Bar jobs? Coffee? retail? anyone? (1 Viewer)

daydreamkitty

Love me hate me, meh.....
HSC
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had worked in a bar or what not and tryied to overcome the '2 years or more experience'. I have my RSA and my RSG and it seems right now a waste of money because some businesses wont give a 19 year old a go.

I guess the reason is my age and lack of experience.... Yes i should be the one flipping burgers at hungry jacks but that is no way to make a living on like the standard wage....

I live in Leichhardt and as much as i should be getting like 100 resumes out there i dont see the point - at two different locations handed out resume ( burwood, broadway ) and I have not yet recieved a call for anything that I have applyied for....(applying since oct 05')

If anyone has any contacts in any industry could you please let me know.. greatly apriciated.I would much likley get into Retail then Bar.

Best of luck Job seekers!

-Loui

HSC
Hey
I work in a bar and im 19. I am studying stuff directly related to bar and club management though, and i had 3 years retail experience prior to getting the job.
Just keep handing out resumes! and even if people arent advertising go in and ask!
:wave: bahaha i dunno why i did that smilie but its cool..

yeah so i dont think i even helped u hey,
but good luck!

daydreamkitty

HSC
Ah well... It's just like horrible not to know anyone thats doing a job or lives around my area.... Meh!

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
u live in the city and complain that there is no bar job, try pubs, clubs etc im sure u could even pick up a glassy shift somewhere... i started working in a pub when i was 18, most pubs look for younger employees however clubs tend to go for experince..

daydreamkitty

HSC
William_Lawry said:
u live in the city and complain that there is no bar job, try pubs, clubs etc im sure u could even pick up a glassy shift somewhere... i started working in a pub when i was 18, most pubs look for younger employees however clubs tend to go for experince..

Firstly,
I dont live " in the city". I live in inner west.

Secondly,
Depending on the place that you work IE a pub, can not employ someone under age of 18 unless not working around alcohol (eg. bistro ) and face serious fines *grins*.

Thirdly,
Yes, good advice on the idea of going up to them but it's not always a win win situation- Espesically if it sounds like your hounding them for work.

-Loui

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC
18 years old, 0 experience in any industry .. currently working as a glassie and hoping to work up to bar tending. This is the easiest role to get into without experience (although its hard work .. my shift is 9pm-3am), but even saying that, it took me about a month of solid resume handing out to get a trial shift.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
wintersky said:
I live in Leichhardt and as much as i should be getting like 100 resumes out there i dont see the point - at two different locations handed out resume ( burwood, broadway ) and I have not yet recieved a call for anything that I have applyied for....(applying since oct 05')
Have you only given out 2 resumes or just at 2 locations you have given a lot of resumes?

daydreamkitty

HSC
Well i got a positive :) my friend who is a mate of mine will be giving me free work experience.

My job searching was pretty much lousy in Oct.. but during november/december i was "required" to do job seaching with a contract to some company...

This is when you have to find a minimum of 5 or 6 jobs a day... meh. and i wasnt getting bennifits there.

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
wintersky said:
Firstly,
I dont live " in the city". I live in inner west.

Secondly,
Depending on the place that you work IE a pub, can not employ someone under age of 18 unless not working around alcohol (eg. bistro ) and face serious fines *grins*.

Thirdly,
Yes, good advice on the idea of going up to them but it's not always a win win situation- Espesically if it sounds like your hounding them for work.

-Loui
gosh Leichhardt!! isnt that like 5km from the city!!! havnt u ever heard of the word travel???

thank for stating the obvious that underages cant poor beer, but your 19 so whats stopping you... stop whinging and start handing out resumes

and mostly employers like a person who is keen and willing to learn so if u keep showing up and asking how positions etc are going, u may be lucky...

im 19, worked in a pub in the mountains for 15months and am now manager, im still handing out resumes looking for better work etc.. the more you hand out the more chance of work

daydreamkitty

HSC
You know there is a fine line from objective criticism and just plain ugly!

.....And did I mention the fact that you dont even need to write back to this thread or is it that you are 'adding wood to the fire'.

Wonderfull that you got a job...I love to hear that someone works and yada yada.. So what if i winge! i'm getting desperateish.

Yes job *nodds* transport = a bus/train.
Many a jobs i have been interested in need a driver licence... and well unless i go with my whacky mum at no point in time will I be having the car.

Fair enough.Your right to your opinion is granted. But will you leave off that i'm just trying to find some work for Once. I live in Leichhardt but that was not becuse my parents are filthy ritch, Yes i do travel - do you think newcastle and back is a 'light walk in the park' ? yes i do admit there still are many places i havent 'explored' but i will one day..

