• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Basic help with Car Audio (2 Viewers)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey there,

Just wanted to ask a few simple Q's which I figured most ppl (who know much about car audio) would be able to help me with^^

1. What is the difference between "Mono Bloc Amplifier" and "2 Channel Amplifier" and "4 Channel Amplifier". I can figure out the difference (ie. amplifies 1, 2 or 4 signals) but can't quite fathom the point of buying a Mono bloc one over a 4 channel when the Mono is more expensive than the 4 channel (I'm just peering at the March Strathfield Car Radios catalogue- http://www.strathfield.com/images/catalogues/20060306/03.pdf ). Also, the different 'power ratings' for the speakers and amp, what should I be going for?

2. With the 2006 Honda Civic, it claims to have only 4 speakers (Ciel, do you know if it's 4 or 6? I thought the dealer also told me 6... can't remember) but if I'm intending to keep the OEM deck, what kind of amp should I buy if I only want to add a subwoofer, and what kind of amp should I buy if I want to add both a subwoofer, and extra speakers?

3. If I add in the amp and speakers/subwoofer, will they still continue to work fine with my standard Honda deck. The dealer told me it's an Alpine system- will I need to buy Alpine gear to make it all work together?

4. I heard Sony is a crappy brand for car audio gear, but the price seems about right ($178 for 12" 1000w in genuine Sony enclosure). What do you guys recommend? Based on the above link to the Strathfield Car Radios site, within reason (ie. I want good quality stuff, but doesn't have to be the 'best'), what bits should I buy for the amp and subwoofer? As for speakers, this link (http://www.strathfield.com/images/catalogues/20060306/02.pdf) has prices for speakers and was wondering what you guys would recommend.

5. What are the differences between;
a) Speaker
b) Woofer
c) Subwoofer
... and which category does Tweeter come under? I remember the Astra had tweeters which made it sound awesome.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Btw, budget is about $500 or so... but I don't want to waste money if I'm not really going to appreciate the better sound quality. I'm also intending to get them to install it (so that'll probably cost a bit more I'm guessing).

Cheers,
jeff.
ps. I probably won't buy from Strathfield car radios, it's just the only site I can find which has pricelists for their gear online.

gna

HSC
Just get this. Boston or Focals front splits, Eclipse 8 series headunit, soundstream tarantula 15" sub, sound deadening. fuk rear speakers.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
o_O Can I even afford that...?

Btw why do I need to change the headunit? I don't think it's going to be easy because it's one of the ones which is integrated with the car; and besides, the current one, whilst not that 'cool', blends well with the car and has decent features.

CieL

HSC
seremify007 said:
2. With the 2006 Honda Civic, it claims to have only 4 speakers (Ciel, do you know if it's 4 or 6? I thought the dealer also told me 6... can't remember)
He lie. hehe

You have 4, I have 6
That's what you don't have - the 2 front tweeters

alexxxz

HSC
monobloc amp - one channel: these are designed for powering high end subwoofers.
2 channel amp: exactly what it says, powers two channels ie two speakers.
4 channel amp: four channel, four speakers.

if you want to add just a sub, get a decent sub + monobloc amp ~400wrms.
theres a good chance your current headunit will be compatible with any other amp/speakers you install, providing it has the right preouts.

$500 wont get you far unless a) you buy 2nd hand stuff (check www.caraudioaustralia.com or ebay for gear) or b) you only want an amp + sub.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The deck which the Civic comes with is pretty decent looking (and I think it's hard to change anyway)-
... I don't wanna lose cd stacker nor steering wheel controls!

I'm thinking I'll just get the sub + monoblock amp... but I wouldn't mind some tweeters; any idea how much a pair of decent ones and the sufficient amp for the subwoofer and the tweeters will cost?

alexxxz

HSC
tweeters are there to give you extra treble. you'd find that a decent set of 6 inch 2way's in the front doors will be enough... also if you dont already have tweeters its a pain in the arse to set up a good spot for them where they arent hanging out.

btw that headdeck would be a tough one to change... not even sure if you could hook up an amp to it.. read your manual does it say the headdeck has preouts??

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
daaamn, i wouldn't want to change your cd player, g0t complex?

I reckon you should go with a 2 channel amp, who knows you might want to put speakers in someday? If i were you, i wouldn't bother with tweeters, unnecessary really. For an amp + enclosed sub your lookin at about 300-400 if you shop around. Tweeters can range from 40 to 100 bucks.

alexxxz

HSC
jaycar 2x150 amp, bridged does 450wrms, put that up with a decent 10/12 inch sub. should come around $400/$450. dont settle for less, its a waste of money getting cheap products you can really notice the difference. set aside some more money for a decent front speaker/amp combo.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure about the pre-outs, not picking the car up till Saturday 9am! *counting down*

I'm thinking the 2 channel amp sounds good- this is gonna sound stupid but with a 2 channel amp, with 1 channel set aside for the subwoofer, can the other channel be "split" to power two speakers sufficiently?

I'm basing a lot of my 'pricing knowledge' on the Strathfield Car Radios website (it's the only store I know which has online catalogues and sells a lot of this sorta stuff)-

I'm also thinking I might just avoid tweeters for now; doubt i'll replace the existing speakers (yet), and work just on putting the subwoofer and amp in.

My Dad reckons I should wait until first service before I start changing stuff in case something fks up... do you guys think I should wait?

alexxxz

HSC
i severly doubt it will stuff anything up, you planning on getting installed professionally? i doubt this voids your warranty aswell.

with that 2 channel amp idea, if it is possible (not tooo sure on that one) there will be piss all power for the sub. you want around 300wrms for a decent punch.

HSC
im also interest in upping the bass in my car, so i want the mono bloc amp + sub.

a few qs :)
will having a 1000W woofer be any good if i only have a 500W amp?

and ...

why do various amps have such a wide price range? ..like. for eg.
a "Sound Storm" mono bloc, 850W amp will set you back $169...whereas an "MTX Audio" mono bloc, 500W amp is only $249?
much quality difference?...or is it just the brand name?

alexxxz

HSC
as i said before, car audio is one of the things where you really do pay for what you get.
that rating on the sub 1000W is PMPO power, not actual power its putting out. the monobloc reading however probably is actual power. most subs that are rated @ 1000W are approx 300-400rms... read the box carefully.

7th Sign

HSC
your liek "i need help installing my shit strafield want 120"

cd players and amps are dam easy to install...and strathfield do a dodgey job lol

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
DIY = piss easy as it seems we're talking just an amp+sub+wiring:

1)Remove trim from centre console, passenger footwell and steps at the bottom of the doorframe.

2)Connect wiring to the HU(head unit) - RCA->RCA, blue turn-on to ignition.

3)Pop bonnet locate where the wiring loom passes through the firewall, pull rubber shroud away, pass power cable through hole and shroud.

4)Attatch power cable to battery (include the fuse!!!)

5)Run all wiring (power, blue, RCA) along the side of the car under the carpet to the back and wedge it past the back seat.

6)Re-attatch trim etc cover wiring.

7)Open boot, find somewhere that the sub fits that you can attatch it to. (the last install i did was on an MR lancer and we ended up attatching it to the spare tyre cover).

8)Attatch amp to side of sub (screws to the job well).

9)Attatch amp/sub combo to the car (again screws are good, bolts if you get ambitous.

10)Connect wiring and attatch a ground - any stationary metal bolt/screw usually makes a good ground.

There ten easy steps, developed by performing many and varied installs. Including in lancers of varying ages, my 72 volvo, a g1 teg, a g2 camry (two 15" subs, four amps - quite loud) are some of the more notable examples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)