• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Battle of the Broadband Providers!!! (2 Viewers)

xMaFF

HSC
Hey all,

The contract with Bigpond ADSL2 Broadband ( 12gigs a month D= ) recently ended and for the new year and I would like to get a new Broadband plan.

My extremely stubborn Asian parents go for (obviously) the cheapest plan with iPrimus or TPG, both offering around $50 for a generous 100+ gigs.

Personally, I would like to stick with either Optus or Bigpond as a broadband provider. I have briefly browsed the net for iPrimus and TPG reviews, most of which have been negative.

I just want to hear your experience with either of the internet providers mentioned above. Perhaps you can also recommend a good plan? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Sources:
- TPG Reviews: TPG Broadband Internet Service Provider Reviews Australia www.tpg.com.au
- iPrimus Reviews: iPrimus Internet Service Provider Reviews Australia www.iprimus.com.au
- Broadband comparing site: Youcompare Broadband

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Are you a gamer? Do you care if your internet drops out?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Internode

Go to Internode. It's never dropped out on me, it does slow noticeably during peak on some days (when I say noticeably I'm quite meticulous about my speed and it's not a great deal really... probably less than most other providers).

Super cheap, lots of data.

HSC
Uni Grad
Lots of people I know have had TPG for a while and have no complaint about them. I think when my shitty 12G telstra contract runs out I'll be switching to them, or interchode I guess.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I have to say, my Internet has only ever gone down about 3 times since I went on Interchode which was early November... which I think once a month is nothing especially if it's only down for <2min.

I actually think it was just the wireless router.

xMaFF

HSC
Lots of people I know have had TPG for a while and have no complaint about them. I think when my shitty 12G telstra contract runs out I'll be switching to them, or interchode I guess.
Hehe, that's happening to me right now!
The contract with Telstra ended, so now I think we're joining TPG.

$50 for 120GB (at ADSL2+ speed)

That's quite generous. I'm glad to hear that you haven't heard any complaints about them. I think I'll go with TPG.

Thanks for the advice :)

Internode is heaps more expensive than TPG. Also people who review shit for TPG are mostly the angry people who probably out of shit luck had their internet crash while their 1 gig download of a game reached 99%, and they have nothing to get back at so they make angry reviews.

Let's face it, every provider crashes time to time. It might even have something to do with your wireless.

also optus crashes practically every hour for me when i'm capped, and both optus and bigpond are 13098509385x more expensive than either internode or tpg
Indeed.

Haha, thanks for the re-assurance, Cecily. I like the scenario!
I won't be influenced too much by angry reviews anymore XD

Thanks for the advice :)

I have to say, my Internet has only ever gone down about 3 times since I went on Interchode which was early November... which I think once a month is nothing especially if it's only down for <2min.

I actually think it was just the wireless router.
Interchode sounds good too, I'll definitely check out their website and offers.

Thanks for sharing your experience everyone. I think I feel comfortable now moving to TPG, haha. I initially thought that TPG / iPrimus offered cheap fees and a generous download allowance to compensate for the bad customer service / disconnection rates. Looks like I was very mistaken and over-influenced by the net reviews, haha.

Thank you for all your guidance! I want TPG's $50 for 120GB offer now, haha.
Will rep you all ASAP :)

HSC
Uni Grad
I believe thats you trying to do something you don't have enough bandwidth for :p
but regardless, optus+bigpond are definitely far more expensive than any other providers.
This, they over charge to a ludicrously excessive degree.

boxhunter91

HSC
I went from optus to TPG and never looked back. Seriously 120gb p/m for 50 bucks. I think we're in heaven?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Mum's on iPrimus

She pays around 50 bux a month and gets 250gig+ ADSL+2with completely free local calls and 90 cent capped long distance, interstate calls (meaning no matter how long you talk, you only pay 90 cents!).

I play games off it often and haven't had many problems other than the occasional ping spike.

Streaming video is never a problem, usually streams faster than the video plays.

I thouroghly recommend iPrimus.

Edit: If they offer you the Netcomm NB5 modem router, DO NOT accept it, ask for a better model or get your own. That modem is a SHITFUCK BITCH of a modem!!!!

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I went from optus to TPG and never looked back. Seriously 120gb p/m for 50 bucks. I think we're in heaven?
See, I'm on interchode and I can't even get close to using up my 50GB a month... and that was in the holidays. I will barely be using 10GB at school time probably - but I guess I catch up on usage over the weekends with movies and what not.

HSC
Uni Grad
Mum's on iPrimus

She pays around 50 bux a month and gets 250gig+ ADSL+2with completely free local calls and 90 cent capped long distance, interstate calls (meaning no matter how long you talk, you only pay 90 cents!).

I play games off it often and haven't had many problems other than the occasional ping spike.

Streaming video is never a problem, usually streams faster than the video plays.

I thouroghly recommend iPrimus.

Edit: If they offer you the Netcomm NB5 modem router, DO NOT accept it, ask for a better model or get your own. That modem is a SHITFUCK BITCH of a modem!!!!
My SDD/IPT teacher was with them, their customer service seems pretty appalling considering she was without the net and a working phone connection for a few weeks and whenever she rang them up at school they would be busy and say they'd ring back later and it took them days to ring back. Never tried to help or let her know how much longer it'd be and shit, just kept avoiding her questions.
But that's just one case I spose.

Tofuu

HSC
i would recomend internode, its actually reliable

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
im on 2x tpgs 120gb plan, for $130.

it's not for everyone price wise
but there isn't any of that 'off peak, on peak' crap.

with ISPs here it is:

speed : customer service : quota : low price

pick three..

as per customer service,
i've been on hold for more than an hour with a few ex ISPs,
so if you're not tech-savvy, i wouldn't go for a low-price budget ISP that have good speed/quota, but really shoddy customer service

edit: checked TPG site,
ive upgraded my plan to a 150gb for $130

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)