bankstown people (ie christine) (1 Viewer)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Yeah. Train to East Hills then the 922 to the Uni.

GJ_JOE

blood brother
at the risk of sounded completely lost, do classes start on the 3rd...or is it just "welcome week" for the new students

GJ_JOE

blood brother
cool, the sooner the better i reckon...

but now i gotta go buy new clothes =\

loziscool:D

lol i don't need clothes.... but hey. i'll buy more clothes anyway :D

and do u guys have tuts in the first week? i do :(

dancin_beanie

HSC
N/A
What Is O -Week?

Hey Guys, I'm comin to Bankstown campus this coming February on an exchange from ol' Canada :) and i was just reading some of these messages...
Is O-WEEK equivalent to a Frosh week here in canada?? frosh week here are for all the 1st year's where they have activities and stuff going on to get them into the groove of univeresity life and stuff..
and what's this about no pub on campus? BOOO i go to York University.. it's this huge campus in Toronto where 50,000 students attent and we have atleast 6 or 7 pubs/bars

oh well :p hahah
take care guys
Mel
p.s what's it like at Bankstown, does anyone live in res???
and has anyone taken the following courses: victims and crime, human learning and cognition, australian history (up to 1920) and drugs and alcohol studies 1 b/c that is what i'm in enrolled in.. hopefully they're interesting and not too much of a course load lol :)

klh

HSC
lol...ummm, this thread si quite old, but thats nice of you for searching it.
O week, yep what you guys call a frosh week...for the freshmans? i dunno if thats where that came form.
but its just activities, free stuff, information about uni services etc. at parra there was barbeques, free showbags, sports sing ups etc. dunno about bankstown but i hope its changed form what has been said in this thread.

most campuses have a bar...i know bankstown has a a cafe and a restaurant...dunno.

welcome to UWS! hope you enjoy your stay, sorry couldnt hepl any more with any info though...someone'll coem on ans aswer ypu soon though...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Holy shit, this thread is as nearly old as I am. Well not really :p

dancin_beanie

HSC
N/A
hahaha sooooooooooorrrrrrry! lol
i didn't realize it was so old until after i had written my message... see you guys are backwards, so we only just started our FIRST semester of the year so all that stuff would be more relevant to me i guess haha..
besides, the thread wasn't that far into the uws site thingy, it was like on the 2n'd or 3rd page lol i was just skimming through some of them and noticed BANKSTOWN written ahha so i decided to respond

thanks for responding with some info klh:)
and for the nice insults cape hahaha
it's all good ;) but i was quite surprised to hear that your in uni at the age of 8 months hahah

take care guys
Mel

p.s i'm not sure why we call it frosh week b/c we don't refer to first year university students as freshmans... that's in the states!!! we just call them 1st years, 2nd years, 3rd years, and 4th years! :D

dancin_beanie

HSC
N/A
i guess everyone will be subjective and biased towards their own campus :) haha
but i appreciate the information.....
however i totally SUCK at volleyball!! it hurts my wrists man :p teehee

does anyone know about the courses i will be taking (posted in my first message on this forum and the other one)

thanks guys
Mel

colonial1770

HSC
hey beanie,
Im doing a B.Arts at bankstown. the people come from literally everywhere, in one of my tutes there was an exchange student from sweden, another was czech, another canadian and one more I think was chinese.

I'm doing a history major not psychology but will be in the australian history 1860to 1920 class. It is a follow on subject from foundations of mod. australia ran this year and if its the same lecturer john o'hara then it'll be a great subject. although you may want to read up on a little aussie history first.

the canadian guy that did australian politics with me this semester did okay so you should be fine.

the reso units are a new edition they were only build last year so there pretty much brand new.

Last edited:

dancin_beanie

HSC
N/A
Hey Coloniol,

thanks for the info.... however i'm a little confused with what u are talkin about haha.. will u be taking that same course next year also? or u took a course that leads into it and is very similar??
i don't know much about aussie history except for the survey thing i had to fill out as part of my application process about the natives and the commonwealth :p

anyhow, what are reso units??? course/units u need to have done before u can take another class?? like pre requisits?

ps i hope i'll do ok... i don't want TOO much of a course load haha.. i'm getting so sick of the course load here.. right now!!! thinking about australia and planning it all out is my escape from all the crazy work i need to get done!! :( i want to cry b/c i don't want to do it all hahahah :D

well anyway, i appreciate all the comments :)
loook forward to more!
Mel

Lu Lu

HSC
I think that Colonial means "reso"= residential college as in on campus accommodation. I live at Campbelltown ressie. I love it - but you should be prepared for parties especially during O week. Last year during O week there was a party each night. I was great!

colonial1770

HSC
Sorry to confuse you - i typed it late last night- insomnia sucks eh!
Aussie slang can be a little confusing but you'll get the hang of it, but to confirm the last post when I said "reso unit" I meant "on campus residential accommodation". Also reso=someone who lives on campus, 'unit=apartment or flat', just like 'lift=elevator', 'loo=toilet' and 'bush=woodlands'.

Speaking of slang just the other day in my Australian Politics class we were talking about former Prime Ministers when the tutor read out the headline "John Howard slams Menzies" and the canadian guy broke out in laughter. Apparently in canada "slam=have sex with" while in australia "slam=criticise".

No there isn't any prerequisite for that australian history 1860-1920 subject - what i mean is that you might want to get somewhat familiar with what happened before 1860, i.e captain cook, first fleet, botany bay, convict life, 1850s gold rush. It might give you a little better idea what's going on.

My course is a Bachelor of Arts and I have to take that unit to complete my History major. Psychology is another major available in the B.A that some of my mates are doing.

Last edited:

dancin_beanie

HSC
N/A
Hey Colonial,

that's hilarious about the whole politician being slammed! lol i would have laughed also... it pretty much means what he says it means= to get pounded.. like hard core sex haha

anyhow thanks for the mini lesson on aussie slang.. that's much appreciated ;)
hope all is well

when do u guys finish up exams for the year???
school ends in november for you guys doesn't it?? so it should be coming up sometime soon woohoo! :)
unfortunately for me, i have to wait up until the middle of december.. that's when my last exam is for my first semester! it may even get pushed back a bit because my university might go on a strike!! how crappy is that?? i really hope it doesn't cuz it'll push everything into the next semester and then i'd be pretty much screwed since i'm coming there!! eeek
anyhow... take care
Mel

dancin_beanie

HSC
N/A
haha :p

i've learned that roots means sex hahah
we have clothing line here in canada that is named Roots :p

anyhow, i have a question...
when do classes end during your autumn session and when do exams normally run until??

Thanks
Mel

Lu Lu

HSC
This year classes started the first week of march but O week was in the last week of feburary. Make sure your here for O week cause its heaps fun. Exam finished around the start of july but it really depends on the exam timetable. Like you might have all your exams in the first week and end up with two weeks extra holidays!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)