band 6 in maths sc (1 Viewer)

HayleeKate

HSC
To achieve Band 6 in maths SC:
Write your name on the paper, attend no classes throughout the year, go enjoy your youth.. you'll enter the exam far less stressed, and with all the knowledge you need.

Everyone who said they got band 6's in previous posts, theyre all just estimating.. because no one gives a shit about SC and everyone forgets what they got 2 minutes after they recieve the marks.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
does this mean i'm a dumbarse for maths since i only pulled out an 83? :p i missed out the whole last page of non-calc. didnt check the back :p but now i am doing extension maths and still getting above average in it. so its up to you. throughout year 10 i did jack shit. the night before SC's id just be on msn.

A l

HSC
N/A
Lord Pheasant said:
I got 98 in maths last year with minimal study. If you're good at maths, then you won't be challenged at all. It's more a question of exam technique more than anything else, so just READ THE QUESTIONS e.g. I had to measure the area of some rug thing and I didn't look to the question to see I had to subtract some other area (isn't it annoying when you realise your mistakes as soon as you leave the exam room?). If you must study, then just do practice and past papers.
LoL, I got 98 for my Mathematics School Certificate exam as well. What really frustrated me was that the 2 marks I lost were from MULTIPLE CHOICE questions!

You can be as paranoid as you want about the Mathematics School Certificate. You can study as much as you want, don't let anyone stop you. In my opinion, your school should give you enough preparation for the exams. Extra study won't do much at all in my opinion. The School Certificate and the syllabus of years 7-10, in Mathematics are mainly based on skills. If you want to do well in the School Certificate exams, practice papers is the way to go rather than intensive study.

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
I just read over the excel mini book thingy about 10 times b4 the exam, and did all my h/w and nothing more, and got 93.
Another good help is having an awesome teacher.

Alaranth

All those saying SC doesn't matter, ok, it doesn't matter now, BUT IT MATTERS TO YR10'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just remember that guys, it's easy to say don't care, but it's harder to do. Also (eg in english) your SC results decide whether ur put in Standard or Advanced in yr11. At my school, the first half or yr11 was common, and after that ppl were allowed to move if they really wanted, but they were discouraged. If you got <85, you were Standard.

Anyways, with maths, I missed most of the yr9 basics work, so I studied a bit, using Excel and my text for harder topics. Got 87. Now getting 90+ in 2u. I wasn't very good at the study thing though, so I guess I studied about medium. From memory, there were some Q's where I was glad I did.

Oh, and interesting fact, in the trial exam for Advanced Maths, I got 40/120. The top mark was 90, the average was 20. The average band in the SC was 4. I thought that was interesting.

P

pLuvia

Kyroth said:
All those saying SC doesn't matter, ok, it doesn't matter now, BUT IT MATTERS TO YR10'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just remember that guys, it's easy to say don't care, but it's harder to do. Also (eg in english) your SC results decide whether ur put in Standard or Advanced in yr11. At my school, the first half or yr11 was common, and after that ppl were allowed to move if they really wanted, but they were discouraged. If you got <85, you were Standard.

Anyways, with maths, I missed most of the yr9 basics work, so I studied a bit, using Excel and my text for harder topics. Got 87. Now getting 90+ in 2u. I wasn't very good at the study thing though, so I guess I studied about medium. From memory, there were some Q's where I was glad I did.

Oh, and interesting fact, in the trial exam for Advanced Maths, I got 40/120. The top mark was 90, the average was 20. The average band in the SC was 4. I thought that was interesting.
just try to answer every Question.. u neva no wen it mite be right ;)...

HSC
speedo said:
how should i study for maths if i want band6 in the sc
if ur doing advanced maths and ur doing well, just do chapter reviews of the standard course... if u find that piss... u'll find the SC piss...
something i really dont like about this website is that everyone ASSUMES that everyone else is going on to yr 11/12... we hafta remember that it is perfectly fine to leave at the end of yr 10, for some people school is just not for them, and they do learn better in a practical environment (eg, apprenticeships) so guys... just remember, when someone wants to do well in their SC it might just be bcoz they want to get into a good tafe course, or they want to have it good on their resume, or they need it for SOMETHING...

just remember ..... dont assume that everyone is going on to the Prelim & HSC course... and dont judge people who dont

im outi!

