Band 6 in chemistry, despite utterly and miserably failing prelim? (1 Viewer)

Power Rangers

HSC
N/A
I got an email from my chemistry teacher telling me i'm capable of getting band 6, but that im not quite there yet and need a little more work. The teacher wants me to do HSC questions in my own time and then send it via email for marking because, "I want you to do very well in chem".

Thing is, I was getting 40% in prelim chemistry, so how the hell am I going to get a band 6?
I'm PRAYING for a band 5 in chemistry.
I doubled my mark though. I was consistently getting around ~40% in year 11, and in year 12, now that i'm actually trying, i'm getting ~80% (I don't really do my homework, but i listen in class now and do classwork)

Tbh, I didn't try in chem last year and never did my work, so now I have a really weak foundation in chemistry. I have no clue with calculations (i.e. molar heat of combustion and that sorta crap) and I don't have the time to teach myself chemistry again.

Is it possible to get band 6 in chemistry when you know nothing from prelim chem and don't know how to do calculations? :p

Edit: I ranked 12th in semester one, and then ranked 7th in semester two (of year 11). Now i'm coming 3rd in HSC Chemistry. There are like... 22 people that do chemistry.

Last edited:

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Yes it is possible but you just have to go the extra mile to put in the effort and work to do it, and it's a good thing your teacher has a lot of support for you and you should use that your advantage.

HSC
Band 6 is always possible for anything. With CHemistry, you have to revise that shit REGULARLY, because it's pretty hard cramming it in. THat way you can practice exam questions when the exams are nearby instead of memorising

Coookies

HSC
Im on the same boat, except I don't have that potential lol. I was getting 30% in prelim (didn't understand anything) but now that I'm trying, I'm doing okay. Not quite band 6 material, but okay. But any questions from prelim work, I'll get wrong. Like ionic bonding, covalent bonding, I still don't know what they are :/

Power Rangers

HSC
N/A
Im on the same boat, except I don't have that potential lol. I was getting 30% in prelim (didn't understand anything) but now that I'm trying, I'm doing okay. Not quite band 6 material, but okay. But any questions from prelim work, I'll get wrong. Like ionic bonding, covalent bonding, I still don't know what they are :/
Trust me, i'm not very smart. I've gotten away with a lot of things by being able to bullshit really well (i.e. business studies. I consistently got 90+ in all tasks last year despite literally having not touched the textbook). But the thing is, you can't bullshit chemistry. You know it, or you don't.

Ionic bonding= metals and non metals
covalent bonding= non metals?
(that's all I know, lol)

Also, I worked really hard on my first chem task. I redid the ENTIRE THING at 1am in the morning because I wasn't happy with it. Now that's dedication :p

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC
Calculations are the free marks in the HSC because either you know the method or you don't.

The short/long responses are where you lose your marks because the marking criteria can be very specific or you may have forgotten bits of content.

The chemistry skills you acquire (mole calculations, enthalpy, etc.) are very important as you'll repeatedly use these same skills in year 12.

I've taken some pages from KISS preliminary notes for you to revise as i believe these concepts are absolutely necessary for year 12 chemistry!

http://www.mediafire.com/?072upy7e3ztc7zl

Last edited:

Power Rangers

HSC
N/A
Lol. A 91 in chem (with industrial chemistry) was only 71% this year.
You'll be fine. :p
I think the written part of chem i'll do well in, but it's just the stuff that builds on what we learn in year 11 that'll screw me over...
Calculations are the free marks in the HSC because either you know the method or you don't.

The short/long responses are where you lose your marks because the marking criteria can be very specific or you may have forgotten bits of content.

The chemistry skills you acquire (mole calculations, enthalpy, etc.) are very important as you'll repeatedly use these same skills in year 12.

I've taken some pages from KISS preliminary notes for you to revise as i believe these concepts are absolutely necessary for year 12 chemistry!

http://www.mediafire.com/?5nkefsibx57edd2
awww :cry:
thank you so much, man <3

I really appreciate it.
So the only calculations we learnt in year 11 were moles and heat capacity (to be honest, I have no idea because I didn't learn them)

nightweaver066

HSC
I think the written part of chem i'll do well in, but it's just the stuff that builds on what we learn in year 11 that'll screw me over...

awww :cry:
thank you so much, man <3

I really appreciate it.
So the only calculations we learnt in year 11 were moles and heat capacity (to be honest, I have no idea because I didn't learn them)
No problem! I think those are the main calculations although i may have forgotten something.

If you need any further clarifications with any of those concepts, feel free to PM me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)