit, but I doubt even that. If they are so poor because thier rent/morgatage is too high, its thier own fault they are in that position (once again, I accept there are exceptions). I find thier position hard to believe and I really do feel for them... $200 per week is about 10k per year. The poverty line for a family is $20k a year!!

$200 per fortnight is quite a standard amount of rent for a single room, and is actually towaards the lower end of the market. I am paying the same, and still live 30mins by car from the uni. Often if a student lives in a nice house, it isn't because they won't accept less, but because it is all they can get... particularly at the start of the year all share and rentals go quick. Also... I don't know where you got your info from but rentals in the inner sydney, I thought, were around $400 p/w for a 2 bedroom place. This means, sharing, it would be $200 a week which is a significant difference to $100! I know even in Canberra, to live in walking distance to the university, sharing, you are looking at $150 + per week.

What you said was a really naive.
In retrospect I think you should check your facts before calling others naive.

Generator

HSC
N/A
The only people that I meant to criticise were those who expect their parents to provide everything. How anyone could be at uni and not work and/or be on youth allowance is beyond me.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
hmmmm, i havent read this whole thread........

i dunno if the YA/centrlink sys is fair or not fair but thing is my friend's dad works (money not over threshold) and her mum doesn't and she and her bro each get $200 from YA.

both my parents don't work, have stopped working for years already....my parents r pensioners (both r 56+).....I'm the oldest child and I'm 18 this year (4 more months).....and i get $170 from YA.........and my family is running dry of money, prolly the only luxury here in the house is the 2 comps we have and an internet connection ....all luxury goes to study and stuff.....the sys sucks, the whole thing sucks...oh yeah and i have my younger sis who is still in highskool...dunno how much she gets......bout $200 or so

HSC
Originally posted by Generator
The only people that I meant to criticise were those who expect their parents to provide everything. How anyone could be at uni and not work and/or be on youth allowance is beyond me.

I earn about $330 a week and i live at home for free. My Dad (who lives abroad) pays my hecs, and my mum provides my accommodation.... but i still truely struggle with money :(

$300 a fornight YA is piss poor if its ur only source of income...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
How anyone could be at uni and not work and/or be on youth allowance is beyond me.
I don't work and my parents don't give me a penny. (although I don't have to pay for food/rent). I can't get youth allowance cos my parents are over the threshold. Thankfully I worked during high school and managed to save up a bit to get me through.
I have to manage it very carefully though, cos if I run out I am totally fucked. I don't have the sort of parents where I can just say "Gee whiz, I've run out of money!" and stick my hand out. If I run out of money, the only thing they'll be giving me is a lecture on managing money.
I barely ever go out or buy clothes, CDs etc cos I can't afford it. All my money is spent on transport and highly overpriced UNI textbooks, and even there I scrimp as much as possible. It's not much fun, but it IS possible. (hoping to find a job vey soon, though!) Though if you started out at UNI with no money, then I don't see how you could do it...anyone in high school should start thinking about money right now if you are planning on starting UNI straight from school and don't want to be screwed big time.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
OK, i have a BIG problem balancing uni and work.
A friend of mine had a similar situation too. We work at Woolies, were supposed to write down when we're available to work while studying.....my friend wrote hers down and gave it to the supervisor to read over and he told her "u might lose ur job if u work that little".....i havent given my "timetable of availability" yet but feel i'lll be told the same thing.

I was planning to work at night prolly just 4 hrs for a weekday, afternoon or night on Saturday and n e time Sunday. So my roster could be like this :

Woolies Open hrs at my local area are ---- weekdays (til midnight), sat (til 9.15pm), sunday (til 8.15pm)

Wed: 6pm+
Sat: 5pm+
Sun: Any time at all
So altogether approx. 16hrs a week?????

Thing is that's IF they can set my roster this way cos there will b fulltime old ppl employees or other ppl working too and I just cant take priority.......i really don't want to quit or find a new job cos there is a chance, big or small, that the other job wont be any more flexible......
help???? :)

and another thing:
how much work (per week while going to uni) is too much work?
and how many hrs is too little to work?

a lecturer said n e thing over 15 hrs a week will interfere wif ur studies.....

a thing about me also (esp for my course) we have clinical practices in the holidays, so while most ppl will work a lot in the holies to make up the lost worked times due to uni and earn more money, I will havta attend lessons and practicals in some holidays...........no rest for me:(

Last edited:

Ribbon

Originally posted by lillaila
A friend of mine had a similar situation too. We work at Woolies, were supposed to write down when we're available to work while studying.....my friend wrote hers down and gave it to the supervisor to read over and he told her "u might lose ur job if u work that little".....i havent given my "timetable of availability" yet but feel i'lll be told the same thing.
OMG I am sure that is so not legal !! If they do this to you ring up the SDA union for advice... if you are not a financial member I would suggest ringing them up and seeing if you can become one and get some advice otherwise you are screwed...

and another thing:

I agree with the lecturere (and this is from experience having worked all through yr 11 & 12). I would tend to try for 10 - 12 hours, depending on your other committments. You also need to remember that alot of ppls timetable have differing contact hours/committments so basic rule: Double your contact hours and the difference between that and 45 is the amount of time I would think you could work and study, keep up decent marks and be sane.

so for me it would be:
16 * 2 = 32
45 - 32 = 13

so more than 13 hours would affect my study.

