Bankcard Visa Mastercard (1 Viewer)

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know which bank offers a Savings card(not credit) which is listed as Bank, Vis, Mast.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Yes I wonder are there any other banks with a debit visa or mastercard

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh it does.

I heard NAB might offer it.. but not sure. I like using my St george card- it's good value.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
what are the interest rate and benefits with st georges?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha you don't use this for the int. rate gains, but the benefits are fee-free eftpos transactions (unlimited) because you use the Visa network. As a student, I think all my account keeping fees are waived, but I am not entirely sure.

... I know a few banks have a form of investment system where you use online banking and can transfer money into a special account whereby it gains interest at the market rate (5+% p.a) calculated daily paid monthly but the funds cannot be used as easily as the normal savings; but I'm not sure if St George has this facility. You might want to call them or walk into a branch?

Warning, it's expensive to use your card overseas. I withdrew about $500 whilst on holiday, and they charge a $4 flat rate, plus 3% of whatever you withdraw! Sure the conversion rate is whatever the exchange rate is, the 3% just kills it.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
seremify007 said:
Haha you don't use this for the int. rate gains, but the benefits are fee-free eftpos transactions (unlimited) because you use the Visa network. As a student, I think all my account keeping fees are waived, but I am not entirely sure.
for students, fees are waived but i'm pretty sure the transaction fee is waived up until 10 transactions (unless you have more than $5000 in your account, in which case you have unlimited fee-free transactions) but the cost isn't very much i think anyway.

info on the account:
http://www.stgeorge.com.au/accounts/transaction/freedom_student.asp?orc=personal

fees and charges (student account info on page 8):
http://www.stgeorge.com.au/resources/sgb/downloads/pds/fees/sgbfees_030106.pdf

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's definitely fee free transactions if you are using the VISA network- i even have the pamphlet somewhere arather... it says "Want fee-free EFTPOS transactions?", and then instead of using SAVINGS, you press CREDIT and sign the slip. However you can't use any cash out / withdrawal facilities- those things require you to either use normal EFTPOS (Savings) or an ATM, which as mentioned above, are limited to 10 free transactions per month.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
i was thinking about getting a credit card, but theres not so much a point with the visa debit...
but then again i can borrow money for when im broke...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I heard that NAB have an offer whereby you show your student ID and then they'll put you on fee-free accounts for students for 3 years each time (without asking for ID proof every year), and then when you graduate, you get a further 3 years as well of fee-free! Anyone with NAB and have anything to add? It seems like a good account to have.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
fuck are you serious? that NAB thing sounds sweet... but im already with st george and cba...

brightside... cba dont do visa debit... they suck specially with shitty customer service and racism.

vizman

HSC
you can get the visa debit card from St.George Bank and predominantly community banks, mine is with Mac. Bank

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Orange Juice said:
fuck are you serious? that NAB thing sounds sweet... but im already with st george and cba...

brightside... cba dont do visa debit... they suck specially with shitty customer service and racism.
fuck them to hell...

hmmmm

Tuna

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
I heard that NAB have an offer whereby you show your student ID and then they'll put you on fee-free accounts for students for 3 years each time (without asking for ID proof every year), and then when you graduate, you get a further 3 years as well of fee-free! Anyone with NAB and have anything to add? It seems like a good account to have.
Definitely sounds goods. For those who don't want to pay fee each month you can change to Wespact after you start working (my mum is with them min deposit 500). You get 4 or 6 free transaction each month.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I like keeping seperate accounts, if someone gets a hold of your visa debit your bank account is screwed at the same time until you sort it out. With a Visa/Mastercard credit it's only your credit you have to fix up and you still have your bank account to fall back on, same if your bank account gets hosed you have the credit to fall back on.

I still go with HSBC and Citibank online savings accounts, HSBC with their 5 free from any ATM withdrawals a month are great.

And forget Bankcard, I don't even know many businesses that take that relic from the 80s anymore.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mr_brightside said:
anyone know if there is Commonwealth Bank Debit card?
Don't all the banks have a debit card system using the Maesto/Eftpos system? As for the visa debit, I don't know many banks which do have that actually- and the only reason I signed up for it was that (as they advertised) it's "fee-free eftpos transactions"; although some asses will try to charge you more for using a Visa card anyway >< Atm I have 2 cards for my St George account- a Visa Debit and a Maesto/Cirrus Eftpos.

