BBA250 Study notes (1 Viewer)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Hey guys, finally listened to that week 13 ilecture. In case it's useful for you, here's a word doc with what he said about each slide. Its a rather large file (5.5mb) because it's got the slides in it, too to jog my memory as to what he's talking about.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/skittled/BBA250 - 13 - Lecture - What to Study.doc
(It's uploading as of now (9:43), so if you're an eager beaver and try to download it in the next few minutes and it's only partially there, or corrupt, or whatever, just give me 5 mins and it'll all be online.)

There're a few comments (little coloured boxes off to the right hand side of the document) every now and then. I'm not gonna go through and delete those specifically for you all -- if you want to hide them, or print it all out without them, go View --> Markup, and it'll hide them.

Might or mightn't be helpful, but figured I'd put it up on the off chance.

Good luck guys!

<hr width= 50%>

Edit:
Considering the outline that he's given us, here's some more lovely little multiple choice questions, in case the study notes weren't enough. These are all within the guidelines of what he might ask, some more directly than others, but I'm taking these based on lecture13/above doc stuff.

Lecture 2:
  1. What is HR planning, and how does it fit into Stone’s model?
  2. Explain the different methods of integrating HR planning into organisational strategy. Which one of the four covered in the lectures is best? (As described by Langford: This is also covered in Stone, however is not directly examinable as per lecture 13)
  3. What are the three major steps in the HR planning and design process?
  4. Name the five different structures an organisation can be setup in, and the order that they developed in.
  5. What are the “three P’s” when it comes to climate/style and values? Explain each.
  6. Name 4 empirical models mentioned in Lecture 2, which were concerned with Style/Values.
  7. What is the difference between Job Analysis and Job Design, and what is the contents of both?
  8. What does KSA stand for? Give examples of each K,S and A.
  9. What are the major steps for conducting a job analysis?

Lecture 3
  1. What section of Stone’s model does Recruitment & Selection fall under?
  2. What is a Correlation, and why can a correlation not indicate causality?
  3. Age has a correlation of -0.1 to job performance. What does this indicate?
...more coming if it's useful

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I like BBA250. It's a very interesting unit, with a good psych base (Peter Langford, the unit convener, is an Organisational Psychologist, I believe), so it's not this airy fairy business bullshit (ie BBA111 & 102 or MKTG101), but has some decent basis to it. I'm of the growing opinion that a lot of the business stuff we learn will be largely useless out in the real world, but still, this should be more useful than others. Much of the unit is focused on how it contributes to the bottom line of the business; how HR can 'earn its keep' in a business.

The assignment's a bit more involved -- in my opinion -- than other topics; you've gotta get 10 surveys done from a real world firm, and then write a summary about all that. Interesting; again, it gets you some 'real world' contact, making the course just that little bit more useful.

"Interesting" parts are that the final exam is multiple choice, but is negatively marked... that said, everyone gets the same treatement, so it's fair, and it comes back to that 'good psych base' -- it means if you guess, you're most likely to have a result of 0, and so it's a valid test of your knowledge, rather than your knowledge + chance.

Awesome unit, all in all. I really like it; it's basically convinced me that I'm going to do HR as my future modules.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
I found the voice game the most interesting especally waiting to see the ranks for "every year"

*hopeful*

HSC
thanx 4 all dat skittled

i h8d this unit n cant wait till im done wit it, seriously making me consider dropping bba next yr and just finishin off accg

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
i dont do bba250, im doing the canadian version, but sounds interesting

is bba207 any good???

*hopeful*

HSC
havent done it yet, but heard from friends its d same as all other bba's: full of theory n boring as hell......i guess it depends on wether u have an interest in it or not

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
does anyone have the answers to the tute question for the project? think it was week12

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
anyone got like the tutes questions typed up?
ye? ney?
=\

but skittled
great doc file up there mate
covered everything
top stuff
props to you

Last edited:

*hopeful*

HSC
how r u guys studyin 4 it ? i've read all d lectures n did all the lect notes over like the last 3 days so i cant remember wat i've read.....im so stuffed!

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
ill have to agree with u hopeful
ive read the notes so many times
but none of its stuck
im feeling heaps sleepy at the mo
any tips?

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
boink you didnt do shit today mate... first games now your tired? hahahah

just copy your friendly neighbour... and pray their smart

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
mate its only because my notes are downstairs... ill be going down soon... stones model should get you the pass

*hopeful*

HSC
im so sick n tired of studying altogether....i cant remember a single point from stones model

hey is this one of those subjects that u must pass the exam to pass the unit ? or will they add assessment plus exam results ?

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
not all oj
ive done 3 exams
where ive went from a HD\D
down to a P after finals (finals were worth 30-50% and were stupid MC tests)
therefore i musta died in the finals

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
mate im fucking outta here... not getting work done at all... your all a distraction...

mc is better than writing for me... since i suck... just gonna bring a pencil for the exam tommorow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)