BBA/Arts - psych questions (1 Viewer)

inDy

HSC
Hello all,

I have a crazy ambivalence factor about my career decisions, my interests lie in psych and humanities but getting into honours and future money cravings worry me. So the BBA/Arts - psych degree seems perfect for me, but before i make the move from my current App fin/B comm - accounting setup, I have a few questions.

Is it possible to do psych honours without doing extra units that will make my degree longer than 4 years? I've heard that law/arts - psych people have to do this.

I hear there is no room for electives, does this mean that I won't be able to do english or history units as part of my arts degree? Only psych and statistics?

The big question is, if I choose a career in business and do say a finance major in my BBA, what's my employability? I hear that the BBA is very broad and sets you up for jobs in the management area, is it possible to get a non-management position say in the finance sector of an insurance company?

Cheers.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
inDy said:
Hello all,

I have a crazy ambivalence factor about my career decisions, my interests lie in psych and humanities but getting into honours and future money cravings worry me. So the BBA/Arts - psych degree seems perfect for me, but before i make the move from my current App fin/B comm - accounting setup, I have a few questions.

Is it possible to do psych honours without doing extra units that will make my degree longer than 4 years? I've heard that law/arts - psych people have to do this.

I hear there is no room for electives, does this mean that I won't be able to do english or history units as part of my arts degree? Only psych and statistics?

The big question is, if I choose a career in business and do say a finance major in my BBA, what's my employability? I hear that the BBA is very broad and sets you up for jobs in the management area, is it possible to get a non-management position say in the finance sector of an insurance company?

Cheers.
I think you first need to have a clear idea of whether or not you want to do both psych and business or just one of them. You start by saying how you like psych and humanities then kind of talk about business in itself in terms of a career. There is no problem in doing both psych and business, but it would probably only make sense to do both (given the number of years it takes) if your future career is likely to make use of both to some degree. I'm being more pragmatic because it sounds like you are concerned with time and career options, but I would say it is also worth doing both if you like both enough and are happy to do the extra years.

If you want to do honours it takes an additonal year, theres no way around that as it is the year that involves the thesis. Completing a psych honours degree will take 4 years in itself, so doing a BBA and the psych will almost certainly take longer. Skittled might be able to tell you specific details as he is doing psych honours now and is doing a business degree.

inDy

HSC
@ Cyan - Yeah, I am happy to do both. The BBA is more a back up thing incase I don't get into psych honours. And sorry, what I meant was - would I be eligible to do psych honours without having to do extra units after the 4 years of study (as its not the single degree and some units may be left out as is the case in law/arts - psych). I'm assuming you did psych honours from your sig, can you tell me whether its just your psych and statistics units that you have to keep a 70 average in? Also, how hard was it to keep up this 70 average?

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)