Band 4-5 in English Advanced (1 Viewer)

KimChhoeu

HSC
Hey there,

Quite new to the forums. Would like some advice as to how, what I estimate to be my HSC english advanced mark, would impact my ATAR. I currently do Economics, Business Studies, Advanced English, Studies of Religion (1U) and Ext 1. Math (Planning to do 4U).

In the best case scenario I achieve a band 6 or E4 for all subjects other than English Advanced (most probable would be between Band 4-5), what ATAR am I likely to receive? If it's below 90, I'm considering to get an English tutor (would it be worth it?)
Thanks in advance.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, if you are planning to take all these subjects plus Mathematics Extension 2, you will end up with 11 units. English Advanced will count towards your ATAR regardless of whether you're taking more than 10 units, because the best 2 units of English count towards your ATAR. With 11 units, one unit will not count and that unit will be determined based on your performance. For example, all 4 units of maths can count towards your ATAR and Studies of Religion I may be the unit that won't count towards your ATAR.

Assuming you get a 75 for English Advanced (which would be between a mid band 4) as well as 90 (or 45 in the case of Extension subjects) for the rest of your subjects, you can get an ATAR between 93 and 95. Does that mean you shouldn't focus on English Advanced as much? Probably not. You should focus on all of your subjects, including English Advanced, as a high ATAR relies on consistently good performance across all subjects, not on the assumption that you can achieve band 6's/E4's in all of your other subjects, because unless you're regularly studying and staying up-to-date with content (resulting in favourable performance in assessment tasks/exams), you cannot necessarily guarantee consistent band 6's/E4's across your subjects.

Regarding whether or not you should get a tutor. I believe that regularly seeking feedback from your teacher would help in determining this. Seeking feedback will normally allow you to receive more suggestions, which you can implement to improve your written pieces and regularly doing so will allow for consistent improvements each time you request feedback. This will become particularly relevant as you commence year 12. However, if you feel that you are not improving despite constantly receiving feedback, you should probably consider getting an English tutor.

I hope this helps! :D

#26MysteryMarker

HSC
In the best case scenario I achieve a band 6 or E4 for all subjects other than English Advanced (most probable would be between Band 4-5), what ATAR am I likely to receive? If it's below 90, I'm considering to get an English tutor (would it be worth it?)
You're not going to drop below 90 if you get B4/5 in adv (given you ace everything else).

Also, It sounds like you've "accepted" a B4/5 even before the test. If you're capable of doing well in other subjects, I can't see why a B6 isn't possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)