band cut offs (1 Viewer)

nicola.jade.xx

HSC
raw mark for 2u

i added up my marks for the paper and i reckon i got about 77-79/120 which isn't really the best but anyway just wondering if anyone has a definite idea of what kind of mark it would scale to? roughly?

robm

HSC
Re: raw mark for 2u

probably a low band 5, i got roughly the same mark as well, so hopefully it will reach the band 5 mark :uhoh:

neeny

HSC
question ten was good... well wouldve been if i hadnt wasted so much time on 8 and 9!!!! (in response to previous statements)
i want 90, but thats looking increasingly unlikely.

blackratpoo

HSC
i say 105 for band 6. still a lot of people that went really well, and you are all been a little dreamy. i say 89 for B5, 75 for B4, 65 for B3, 55 for B2. i think i got a raw 90 or so and pumped for a band 5. dream on though 09 ers.

Bboy-twoFousand

<--JAWR--> Only the Best
HSC
i say 105 for band 6. Still a lot of people that went really well, and you are all been a little dreamy. I say 89 for b5, 75 for b4, 65 for b3, 55 for b2. I think i got a raw 90 or so and pumped for a band 5. Dream on though 09 ers.
+1

Snoople

HSC
honestly i thought 2008 was a lot easier
i did it the night before and got nearly 100/120 with stupid mistakes
got up to question 10 with very little trouble

whereas this years paper i feel like i only got like 80/120 or something crap like that...

thats just my opinion though.. hope i can scrape a mid-high band5 but we'll see

La Bomba

HSC
no way would 55=band 2, 72/120 =83% in 2003, and 2009 was much harder. 55+/120 should = band 4. 65+/120 shuld = band 5 this year

boxhunter91

HSC
Idk 2003 was preety easy.
I say they are on par.
Thecorey0 what would you think 90+ would be?
Like a 96/120?

Venom.

HSC
You guys are a bunch of nutcases. That was a HARD test, I wouldnt be surprised if the cutoff was a good 2 or 3 marks lower than 2003. Don't stress o9 maths failers, there's alot of people in the same boat.

:party:

Snoople

HSC
You guys are a bunch of nutcases. That was a HARD test, I wouldnt be surprised if the cutoff was a good 2 or 3 marks lower than 2003. Don't stress o9 maths failers, there's alot of people in the same boat.

i love you<3

Thecorey0

HSC

Idk 2003 was preety easy.
I say they are on par.
Thecorey0 what would you think 90+ would be?
Like a 96/120?
I maintain that it was not hard. As I have said elsewhere people percieve it to be hard because the exam committee decided to take a new approach. This year's paper tested your understanding of the topics studied. The rollercoaster question, which many struggled with, is an example of a not so hard question over-exaggerated on these forums because people had not seen anything like it before and hence did not understand the math behind it. In hindsight most are probably hitting themself over it. However Venom, I will agree that the cutoff will be lower. Although we will never know, I would bet the average raw mark from this paper throughout the state is lower then normal, not because of its hardness, but because of the new direction the exam committee is hopefully headed. In 2001 it was 96ish. My guess is that it will be 92-93ish because most of the state generally speaking, will struggle.

Personally I was disappointed with question 10. Currently all the marks I have lost have sadly occurred in questions 3-4. I wrecked a perfectly good chance to get a great mark - easy q10 on a paper with a low-cutoff.

Just my 2 cents - end of rant, sorry if I have offended anyone, the head teacher of maths at my school - marked for 30ish years, agrees with me.

Oh, and I should have mentioned this before. Difficulty is relative. The cut-offs will depend on the quality of the cohort. We will wait and see how many people get 120 and/or first in the state.

absorber

HSC
I maintain that it was not hard. As I have said elsewhere people percieve it to be hard because the exam committee decided to take a new approach. This year's paper tested your understanding of the topics studied. The rollercoaster question, which many struggled with, is an example of a not so hard question over-exaggerated on these forums because people had not seen anything like it before and hence did not understand the math behind it. In hindsight most are probably hitting themself over it. However Venom, I will agree that the cutoff will be lower. Although we will never know, I would bet the average raw mark from this paper throughout the state is lower then normal, not because of its hardness, but because of the new direction the exam committee is hopefully headed. In 2001 it was 96ish. My guess is that it will be 92-93ish because most of the state generally speaking, will struggle.

Personally I was disappointed with question 10. Currently all the marks I have lost have sadly occurred in questions 3-4. I wrecked a perfectly good chance to get a great mark - easy q10 on a paper with a low-cutoff.

Just my 2 cents - end of rant, sorry if I have offended anyone, the head teacher of maths at my school - marked for 30ish years, agrees with me.

Oh, and I should have mentioned this before. Difficulty is relative. The cut-offs will depend on the quality of the cohort. We will wait and see how many people get 120 and/or first in the state.
My understanding is it will align avg or hard like the 08 one, less people will get band 6s *BUT* because scaling is based on raw marks, it'll scale better this year.

I don't mean to say the cutoff will be 105 though, that's ridiculously high.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

This is exactly what makes the paper harder. Having questions that were so practical... I'm an accelerant and doing MX2 now and even that parabola roller coaster question initially threw me off and then I came back to it. The test felt a lot longer for me as I didn't get to answer the second part to this question >_<

macochris1

Yip__Seyy
HSC
dude no offence, but that test was ridiculously easy, it was all about taking the time to interpret the question. im expecting at least 117/120 raw. I would expect that the cut off for band 6 to be 100-105

2AM_rendezvous

HSC
just wondering...do they scale down if we fail?? cos i think i got below 50/120 for that exam.. :S

boxhunter91

HSC
No it will scale up.
Alot of people went bad.
EDIT: I meant align up.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
*sigh*...

Everything scales down from UAC. They use scaing to make the aggregate /500 for an ATAR. Only MX1 and MX2, distinction courses and some languages stay stable or go up. Everything will basically align up though. Aligning is the mark you receive on the HSC report from the Board of Studies.

You'd think of all places, people would know the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)