Banks (1 Viewer)

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
What banks are there at unsw, if there are any? and are there student deals?

cos i need to sort out a bank account

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
I think if you're a student, the banks don't charge you bank fees or something like that. I'm not sure of what banks are on campus.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
there is a commonwealth bank on campus, i walk past there once. it's close to the library

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
commonwealth bank? great, thanx!

um, how do you set up a bank account? i know you need id, but do you need anything else?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Commonwealth and ANZ.

Commonwealth is up near library, ANZ is down near bookshop (just below Commerce Quadrangle)

Both have "Student" accounts.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
you can also get a student options credit card - no annual fee as long as you are a fulltime student

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
With Commonwealth Bank the student Options apply both to normal savings accounts and credit cards. The streamline account usually has a $5 access fee, but if you just show them that youre a full time student the fee doesnt apply for the duration that youre still full time student. At this stage you may as well set up an Awardsaver account as well. With the Awardsaver, there are no fees, and how it works is if you make at least $1 of deposits each month and no withdrawals you get bonus interest. Also get NetBank, which is also free and will save you some time.
And with the credit card, as Minai has said, with the student options (assuming youre approved) you get the annual fee waived, which is usually $59.
To set up an account, you need 100 points worth of ID, so the best thing to bring is drivers liscence and passport.

With ANZ I think their fee free account is called Access Advantage (not sure though).

EDIT: The student options also gives you access to lower rates on loans.

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
hmmm i always wonder what teenagers, well people who are still studying, what they heck do they use a credit card for?

hehe someone fill me in

im a strong believer in cold hard cash only!

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll be sorting this out on monday, along with getting my ID card.

Originally posted by redslert
hmmm i always wonder what teenagers, well people who are still studying, what they heck do they use a credit card for?

hehe someone fill me in

cold hard cash is good, but not when you need to carry large amounts of it lol

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by redslert

hehe someone fill me in

Say u see something for sale, but u only have $200 in your savings account, but the item costs $500. You borrow that from the bank (credit), then pay it back, say after u get ur paycheck for the week/fortnight etc before interest kicks in.

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
I have a $2500 student options card with the Com Bank.

Best thing I have ever got. If 1 week i get tonnes of bills, instead of not eating that week, i use the Credit Card then when i get my money off my parents the next week i just pay off the CC. I have never paid interest.

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
may i also suggest ING DIRECT. 5% interest rate, no term deposites and no fees. just link it up to ur bank account, and transfer money when u need it. i use that on my commonwealth account and the interests are better than the streamline, not sure about the awardsavings one tho.

that student credit card thing sounds good :) ill get one too. thx

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
capulet, is there an ing office in the city?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
There's also a St George Bank down the road (Anzac Pde going towards Nine Ways) if you're interested.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
hmmm i see what students use credit cards for now, thankz!
just hope that people can pay it off as soon as possible, some of the interest rates i see with credit card accounts are ridiculous! :eek:

Originally posted by mic
capulet, is there an ing office in the city?
to my understanding ING Direct does not have any branches, ING for business do, but ING Direct for personal accounts does not have any branches
the only way to find information is by their website or telephoning them
to sign up, it is either by post or internet

www.ingdirect.com.au

i'm gonna setup an account with them too
just waiting for commonwealth to give me my netbank access

also ING direct with 5%pa is so much better than commonwealth award savers
with awardsavers the intrest is like 2.6%pa only and that is accumulated over 4-5years!! when you first open the account you don't get that much bonus interest....can't believe i didn't find out about ING earlier, lazy me
been with commonwealth for so long not getting much.....

Last edited:

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
what redslert said, i dont think they have any branchs. i meant ing direct sorry. sign up with the net, they will mail u a form, mail it back to them with info and ur good :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)