Bass? (1 Viewer)

asdf.cosmo

HSC
I'm not an HSC student yet but I've started thinking about what I can play for my HSC exams. I've been playing bass for almost 3 years. I'm a strong performer and I do have a bass teacher so if I get given a piece I don't know how to play, I take it to him and we work it out together. My only limitation is slapping - I'm not very good at it and it frustrates me so much I never put in the time or effort to get good at it.

I am wondering what pieces to play next year for my HSC, so I would like some suggestions. What are you playing for your HSC?

bored of sc

HSC
Hey. I'm a vocalist. The pieces I plan to play are undecided right now but I will probably end up doing something popular (e.g. Coldplay) with a wide melodic range.

As for you on bass-guitar, I'm not sure. Maybe the Red Hot Chili Peppers? Flea is a very talented bassist and uses a variety of techniques (e.g. slap-bass, accenting, bass-solos etc) to push bass beyond it's usual role as the harmonic foundation.

asdf.cosmo

HSC
I understand what you mean about doing something popular. That has influenced my choice of what to perform in year 11 several times. Seeing as how the pieces we perform, we also have to perform at my school's performance night, I feel like it should be a popular song so the audience can realise what it is and appreciate it more. I know, as an audience member, I get a bit bored if I don't know the song that the band is performing.

I am considering RHCP. I think I just have to look up some good bass players and try and find some material of theirs that I can learn next year.

HSC
asdf.cosmo said:
I'm not an HSC student yet but I've started thinking about what I can play for my HSC exams. I've been playing bass for almost 3 years. I'm a strong performer and I do have a bass teacher so if I get given a piece I don't know how to play, I take it to him and we work it out together. My only limitation is slapping - I'm not very good at it and it frustrates me so much I never put in the time or effort to get good at it.

I am wondering what pieces to play next year for my HSC, so I would like some suggestions. What are you playing for your HSC?
Heyyy.

I play bass too, and am in the exact same situation as you! I hate slapping! lol. It's not so much that I can't do it, coz I probably could if I tried hard enough, but it's not something that has ever interested me.

I did HSC music in 07 (accelerated), and just played some fairly basic pieces. I hadn't had any formal bass lessons before, so I just played stuff I thought was good. Love jazz, so Night in Tunisa was a great choice, and some other old jazz standards like Tuxedo Junction. Still scored a mark of 80, which I thought was decent considering the standard of my playing was... basic. lol.

But I am doing HSC music again next year. (09). I do pathways, so it will allow me to. I'm hoping for a higher mark! lol. Since then, I've had bass lessons with a fantastic teacher and learnt so much. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do as pieces yet, but hopefully I can double up for uni auditions, because I want to study music after school any way.

Some ideas I would possibly toss around for next year would be Jaco Pastorius stuff, great bass stuff or Victor Wooten? Hmmm I may have to have a bit of a think. lol.

Anyway, what were you thinking of doing? What styles are you into? For me, it's jazz, so lots of that/

Cheers.

C82M34

HSC
asdf.cosmo said:
the 4 pieces that i'm doing for my performances are

Tool - Schism (shortened to 4:45)
RHCP - Aeroplane (with an extended bass solo)
RHCP - Around The World (Core piece aswell)
Marcus Miller - Power

i can play them all 100% except for Power but i'll have it down perfectly in the 3 weeks I have left until my HSC performance.

sherylbobbins

HSC
Greetings fellow bass dudette! I agree with everyone else: RHCP is a brilliant choice. Not only because of the techniques but the melodic movement of Flea's basslines. Simply great.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
have you considered playing a song by muse??
specifically "hysteria" or "time is running out".

timmy111

HSC
I also did power, but you might have a lot of trouble if you don't think your slapping skills are that good, particularly with the double thumbing.

Maybe have a look at some Jaco Pastorious or Stanley Clarke songs if you want to do some that are specific to bass. Otherwise maybe do a jazz standard where you play the head/solo/walk

Heckles

HSC
Hey!
yeah i just finished my HSC doing bass, yet to receive any marks yet, but im fairly confident it will go well.

I did:
Aeroplane-RHCP (Great song, does have slap section but its not that had and sounds great)

Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder (I converted the horn section to a bass solo and did little solo bits over the 1-5 progression)

Me and My Bass Guitar - Victor Wooten (Awesome song, give it a go, its suprisingly easy once you get the co-ordination, just youtube vids on how to play)

Steal My Kisses - Ben Harper (Just my core piece, its good ive been playing it since yea 10 so at least it was polished)

Also i would suggest The Who if you like rock bass, Quadrophenia is a great song. Space Cowboy from JJamiroquai is awesome, just cut it so it fits, its kinda repedetive. Also if you are REALLY keen look up any Pastorias or Victor Wooten's 'Cherokee', 'Norwegian wood' or 'Hip Bop'.

If you can do any of them they are sure band 6ers.

Good luck bassies!

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
if you cant slap very well, pretty much burn all your hopes of playing Flea.
if you cant slap very well check out a guy called Billy Sheehan, he doesn't slap that much.

bmfirkin

HSC
As for you on bass-guitar, I'm not sure. Maybe the Red Hot Chili Peppers? Flea is a very talented bassist and uses a variety of techniques.
ummmm...... what about pea? from one of their first albums, red hot minute. its basically all bass. check it out on youtube. write back with an opinions.....

jessiminica

HSC
if you cant slap very well, pretty much burn all your hopes of playing Flea.
That's a load of crap. Flea's best know for his slap, but he plays all sorts.

I'm playing bass formy HSC this year- will be playing One Hot Minute. It sounds pretty cool ;)

HSC
Amazing Grace (Victor Vooten)
Ornithology (with Charlie Parker solo)
Down To The Nightclub (Tower of Power)
NV43345 (Billy Sheehan)

Theres my program for my HSC on bass. Hopefully it will turn out ok! lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)