Baterries,,,, lol for the 1000th time (1 Viewer)

zeinab7691

HSC
I have an assesment due very sooonn,, and i no this is the 100th timee this topic has been postedd but the sites arent openin with me. Heres the full question

Present information on the structure and chemistry of a lead- acid cell batery and evaluate it in comparison to a button (silver) cell in terms of:

* Chemistry
*cost and practicality
*impact on society
* Environmental impact

Im so lost i dunnno wat i have to doo.. cathode anode?? PLEASE HELPP !! can sum onee also brake down the question for meee pleaseeee :confused: :(

HSC
zeinab7691 said:
I have an assesment due very sooonn,, and i no this is the 100th timee this topic has been postedd but the sites arent openin with me. Heres the full question

Present information on the structure and chemistry of a lead- acid cell batery and evaluate it in comparison to a button (silver) cell in terms of:

* Chemistry
*cost and practicality
*impact on society
* Environmental impact

Im so lost i dunnno wat i have to doo.. cathode anode?? PLEASE HELPP !! can sum onee also brake down the question for meee pleaseeee :confused: :(
Look ummm... Ma'm! This is an easy google/wiki question. I had to quickly learn this for the HSC and cram the info in. I can't remember the fine points (equations) but that is easily looked up on the net. I'll lay it out for you as best i can. (PS this question looks like it came straight from the syllubus.) BTW REMEMBER-->

ANODE=POSITIVE (+) CATHODE= NEGATIVE (-)
attracts ANIONS (-) attracts CATIONS (+)

Lead-acid battery (CAR BATTERY) consists of a strong sulfuric acid electrolyte with different (variable valence) lead products. One is normal lead (anode) and the other is lead oxide (cathode).

The button cell is a dry cell, that means that it does not contain a liquid electrolyte (usually a paste). Silver oxide is used as the cathode and the commonly used anode is zinc. The electrolyte is an alkline paste, either sudium or postassium hydroxide!

BREAKING IT DOWN!!!!.... not really.....:cool:
Chemistry- Build on what i have reguratated here and PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS ALLAH BUDDA put the half cell equations for the anode and cathode and then the full equation for the cell then explain this. Remember to also maybe write a short paragraph to explain why and how the battery gives of electricity. (A redox reaction - Reduction-(gain of electrons) and Oxidation-(loss off electrons) and how the electrolyte plays it's part by allowing the ions (electrons= e-) to move though it.)

The reast can be bullshit(ed) but it is boring... good luck lol...

Cost and practicality- Bascially is it ecomonically viable (RESEARCH) and is it practical for the situation. EG. Button (Ag) Cell is practical for watches ect as it is small but does it give the right amount of voltage and amps with respect to the object. Also life spand. Usually not rechargable.
EG. Lead-Acid cell is heavy and bulky but the voltage and amplitude is perfect for the job it does. Rechargable.
RESEARCH!

Impact on society- More or less, has or can society benefit from the cell and in contrast does it create unwanted problems for society. (You can make up your own mind but believe me, theres a right and wrong answer).

Environmental impact- Most batteries, when discarded become waste-
Silver button is recycled to gather the rare and expensive metals (Ag!)
Lead Acid cell has no desirable components so is discarded, and heres the hot tip, strong sulfuric acid isn't usually good for the environment. ELABORATE!!!

You got lucky that i remembered alot more when i started typing :p .
You need to elaborate extensively and draw your own conclusions based on research which shouldn't be to hard. Use this as a guide and a mind jogger if it helps at all. Wish you luck, are u leaving it a bit late???:p. If ur it sounds like ur stressing, don't lol, it'll give u wrikles and not girl wants that! (Disclaimer-Not proven-Use to scare girls that worry to much.. SHIT!)
Cheers! :)

Last edited:

zeinab7691

HSC
OMGGGGGGG thankkk yoouu sooooooo muchhh. you helpedd sooooo muchhh.. the onli thing im confused about is thee half equations n all that. is there a fixed one.. this is a stupid question cause im really bad at this lol.. are there manyy metals used in teh anode or cathode or is there a known one i have to researchh

Once agen the attachment didnt open with me
but yeh i got awsome info.. thanks agenn much appreciated

HSC
zeinab7691 said:
OMGGGGGGG thankkk yoouu sooooooo muchhh. you helpedd sooooo muchhh.. the onli thing im confused about is thee half equations n all that. is there a fixed one.. this is a stupid question cause im really bad at this lol.. are there manyy metals used in teh anode or cathode or is there a known one i have to researchh

Once agen the attachment didnt open with me
but yeh i got awsome info.. thanks agenn much appreciated
No probs, when you see me around buy me a drink, cheers :) .
Neway, back to the salt mine...
Before i wrote the metals for the anode and cathode of both cells i double checked myself on wiki.. quick and easy.

There are different metals used for different cells depending on what you want the cell to do (eg. more voltage, more amps vice versa...)(eg the button cells uses both silve oxide and zinc but something lithium to...)

Back to the question, you could just use the metals that i have given you in the question or if you want use them as a guide, wateva! But also remember to include how the electrolyte changes aswel.
SCHOOL TOMORROW BAH!
Cheers...

Marley999

HSC
Cathose is POSOTIVE is it not(posotive terminal, though negatively charged)? and Anode is NEGATIVE (though posotive terminal)??

electrons move from the Cathode to the Anode??

dan.121212

HSC
it was my understanding that electrons flow from (-) to (+), that is from the anode to teh cathode, while CONVENTIONAL CURRENT (not one u need to know in chem, but the physicist in me puts it in) flows in the opposite direction - from cathode to anode

powerdrive

HSC
dan.121212 said:
it was my understanding that electrons flow from (-) to (+), that is from the anode to teh cathode, while CONVENTIONAL CURRENT (not one u need to know in chem, but the physicist in me puts it in) flows in the opposite direction - from cathode to anode
correct.

Marley999 said:
Cathose is POSOTIVE is it not(posotive terminal, though negatively charged)? and Anode is NEGATIVE (though posotive terminal)??
depends on whether on the cell is electrolytic (galvanic) or electrochemical.

<TABLE class=MsoTableGrid style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 480; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-border-insideh: .5pt solid windowtext; mso-border-insidev: .5pt solid windowtext" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 142pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=189>Cell

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 142.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=189>Anode<O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 142.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=189>Cathode<O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 142pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=189>Electrolytic<O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 142.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=189>–<O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 142.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=189>+<O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; WIDTH: 142pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=189>Electrochemical<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 142.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=189>+<O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 142.05pt; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=189>–<O:p

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

mr.xx

HSC
N/A
This question is not hard, just lengthy.

Go look it up - its in every text book and stop being lazy.

zeinab7691

HSC
Excuse me, Im lazy? Well if i understood the question would i have posted this thread to begin with? I askd for some one to break down the question and that person did. Thats all i wanted. Period.

lo0cy

HSC
In a document posted by 'powerdrive', under the chemistry of a leclanche cell it says "when the battery is new, no zinc chloride is present, the cell uses ammonium ions to form zinc ions."
It would be fantastic if someone would be able to just explain what is going on there, just in a few simple sentences. no probs if no one knows, but awesome if anyone does.
Thanks !

andrea123

HSC
im doing the same assessment at the moment... cept mine is way larger i have to compare the dry cell to 5 other cells lol any way...

when comparing it with chemistry this is refering to the chemical equations and explainations of these.
cost and practicality compare the size, effectiveness, uses and whether its renewable or not.
impact on society is lokking at advances in technology and how the batteries ahve helped
environmental impact is literally the impact on the environment.. like the disposal of mercury cells is obvisously bad for our environment. hope this helps xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)