banana bread (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
does anyone know the recipe for the banana bread u can buy commercially from places like gloria jeans and various random cafes?

its so good and i cant find any recipes for the quality of that one ANYWHERE.

Skeeta

HSC
gloria jeans buys it from a supplier (its not a gloria jeans product)

i know you can buy a loaf of it from Michelles Patisserie (sp?) for about $15
its quite expensive

HSC
yummii ..

oh i had bananda bread at this place in epping ages ago .. Dharma Design .. OMG it was sooo dry.... i ended gulping down half a bottle of water... as for gloria jeans .. i hear it nice.. havent tried yet.. but will BUT DO NOTTTT eat Spinach Quiche form there YUCKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

umm serach on the net.. should be heaps right?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You will find a lot of cafes sell banana bread, not just gloria jeans

Goddamn awesome toasted and buttered to sexy perfection.

I've been having it every Wednesday morning (just happens that way) since early last year. I'm kinda getting sick of it now. But yes, awesome a la awesome.

Banana bread is pretty generic and very simple to make, just google it.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Except, the cost of bananas currently means that a loaf which would have cost you about $5 to make pre-Larry now probably costs you about $15?

PrettyVacant

HSC
I only discovered my love for bananas after the cyclone.
It's so sad.
I bet you when prices go down, I won't like it anymore.

giggleite

HSC
N/A
banana bread is awesome toasted with butter and jam. strawberry to be precise. And it has to be a perfect thickness. Some places cut it way too thin.

pig_93

HSC
i mean the real stuff.
not the crap stuff u can make urself
gloria jeans stuff.
commercial shit...

does NO ONE have the answer!?

im dying...

Skeeta

HSC
we dont make the bread so we dont know the recipe

and i seriously doubt that you are going to get the exact recipe for the banana bread - its a massive company that sells it, i dont think they're huge on giving their recipe away

its the reason business is good

L

littlewing69

pig_93 said:
i mean the real stuff.
not the crap stuff u can make urself
gloria jeans stuff.
commercial shit...

does NO ONE have the answer!?

im dying...

What, do you think they have the secret herbs and spices or some shit? Just make it yourself, try a few recipes, see which one works out best.

Mel_b

HSC
The place that supplies pretty much everywhere except Muffin Break is called Bob & Pete's. You won't get their recipe.

Muffin Break makes their own, and it's as good, if not better. Because it has walnuts in it. Everyone loves walnuts.

Anyway. Find someone who works at muffin break, because they have a big folder with the recipe in it - each store makes its own. I used to work there, but didn't think to get the recipe before I left.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
This was in the weekend Good Weekend section of the SMH for this weekend 16th and 17th September.

Any fool can cook Banana Bread by Matthew Evans

You wouldn't want to throw a banana away. Especially not when its dark skinned and ripe and full of flavour. Now that they're more affordable its time to keep a recipe on hand for when they become too ripe to eat fresh.

Banana bread (makes 1 modest loaf)
You can put overripe bananas in the freezer whole if you're not going to use them immediately. They keep really well and come out soft and soggy, perfect for cooking.

80g butter, softened
110g (just over 1/2 cup) caster sugar
60g (about 1/3 cup) dark brown sugar or brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Kahula or Tia Maria (optional)
1 egg
275g ripe bananas flesh mashed well (about 4 small to medium bananas - juust over 1 cup of flesh)
100g unsalted chopped walnuts or similar
250g (just under 2 cups) plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius and line a 20 m loaf tin or similar.

Beat the butter with the sugars until very light and pale. Beat in the vanilla, optional liquer and the egg. Fold in the banana and nuts.

Sift the flour with the baking power and bicarb and fold in too. Pour into the loaf tin and bake for about 40 to 55 minutes or until cooked through. Test with a skewer.

Allow to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then serve sliced, at room temperature with butter or toast it and smear on a generous dollop of butter to make it soft and tender and incredible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)