EDIT: also dont forget that some of us humans are just naturally smart and sum ppl have to work their arses off to get a band 3... be considerate, i dont know if this website has done that much for my self esteem... i used to think 80% was good!

Last edited:

sarahn

HSC
by all means go for it and study and stuff (as others have said, your best bet is practising past papers) but just remember...

1. you'll probably remember/care about your mark for only the ten minutes after you get it
2. sc results arent indicative of hsc results: the girl who is topping 4u and 3u at my school didnt get band 6 in the school certificate - and she's barely lost a mark this year, while the kid who got 98 is close to failing in 3u
3. if youre decent at maths you DONT need to study AT ALL to get band 6...just know how to add and subtract!

P

pLuvia

b4 my sc test we had our trials.. i studied my ass of for that.. and wen it came to the sc.. i seriously couldnt be bothered to study ne harder.. but because i studied like mostly evrything in the yrlys.. i did ok... but without that much study i did lots of past papers.. pretty easy... for the sc u neednt not to study that much.. coz its mostly all yr 7 and 8 and abit of 9 and 10.. :D gud luck guys..~~!

BoganBoy

HSC
Of all the people who have said they've got band 6 in math, do u guys realise that less than 10% of the state actually do get band 6? so please do not say its a very easy exam, in case we offend anymore ppl there. but i got band 6, so yeah, LETS JUST HAVE A PARTY!!!

P

pLuvia

BoganBoy said:
Of all the people who have said they've got band 6 in math, do u guys realise that less than 10% of the state actually do get band 6? so please do not say its a very easy exam, in case we offend anymore ppl there. but i got band 6, so yeah, LETS JUST HAVE A PARTY!!!
hahaha... nice man

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I got 99 in the Maths SC last year. What did I do?

Jack off about 3 times a day, listen to Korn and Led Zeppelin (I'm a Pink Floyd man now), and dude, I'm not takin it seriosuly because I know it means little to my HSC. Stuff it man. Get 83, everyone will forget the week after.

HSC
BoganBoy said:

you have a really good point there... i think that alot of people on this site are very naturally intelligent, i know for a fact i am naturally quite smart, as i don put in much effort and i do gain above average results... the fact is tho, as bogan boy said... less than 10% of the state actually do get those band 6 results... that equates to over 90% dont get it... what i am saying is be warey of what you are saying, people come on here for help, not to see other people showing off about their relaxed intelligence

Cityboy

HSC
School cert means shit all, I dodn't do history at all in Year 10, did no study for the subject, rocked up on the day made up bullshit and got 93, also in Maths if u cant get band 6 in SC then you have no hope for HSC as SC goves a formula sheet and it is basically a substitution exam

HSC
Cityboy said:
School cert means shit all, I dodn't do history at all in Year 10, did no study for the subject, rocked up on the day made up bullshit and got 93, also in Maths if u cant get band 6 in SC then you have no hope for HSC as SC goves a formula sheet and it is basically a substitution exam
you're all as bad as each other... for your info, i was coming 1st in my advanced maths class in yr 10, and den i just fucked up the SC bcoz i had a big head about it n i got a low band 5... i am doing extn 1 maths @ the mo and my teacher is happy with my progress... dont go around telling people they have no hope for the HSC if they dont get a band 6 for maths... i think im gonna leave dis website n neva come back, you people are horrible

HSC
Cityboy said:
its a bit narrow minded to think that if you flunk the SC you're all of a sudden a failure for the HSC, I was only getting C's in year 10 averaging 70%, now im averaging high 80s, this isnt through magic, its through hard work

my brother and sister got about band 3 SC and then in the HSC 94/96 (respective) UAI (or TER when my sister did it)

dont be worried if you find SC difficult, not everyone is the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)