Bands (1 Viewer)

DarkPrince_87

HSC
Well im sure this is going to be a dumb question but how does this work...if i get like 75% raw mark in legal studies for example and thats one of the highest marks for soem obsurd reason do i still get a band 4 or does the band get put up into band 5 or something? can anyone else explain this to me??

H.S.What?

HSC
i think its still a band 4 but ur ranking will be at the top so assuming you do well in your other subjects, you will get a great UAI

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
DarkPrince_87 said:
Well im sure this is going to be a dumb question but how does this work...if i get like 75% raw mark in legal studies for example and thats one of the highest marks for soem obsurd reason do i still get a band 4 or does the band get put up into band 5 or something? can anyone else explain this to me??
I assume u mean to ask if 75% is the highest in the state?

The aligning of marks is not based on state performance, its based on the difficulty of the exam, but generally if 75% was the highest examination mark in this yrs HSC for example, then obviously the exam was extremely difficult, thus it will be aligned to perhaps even a band 6, but im more then certain the highest mark will not be 75% for legal studies, but I assume that if 75% is ur RAW exam mark, u may get into a band 5...They also look at the marking criteria to determine the band cut-offs, so for example if it was found that a 75% satisfied the minimum requirements to fall into the band 5 region(band descriptions can be found on www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au) then a 75 will be aligned to an 80.

DarkPrince_87

HSC
ok yeh i know it will be alot more it was just an example, so the marks could get scaled up which means a different band...its ok i know they wont get scaled up too much

DeanM

HSC
so who decides that 'this test is hard', and 'this test is easy' ? is it just based off how students perform in the test... eg if 1000 people get 120/120 for 2u maths, do they label it as 'easy' , as oppose to if only 3 people got 120/120 , then it could be called 'hard' ?
or do the board already no that 'this test is hard' ???

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
DeanM said:
so who decides that 'this test is hard', and 'this test is easy' ? is it just based off how students perform in the test... eg if 1000 people get 120/120 for 2u maths, do they label it as 'easy' , as oppose to if only 3 people got 120/120 , then it could be called 'hard' ?
the board already know that "this test is hard" ... before anyone sits for it!!!

helper

HSC
N/A
DeanM said:
After marking starts, a team of judges are given examples of each question and mark.
They then judge where the answer fits against the bands. They then add up to come up with the cut offs for each band.

So before you sit the marking scheme is decided but not until after are the band cut offs decided.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
75% in legal studies won't be a band 4, it will probably be a band 5(aligned). Band 6 is determined by BOS who set outcomes, which need to be achieved for that certain band, like 80% in 2u mathematics was band 6 in 2004.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)