Band 6 Still Achievable? (Chemistry) (1 Viewer)

zhertec

HSC
I was wondering if a band 6 for chemistry would still be achievable with these marks/ranks:

Average Mark: 83

Rank: Semester 2: (haven't received the ranks but just an estimate of future rank) 60-70 dunno hard to estimate, if I'm lucky maybe it will increase...
Average Mark: Around 76 I would guess.

School rank: Top 20 for the past 7 ish years I think..

So if I were to do better in the externals, would I still be able to achieve a band 6 (90+) with scaling, alignment etc?

Edit: Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, is state rank solely determined by the externals?
Thanks
Zhertec

Last edited:

zhertec

HSC
Oh sorry lol forgot to mention that the numbers after semester are ranks and the ones below are internal assessment marks :L

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I was wondering if a band 6 for chemistry would still be achievable with these marks/ranks:

Semester 1: 52/106
Average: 83

Semester 2: (haven't received the ranks but just an estimate of future rank) 60-70 dunno hard to estimate, if I'm lucky maybe it will increase...
Average: Around 76 I would guess.

So if I were to do better in the externals, would I still be able to achieve a band 6 (90+) with scaling, alignment etc?

Edit: Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, is state rank solely determined by the externals?
Thanks
Zhertec
heyyy new member! On BOS it's a must to provide your internal assessment ranks for a subject otherwise we go nuts :alone:

QZP

HSC
State rank is definitely NOT solely on external

zhertec

HSC
According to some thread I read previously on BOS, someone said something along the lines of "State rank is determined by externals unless you tie with another student in the state, in which the internals will then be considered", don't quote me on that though lol

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Average Mark: 83

Rank: Semester 2: (haven't received the ranks but just an estimate of future rank) 60-70 dunno hard to estimate, if I'm lucky maybe it will increase...
Average Mark: Around 76 I would guess.

Thanks
Zhertec
yes

zhertec

HSC
What mark should I aim for in my externals to ensure a mid band 6?

HSC
~high 70s
Wouldn't it be much higher? the raw marks for 90 & 95 have a significant gap don't they?

And zhertec if you're aiming for mid band 6 in chem, you have to know your stuff back to front and show extensive knowledge for every syllabus dot point. HSC marking for chem is harsh and they're very picky

Last edited:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
According to some thread I read previously on BOS, someone said something along the lines of "State rank is determined by externals unless you tie with another student in the state, in which the internals will then be considered", don't quote me on that though lol
You will need minimum like 88 raw and even better 90 raw. You still have plenty of time until hsc to perfect your answers. Mark them aswell and see if you have met the marking criteria. Chem marking criteria is not black and white. After doing several questions you'll get the jist :)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
You will need minimum like 88 raw and even better 90 raw. You still have plenty of time until hsc to perfect your answers. Mark them aswell and see if you have met the marking criteria. Chem marking criteria is not black and white. After doing several questions you'll get the jist :)
If you wanna state rank then yeah, you'll have to get these raws.

zhertec

HSC
Wait dw I read it properly it's overall HSC mark dependent (state rank that is), btw anyone have a general idea of how much chemistry scales in terms of raw marks to externals?

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Wait dw I read it properly it's overall HSC mark dependent (state rank that is), btw anyone have a general idea of how much chemistry scales in terms of raw marks to externals?
The better you get, the better it aligns. Usually a low 80 aligns to a 90+

HSC
It seems like you're confused with the terminology...

BOS (Board of Studies) does the raw mark to HSC mark stuff and scaling is solely done by UAC. UAC DOES SCALING AND NO ONE ELSE DOES. For each subject UAC scales the marks, and in the HSC what determines your atar is the addition of your scaled marks (which you will not get) which will form an aggregate score out of 500. An aggregate score of roughly 370/500 is 90 atar, 400/500 is 95 atar, 450/500 is 99+atar. All subjects are scaled in regards to difficulty. Almost all subject scales down (if you don't get a band 6) except for extension 1 & 2 mathematics and a few languages like latin and classical greek. There are some subjects which scale down regardless of getting a band 6, because when compared to other subjects, they are not as challenging. For example general maths scales bad even if you get a high band 6. Last year i believe a 95 or 96 in general scaled down to the 80 range.

Okay now raw marks and externals. Every year when the people who make the exams, they determine a raw mark out of a 100 to be aligned to every band (band as in band 1, band 2.... band 6). For chemistry, every year, the raw mark for a band 6 (so getting a HSC mark of 90) has been roughly between 72-76. That means in the external HSC exam (the one that everyone sits), you get a raw mark anywhere between that range or higher then you will get a band 6. However this low mark should not change your mindset into thinking that "oh thats so easy" because its not. Sciences are renowned for having harsh marking criterias, they are very picky and want you to be detailed as well as concise at the same time. I don't know your capabilities and you might get a high band 6 but im talking in general. Chem marking criteria is very harsh, so if you want a high band 6 (95+) you literally need to get a raw mark of 88+ which is considerably difficult. Pretty much your aiming to get a mark close to state ranking.

Now if you want a b6 just study your ass off, and considering your accelerating chem, you should be able to get a band 6, since its the only subject you're sitting the HSC for this year and you can focus so much of your time on just chem

Last edited:

hi im trash

HSC
It seems like you're confused with the terminology...

BOS (Board of Studies) does the raw mark to HSC mark stuff and scaling is solely done by UAC. UAC DOES SCALING AND NO ONE ELSE DOES. For each subject UAC scales the marks, and in the HSC what determines your atar is the addition of your scaled marks (which you will not get) which will form an aggregate score out of 500. An aggregate score of roughly 370/500 is 90 atar, 400/500 is 95 atar, 450/500 is 99+atar. All subjects are scaled in regards to difficulty. Almost all subject scales down (if you don't get a band 6) except for extension 1 & 2 mathematics and a few languages like latin and classical greek. There are some subjects which scale down regardless of getting a band 6, because when compared to other subjects, they are not as challenging. For example general maths scales bad even if you get a high band 6. Last year i believe a 95 or 96 in general scaled down to the 80 range.

Okay now raw marks and externals. Every year when the people who make the exams, they determine a raw mark out of a 100 to be aligned to every band (band as in band 1, band 2.... band 6). For chemistry, every year, the raw mark for a band 6 (so getting a HSC mark of 90) has been roughly between 72-76. That means in the external HSC exam (the one that everyone sits), you get a raw mark anywhere between that range or higher then you will get a band 6. However this low mark should not change your mindset into thinking that "oh thats so easy" because its not. Sciences are renowned for having harsh marking criterias, they are very picky and want you to be detailed as well as concise at the same time. I don't know your capabilities and you might get a high band 6 but im talking in general. Chem marking criteria is very harsh, so if you want a high band 6 (95+) you literally need to get a raw mark of 88+ which is considerably difficult. Pretty much your aiming to get a mark close to state ranking.

Now if you want a b6 just study your ass off, and considering your accelerating chem, you should be able to get a band 6, since its the only subject you're sitting the HSC for this year and you can focus so much of your time on just chem
Sorry i cannot add to the OP's discussion but im curious to the bolded and underlined statement. Does that mean that purely your RAW MARK determines your band within that subject, not HSC mark which takes into account your internal marks?

HSC
Sorry i cannot add to the OP's discussion but im curious to the bolded and underlined statement. Does that mean that purely your RAW MARK determines your band within that subject, not HSC mark which takes into account your internal marks?
Whatever band you get is determined by the average of internal & external mark. I was just explaining what raw marks in the HSC exam constitute to a HSC mark of 90+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)