Rahul

Dead Member
i'm gunna be working on a casual basis with the good guys. first day of paid work this sunday :D. not sure how much i will be getting on average per week. but probably would be somewhere around ~150.
other than that i will be getting $51 for 3 hrs of tutoring aswell during the week, starting that next week.
i think like what fatmuscle said, i'm not gunna be lazy. gunna work hard...think about it this way, at this stage in your life you can do this. later on it would get tougher, physically and commitment wise.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by sei
yeh, if you don't care about sucking the system dry, iambored. A lot of uni students work, and don't receive YA. What makes you think that you should just live off YA so it gives you 'more study time' when others have to work to get the same amount as you when they move out, just cos their parents are over the threshold? What you said was a really naive.
i didn't realise you were comparing people who can get YA and people who cannot. but when only taking into account people who can get YA, i still don't see why they would work to get less YA. you may see it as sucking the system dry, but how i see the system is that they have made it a minimum so they cannot be sucked dry.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
hmmm, sucked dry eh?

ppl wif YA and who work should kno about their income bank..... right???.....that $6000 that is for life til it runs out?

u can still work and still get YA !!!! til $6000 goes to zero then yeah then they take money off u...atm im at $4770 from $6000

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
Originally posted by Ribbon
OMG I am sure that is so not legal !! If they do this to you ring up the SDA union for advice... if you are not a financial member I would suggest ringing them up and seeing if you can become one and get some advice otherwise you are screwed...
really?.....i just cancelled my SDA membership.....i dunno, maybe i'll negotiate smthng out, and if it gets worse then ill call up just for advice or smthng, thnx for that

how did u calculate that again?...seems interesting :):):)

sorry bout double posting ppl! quick edit didnt work for some reasonb4

fatmuscle

HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
Even though it is only first year University, I believe that if I started on a bad note (i.e. not putting in the required effort) I would find it very hard to start the following year. I want to get into a good habit from the beginning. The hardest part is going to be kicking the habit of following all those television shows I started watching in the holidays:rolleyes:.
i wasn't serious.

getting 3-4hrs a sleep per day, everyday for 1 month will screw u up for a very very long time.

as if cancel SDA membership...

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Hmm another thing, if you still live at home and you earn $16,000 in an 18month period you can apply for independance (i think thats what its called) and claim YA also, though its not as much as $200/fortnight, any money is better than nothing.

mel81

Originally posted by fatmuscle
getting 3-4hrs a sleep per day, everyday for 1 month will screw u up for a very very long time.
I can vouch for that, I did it first semester last year and I barely got through I was so tired. I made enough money to survive of for the 2nd semester but now Im out of money so its down to the centrelink office for me. I was hoping to find another job before I ran out of money but I guess it just wasnt to be.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
work is tiring!!:( now when i had hols n no study , i used 2 get tired when i came from work~~ so imagine uni n work ?? :rolleyes: tooo tiring!!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle
i wasn't serious.

Oh, I see now:eek:.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
work is tiring!! now when i had hols n no study , i used 2 get tired when i came from work~~ so imagine uni n work ?? tooo tiring!!
I know :( I hate money :rofl:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I went to uni 18 hours this week and worked 45. This week Im going to uni 24 hours and woring 26. I love work too much to not go.

Lanily

HSC
Originally posted by lillaila

I was planning to work at night prolly just 4 hrs for a weekday, afternoon or night on Saturday and n e time Sunday. So my roster could be like this :

Woolies Open hrs at my local area are ---- weekdays (til midnight), sat (til 9.15pm), sunday (til 8.15pm)

Wed: 6pm+
Sat: 5pm+
Sun: Any time at all
So altogether approx. 16hrs a week?????

Thing is that's IF they can set my roster this way cos there will b fulltime old ppl employees or other ppl working too and I just cant take priority.......i really don't want to quit or find a new job cos there is a chance, big or small, that the other job wont be any more flexible......
help???? :)

and another thing:

a thing about me also (esp for my course) we have clinical practices in the holidays, so while most ppl will work a lot in the holies to make up the lost worked times due to uni and earn more money, I will havta attend lessons and practicals in some holidays...........no rest for me:(
Damn it now you have me worried, I just started working at woolies (had induction on saturday) I told em about uni and that at my interview and they never said anything to me though, and I still got hired so it couldn't be that bad.

monzi

HSC
i had to move away from home to go to university for commerce and its been a big financial burden my parents dont want me to get a job they just want me to study so i can get high enough marks to transfer to a closer university near home.. my dad sends me 250 a week to cover rent and food so all up he sends about 1000 a month and i still got money left over i save that hoping to buy a laptop for second year my parents dont want me to get a job they think it's a waste of time all they want me to do is study they think if i get a job that will take away more study time .. but oh well education used to be free before going to uni was free ..fuck john howard and his system doesnt he know that we all dont have a money tree in our backyard honestly... =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)