Banking internships 2009/10 (1 Viewer)

BOSnewbie

HSC
Congrats to everyone who got offers, and better luck next time to those who missed out.

Does anyone have the numbers for IBD? How many IBD people were taken by each firm in Sydney?

HSC
hey
does anyone know if there are any banking/finance cadetships or somthin for year 12 school leavers?
if so.. which firms are offering it? and is there any website which has all the information abt it?

PM meee plzz

Hardenne

HSC
woah equity research as UBS seems to be paying quite well. I have a friend of mine who is doing it there this summer along with prop trading.

akqjt

HSC
woah equity research as UBS seems to be paying quite well. I have a friend of mine who is doing it there this summer along with prop trading.
I didn't even know there were prop trading internships. Does he have any experience in the area?

3li

HSC
N/A
ubs have a prop desk (internal hedge fund) they like to call it

i went for that interview unsuccessful - very competitive and kudos to the person who got it - he didnt have prop exp he had IBD and audit exp along with generic commlaw

hardene wats ur pay? similar to ours? after converting currency of course

steph i picked my firm cos of the opp to work overseas and get flights/accom as part of the package. also prestige and rotational aspect.

Last edited:

jhu89

HSC
i have a final round interview with db for ops...any ideas on type of questions etc?
they were v light on the details

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
ubs have a prop desk (internal hedge fund) they like to call it

i went for that interview unsuccessful - very competitive and kudos to the person who got it - he didnt have prop exp he had IBD and audit exp along with generic commlaw

hardene wats ur pay? similar to ours? after converting currency of course

steph i picked my firm cos of the opp to work overseas and get flights/accom as part of the package. also prestige and rotational aspect.
Interesting to take someone with IBD and Audit experience for prop trading. They are all completely different skill sets. Along with a non quant degree - must have interviewed very well/have a good CV.

Do you they put you up in a hotel for 2-3 months?

Last edited:

3li

HSC
N/A
yeah they do but small salary cut for them organising... like 1k ish a month

otherwise u have to organise ur own accom if u dont want salary sacrifice

i hear last year it was hilton for training period? can ne1 else confirm?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
yeah they do but small salary cut for them organising... like 1k ish a month

otherwise u have to organise ur own accom if u dont want salary sacrifice

i hear last year it was hilton for training period? can ne1 else confirm?
Not bad. Most companies have cut back on that. Last company I worked for used to put up interns in 5 star hotels for 3 months for free. Shame that's changed now!

pearling

HSC
N/A
Hey guys I'm in yr 12 but I'm def interested in these internships in the next 2-3 yrs so just trying to get some basic info. Sorry if this is a dumb question but why do interns live in hotels - do they actually work overseas?? If so do you apply to the syd office or the overseas one? Please clarify! And also how competitive are these - do they choose 1 out of 20? 50? Also, how long are these internships and do a majority of interns get hired upon graduation?

Thanks in advance!

AlternateAlt

HSC
N/A
Hey guys I'm in yr 12 but I'm def interested in these internships in the next 2-3 yrs so just trying to get some basic info. Sorry if this is a dumb question but why do interns live in hotels - do they actually work overseas?? If so do you apply to the syd office or the overseas one? Please clarify! And also how competitive are these - do they choose 1 out of 20? 50? Also, how long are these internships and do a majority of interns get hired upon graduation?

Thanks in advance!
You live in hotels if you are doing an internship in a city you don't live in. So people doing internships in the Sydney offices only stay in hotels if they are from interstate. You can apply to Sydney or overseas, many like to go overseas just because they can. In terms of the work, there is probably only tiny differences between an internship in Sydney and somewhere overseas like HK/SG.

They are generally extremely competitive, this year most banks would have had 500+ applications (just taking a guess here, I know most banks would have been in the hundreds for sure) for 2-6 positions. So make sure you get good marks (Distinction or above) from the start (good marks gives you the best chance of getting to the initial testing/interviews, the rest is up to you).

The standard length of an internship at an IB is 10 weeks, though some may go slightly longer or shorter.

Not sure on the exact numbers, but a moderate amount do get hired after internships. Would guess around 30-80% depending on the bank, the year, and the quality of interns.

AlternateAlt

HSC
N/A
So what's everyone else doing? Anyone actually doing IB (as in traditional M&A division)?

3li

HSC
N/A
cs eq research out... 2 offers in syd...whose the othyer guy?

Hardenne

HSC
ahah hey.

Join the Deutsche Bank Sydney interns facebook group page if you want, theres a few other ppl in it.

Well I was interviewed for research and business services, and I went into the latter. Not sure how many research interns there are.

3li

HSC
N/A
lol hardene jimmy tells me u hav a DB logo on ur wallpaper... quite the enthusiast haha

does anyone know what IBD pro rata is this year? like steph, cs eq research is 8xxxxx, 12 wk internship annuall leave and sick leave too!

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
ahah hey.

Join the Deutsche Bank Sydney interns facebook group page if you want, theres a few other ppl in it.

Well I was interviewed for research and business services, and I went into the latter. Not sure how many research interns there are.
:)

3li

HSC
N/A
haha vagabond how much is research paying at db? pro rata preferably

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)