William_Lawry said:
gosh Leichhardt!! isnt that like 5km from the city!!! havnt u ever heard of the word travel???

thank for stating the obvious that underages cant poor beer, but your 19 so whats stopping you... stop whinging and start handing out resumes

and mostly employers like a person who is keen and willing to learn so if u keep showing up and asking how positions etc are going, u may be lucky...

im 19, worked in a pub in the mountains for 15months and am now manager, im still handing out resumes looking for better work etc.. the more you hand out the more chance of work

Last edited by a moderator:

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
just to let you know, a business cannot legally keep a reume for more than 3 months, after that they mut be thrown out! So don't expect calls backs after three months and if you really want work there drop one back every three months!:)

daydreamkitty

HSC
Nashie said:
just to let you know, a business cannot legally keep a reume for more than 3 months, after that they mut be thrown out! So don't expect calls backs after three months and if you really want work there drop one back every three months!:)
Thanks for your advice! :) i'm going to ask a mate if she can get me a job in jeans west in the city. Would be ultra cool if I did.

THANKYOU! Have a Nice Day! ^.^

-Loui

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
actually legally a lot of places can't take resumes, because if people broke in and found out your details the stores are afraid they may get sued. According to the Rockmans lady.

hikari

HSC
my friend's only 18 and he works as a bar waiter for a function centre. it's up near sydney uni, and the pay's around $18/hr (after tax).

i think he got the job through seek.com.au & setting up his resume there.. OR through an employment agency, not by going to the place directly. it's easier that way i reckon cos if employers really wanted workers, they'd go out to find them.

same goes for retail, easier to apply when they're looking for employees then just going up to them. cos if they needed workers, would they go through the stack of resumes piling up or send out an ad specifying the requirements and what not?

neways yeahhh.. GOOD LUCK! :)

Last edited:

daydreamkitty

HSC
getting off topic does anyone have any dream part time/fulltime job?
Does it rock? why does it?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
wintersky said:
I live in Leichhardt but that was not becuse my parents are filthy ritch
There aren't any filthy rich people in Leichardt, just old Italians who drink expresso all day. And dykes.

I had a dream job that suited me well...working at my university library. Cruisy work in between classes, no travel time, payed a shitload. Uni work really is the best. I'm gonna have to leave though to take up work that's in line with my career goals.

FerretallicA

Lord of the 7 Strings
HSC
wintersky said:
Thanks for your advice! :) i'm going to ask a mate if she can get me a job in jeans west in the city. Would be ultra cool if I did.
Keep in mind that retail isn't going to get you any better pay than "flipping burgers".

The best thing you can do is get yourself a shit-kicker job somewhere which at least has a name in design/illustration/etc. Even if the job is serving coffees you'll at least meet people in your desired industry, better jobs can and often do open up with good networking, and even if you get nothing more than money out of it you'll at least have that company's name on your resume when you're applying to other jobs in future.

If you think finding a bar job is hard with no experience, you'll probably freak out when you try for a "professional" job. Get in early and start building up your resume in the direction you ultimately hope to end up pursuing.

spillargroove

HSC
Loui, getting your Resume in Leichhardt is like a dream come true. It's a prime place of busy restaurants, cafes and bars. I think it many cases, you have a better chance of going in yourself especially if it is a family business. Not every business bothers to advertise on Seek. It's also a plus because if they advertised on Seek, more people would know and your chances would be lowered. Hey, I spent on my RSA three weeks ago (cost $85) and I didn't get the job I applied after. Inevitably, they probably chose people with experience already even though they said Full Training and Development would be provided (and they meant it).

I would think Gloria Jeans would hire someone like yourself. Just keep trying, it's annoying I know. But don't waste your time with certain bar jobs that specficially say or you know won't hire you because they need people with previous experience. Apply ones which say, "Happy to train the right person" or something similiar.

daydreamkitty

HSC
Hiya thanks for the message it's really nice for people keep up with the thread even though well it's not posted on often. My Ideals of heading into a bar job have dimminished because of TAFE being full 4 days a week . I am in the 'Design' course and to imagine how much work i go through is huge.

I wouldnt expect that the Tafe would pressure kids to do volumes and volumes of work . I found in term one this year I was doing roughly about 5 A3 pages a week! Not to mention the fact that we had to do reasearch a full 4 days and do other teachers work.

I like it but I hope that they reduce the work. Last term they said we are doing this next term - but none of the work was done in class and two weeks back and it's due next week- stuff like that annoys me.

I now am studying 4 days a week but for two afternoons i have no class and one full day off.

Anyhoo shouldnt rant got research to do and printing to print.
-Loui

minimalistik

HSC
I am also doing Design but at Uni. Have you tried the possibility of a job around the Newtown area?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)