LeftrightOut said:
I like keeping seperate accounts, if someone gets a hold of your visa debit your bank account is screwed at the same time until you sort it out. With a Visa/Mastercard credit it's only your credit you have to fix up and you still have your bank account to fall back on, same if your bank account gets hosed you have the credit to fall back on.
Hmm I'm not sure if this provides much info but I know with my Visa Debit card, it takes about 5 days before the transactions go through? I know this because I'm signed up for SMS notifications when funds are withdrawn from my account greater than $20.00, and I often get woken up by the stupid SMS at 8am in the morning a few days later >< Your account balance and available balance will change, but I wonder if the "cooling off period" still applies? Does anyone know about this?

LeftrightOut said:
I still go with HSBC and Citibank online savings accounts, HSBC with their 5 free from any ATM withdrawals a month are great.
Only problem with HSBC is they need a minimum $2000 to start with for an account, and don't seem to offer much in terms of benefits/bonuses. That and their lousy customer service- no wonder they put comfy chairs in the 'waiting area', I didn't expect to be sitting there for so long! Turned me off from opening an account- btw this was the George St branch.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Hmm I'm not sure if this provides much info but I know with my Visa Debit card, it takes about 5 days before the transactions go through? I know this because I'm signed up for SMS notifications when funds are withdrawn from my account greater than $20.00, and I often get woken up by the stupid SMS at 8am in the morning a few days later >< Your account balance and available balance will change, but I wonder if the "cooling off period" still applies? Does anyone know about this?
Yes but once you get a dud withdrawal of say 3 grand that puts you in overdraft and happen to have an urgent bill to pay you will sit there red faced with one account while you try to sort it out or have to borrow the money from someone else.
seremify007 said:
Only problem with HSBC is they need a minimum $2000 to start with for an account, and don't seem to offer much in terms of benefits/bonuses. That and their lousy customer service- no wonder they put comfy chairs in the 'waiting area', I didn't expect to be sitting there for so long! Turned me off from opening an account- btw this was the George St branch.
5 withdrawals from any ATM anywhere a month is pretty darn good benefit for the $0 fees I pay a month considering I might not feel like hunting down a branch of a particular bank at certain times I need money. Plus I don't need to be a student to not get hit with fees, I don't see why people love student accounts most I got with mine was a newsletter once in a while, the interest was pretty bad. I have never visited a branch so again not an issue, considering closest branch is probably 500+km away and i've been with them several years i'd say that's pretty good. I've put many dollars through that account as well as their share trading, never a problem a quick phone call or message through netbanking couldn't fix. Plus they now give you a cool keychain for netbanking :)

The minimum starting amount, well I guess that's hard for some could always go for a citibank one, but no 5 free atm withdrawals monthly :) Still get a nice card and 5.5% interest and no fees, show me student accounts that match that and let you move your money around, best i've seen want you to not have any withdrawals for a month before offering a few percent bonus interes.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't most banks have some kind of free ATM/EFTPOS withdrawals- I think St George has either 6 or 12? Can't remember. Bank of Queensland has some other package with unlimited ATM/EFTPOS transactions I think; but the rest of the offer wasn't too exciting.

But in the scheme of thing, I don't think student accounts are done for the interest- they're used because they offer the fee-free accounts. NAB was telling me that if you use netbanking you can transfer funds from your main account (ie. the one connected to the ATM/EFTPOS card) to this other account whereby you gain interest (5.4% p.a.) calculated daily, paid monthly. Sure it's only what the interest rate is (ie. no risk involved) but it's still better than nothing.

I guess the distance thing is a big issue to you, so it's good that your bank has good telephone support. St George has pretty decent telephone support but I think it could be improved- it's still a little slow.

Btw in case anyone else has Q's regarding accounts, the past few weeks I've been researching alot to try to figure out what is the best account for me since I am starting full time work in 6 months time, but I'm a full time uni student at the moment. I currently have a Combank account tied with Comsec and a St George Everyday Savings account (I think that's the name). Although NAB's offer is pretty hard to resist;

*looks at brochure*

Might as well elaborate; for students, account fees are nil, and there's a rebate of upto $12 on any service fees. Service fees like EFTPOS withdrawals are $0.60, same with a ATM withdrawal from NAB, etc.. but a branch withdrawal is $3.00. So in short, you could have 4 branch withdrawals (4 x $3 = $12), or 20 EFTPOS/ATM withdrawals (20 x $0.6 = $12), or a mixture. However, if you use another bank's ATM it's $1.50 and it doesn't count as part of the rebate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)