Band 6 - Advanced English (1 Viewer)

ishq

brown?
HSC
sikeveo said:
It makes no difference :rolleyes:.
Yes, i know. :)

But I think that - if marking is about the same - I should get a similar mark in the HSC ... hopefully :)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Not really. You're forgetting moderating and aligning. If your school is particularly not good at english, then it is wise not to expect that you will get the same mark as your raw mark.

HSC
N/A
silvermoon said:
uhuh. i hear you. selective school scaling is a complete bitch. never mind. it's over.
Did you go to Normo, Eagles? (I'm an ex-hornsby girl, so the mere mention of the "h" word makes me prick up my ears)

In defence of selective schools, we try hard... I know I'm stating the obvious here but if they didn't mark us hard (forcing us to work really hard) then we wouldn't learn as much as we do...

I think I get the scaling thing, though. There's a lot of pressure to do really well... and if you don't.... *gulp*

ishq

brown?
HSC
sikeveo said:
Not really. You're forgetting moderating and aligning. If your school is particularly not good at english, then it is wise not to expect that you will get the same mark as your raw mark.
I considered that.
We got around 6 band 6's last year with a top mark of 93. Similar for the year before - its a normal state school.

Would you expect this number to change dramatically?

I went to the same school as glitterfairy for my junior years. :) The dislike of the junior summer uniform however... :rolleyes:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i got 95 and 95 for internal and external
i went to rank 1 after getting 100 in the trial, i was very happy

ishq

brown?
HSC
gordo said:
i went to rank 1 after getting 100 in the trial, i was very happy
A 100 in the trial.
Nice :)

A l

HSC
N/A
ishq said:
I considered that.
We got around 6 band 6's last year with a top mark of 93. Similar for the year before - its a normal state school.
There were four band 6 results last year from my school for English (Advanced). No offence, but our Class of 2004 were pretty bad at English, especially taking into account that there were twelve band 6 results from the Class of 2003. What makes it embarrassing is that we are a selective school, well actually a semi-selective school.
How many would it be this year? Wait and see...

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Did you go to Normo, Eagles? (I'm an ex-hornsby girl, so the mere mention of the "h" word makes me prick up my ears)

In defence of selective schools, we try hard... I know I'm stating the obvious here but if they didn't mark us hard (forcing us to work really hard) then we wouldn't learn as much as we do...

I think I get the scaling thing, though. There's a lot of pressure to do really well... and if you don't.... *gulp*
no, i agree, it's just that the majority of the staff at my high school had been there for around the 20yr mark, so they were there before it became a selective school. there was no difference in the teaching, just in the scaling. But that's more of an isolated case.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ishq said:
I considered that.

I went to the same school as glitterfairy for my junior years. :) The dislike of the junior summer uniform however... :rolleyes:
well, the quality of the candidates changes from year to year, so i can be hard to tell - however, although marks do fluctuate, results show that the figures are usually similiar

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
ishq said:
I considered that.

With Comprehensive schools it's hard to predict the trend in band 6's since there are no selection procedures thus the quality of each grade is not constant.

Simple solution, just be rank 1.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Yes I did.. we had the best(worst) muck up day ever!

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
I came freaking 12th in my grade. There goes my band 6 for english. I was considering suicide but that seems too harsh, I think I'll settle for slitting the wrist. </emo>

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
silvermoon said:
why does 12th mean you can't get a band six? it depends on the mark really. especially if the marks were close together
I called the psychic hotline. She told me. :(

The marks were close together I guess, 5 marks seperated 3rd and 12th. But still, I have a feeling I wont be able to get a band 6 unless I perform especially well in the HSC itself. Time shall tell...

HSC
N/A
Uh, if you think 12 is bad, wait till you see some of my rankings. Ranks can mean squat, particularly if the marks are close together, and/or is your school does well as a whole.

I remember my Eng Adv rankings being somewhere around the 40 mark. I still got a band 6.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
HGHS <> HBHS

Girls' schools are good at english, on the other hand boys' schools struggle.

HSC
N/A
Homebush Boy's High School? I was performing there the other night...

On the other (and more important) topic of discussion, exact rankings within a class don't matter so long that AS A COLLECTIVE GROUP, YOU DO WELL.

If you've been getting band 6's for most previous assesments, survey says you'll get a Band 6 for your external mark as well. On the other hand, if you've only been getting band 3 or 4, 6 might be a little unrealistic unless you put some good study hours in (then it *does* become realistically possible). There is still time between now and the HSC - use it to your best advantage, and don't give up until the whole thing's over and you're safely in Uni! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)