Band 6 Unreachable? (1 Viewer)

Is a 45/50 still possible?

• Total voters

AKONS

HSC
Im currently rank 52/69 for 4U at a school that regularly gets 30 band 4s (40+/50) , and 38 Band 3s (30-39/50) for HSC Math ex 2.

If I for my 3rd assessment and trials, I get in the top 20 for both, is it possible for me to achieve a final HSC mark of 45/50 for 4u?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
A top 20 rank would be a significant improvement from your current rank. If you are able to perform well enough in your 3rd assessment and trials, you will be in a much better position, meaning a higher chance of getting an E4.

Once you’re there, your focus must shift to the HSC exam as that is worth 50% and plays an important role in determining whether you’ll be able to get a band E4 in 4U.

Qeru

HSC
Im currently rank 52/69 for 4U at a school that regularly gets 30 band 4s (40+/50) , and 38 Band 3s (30-39/50) for HSC Math ex 2.

If I for my 3rd assessment and trials, I get in the top 20 for both, is it possible for me to achieve a final HSC mark of 45/50 for 4u?
Creative use of poll lol.

AKONS

HSC
A top 20 rank would be a significant improvement from your current rank. If you are able to perform well enough in your 3rd assessment and trials, you will be in a much better position, meaning a higher chance of getting an E4.

Once you’re there, your focus must shift to the HSC exam as that is worth 50% and plays an important role in determining whether you’ll be able to get a band E4 in 4U.
Thank you for your speedy and in-depth answer jimmysmith560. I really appreciate it :) I'm so happy it's still possible!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
is it possible for me to achieve a final HSC mark of 45/50 for 4u?
Bear in mind that your HSC mark is determined by your performance on the exam. At this point, it is theoretically possible for every MX2 student in the state to score exactly 100% raw on the exam and score 50/50 for the unit. It is also stretching the laws of probability a little... after all, quantum tunnelling says that it is not impossible for my body to suddenly pass through the chair on which I am sitting, and the floor below it, and suddenly find myself downstairs, but I am even less worried about that happening than I am about catching COVID while bungee jumping off the Harbour Bridge to just reach the surface below and find that the entire harbour is filled with liquid chocolate.

Regarding your moderated assessment mark, there is nothing that you can do about assessments that have passed except to learn from them. How you could have better prepared, what areas of weakness were revealed, such considerations are useful... but obsessing about how much better you could have done if only you had a time machine and could go back and re do the test is about as productive as sleeping with a textbook under your pillow on the theory that knowledge will seep in through your ears overnight.

I know some of this may seem silly, but it is meant to highlight that focus on what you do have power to change / influence is the way forward. Use the past to guide future actions where that is useful and set aside unproductive lines of thought. This is far more easily said than done, I admit...

Good luck with it!

tito981

HSC
remember that 4u is the highest scaling subject, so a score of 88,89/100 would suffice for your atar goal. this also means that at the high end of atars, it isn't necessary to get 2-3 marks more than an 88/100 to get a 98+ atar as scaling has less of an impact the higher your mark goes.

AKONS

HSC
Bear in mind that your HSC mark is determined by your performance on the exam. At this point, it is theoretically possible for every MX2 student in the state to score exactly 100% raw on the exam and score 50/50 for the unit. It is also stretching the laws of probability a little... after all, quantum tunnelling says that it is not impossible for my body to suddenly pass through the chair on which I am sitting, and the floor below it, and suddenly find myself downstairs, but I am even less worried about that happening than I am about catching COVID while bungee jumping off the Harbour Bridge to just reach the surface below and find that the entire harbour is filled with liquid chocolate.

Regarding your moderated assessment mark, there is nothing that you can do about assessments that have passed except to learn from them. How you could have better prepared, what areas of weakness were revealed, such considerations are useful... but obsessing about how much better you could have done if only you had a time machine and could go back and re do the test is about as productive as sleeping with a textbook under your pillow on the theory that knowledge will seep in through your ears overnight.

I know some of this may seem silly, but it is meant to highlight that focus on what you do have power to change / influence is the way forward. Use the past to guide future actions where that is useful and set aside unproductive lines of thought. This is far more easily said than done, I admit...

Good luck with it!
CM_Tutor you're absolutely right. As much as I'd love to travel back in time, the past can't be changed. Thank you for taking the time to help me out for this. I really appreciate this amazing community!

AKONS

HSC
remember that 4u is the highest scaling subject, so a score of 88,89/100 would suffice for your atar goal. this also means that at the high end of atars, it isn't necessary to get 2-3 marks more than an 88/100 to get a 98+ atar as scaling has less of an impact the higher your mark goes.
I've actually never noticed scaling's decreasing effect the higher the mark. Thanks tito981 :)

tito981

HSC
I've actually never noticed scaling's decreasing effect the higher the mark. Thanks tito981 :)
no problem, this is actually important if you want to maximise your marks as certain subjects still require higher marks (95+) for your overall atar to be high (98+), these subjects are typically the 'worse' scaling ones. to maximise your atar you should place more study time and effort on those that scale worse, which increases your aggregate mark , which is what your atar is based on. If you achieve a decent mark in a high scaling subject such as mx2, it will contribute less to your aggregate than improving the same amount in a worse scaling subject.

quickoats

HSC
Yeah diminishing returns. I got 99 in 4u but that wasn’t really that useful - would’ve rather some more marks elsewhere :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)