bbus/bsciit textbooks (1 Viewer)

mr-r34

HSC
can someone please tell me what the compulsary and recommended textbooks you need for this course are and if ur selling ne

im a first year and my subjects are

Accounting for Business
Managing People and Organisations
Introduction to Information Systems
Communication for IT Professionals

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
can someone please tell me what the compulsary and recommended textbooks you need for this course are and if ur selling ne

im a first year and my subjects are

Accounting for Business
Managing People and Organisations
Introduction to Information Systems
Communication for IT Professionals
Co-op has all the textbooks for UTS subjects. Go to 'book search' then 'text list search' and work your way from there. Books that are listed as Status: text are required, and Status: Recommended are, obviously, recommended. You'll probably use this site, in the very least, to find out what books you'll need each semester, so bookmark it or remember it or something. In your first lecture for each class, they will also hand out a textbook list, so you aren't expected to have them for the first class (though to avoid the rush, some people do like to buy them early).

Last year, communications and information systems didn't have textbooks, and Accounting and MPO did, and I don't think they've changed.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
A lot of the books I was looking up don't exist and some don't have a price and just list a few details. Am I doing it wrong?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Are you searching by subject, or book title? A good few IT subjects do not have books-- they take a more hands-on (or online) approach. It's possible that the subjects you're taking don't require any books, which would certainly be lucky, but I'm not so sure what's going on here. If you still can't find anything, I'll try to take a look for you.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Major: Enterprise Systems Devt as per UTS:C10148v4 Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Information Technology,UTS Handbook 2010

1st year
31265 Communication for IT Professionals (NONE)
31266 Introduction to Information Systems (NONE)
31267 Programming Fundamentals (Yes, $130)
31268 Web Systems (See below)

Institution: University Of Technology - Broadway
Semester: 2010 First Semester
Course Code: 31268
Subject: Web Systems
Lecturer: Chris Wong
Store: The Co-op Bookshop

I don't get this? There's no price, is this an online thing you speak of? But then it says its at the co-op shop.

31269 Business Requirements Modelling (NONE)
31270 Networking Essentials (Yes, $55)
31244 Applications Programming (Yes, $123)
--electives-- (are textbooks needed for electives, just on the side)

2nd year
31271 Database Fundamentals (Yes, $138)
31251 Data Structures and Algorithms (yes, $122)
31260 Interface Design (see below again, same deal)

Institution: University Of Technology - Broadway
Semester: 2010 First Semester
Course Code: 31260
Subject: Interface Design
Lecturer: Mr Richard Raban
Store: The Co-op Bookshop

--electives--
31279 Software Development and Processes (NONE)
31281 Systems Development Project (NONE)
--electives--

So to me that looks like 3 priced books in the first year as well as that other thing which needs to be explained to me, then only 2 priced books in the 2nd year and one other thing.

I was under the impression that almost all subjects required at least one book, is this so or have I been searching correctly?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
I don't get this? There's no price, is this an online thing you speak of? But then it says its at the co-op shop.
If I had to guess, it looks like UTS has given Co-op the subject details, but no list of books (whereas other subjects will simply say there are no books). Web Systems did not have a book when I did it in 2008, nor did Chris Wong's other class I have taken, so I very much doubt there will be one this year. Just looks like a communications error, is all. If you're worried, just wait until week one to see if he has assigned any books for the subject-- knowing Chris, it's unlikely you'll have to purchase anything.

--electives-- (are textbooks needed for electives, just on the side)
Yes, textbooks are needed for electives if the elective requires a text-book. Treat electives as you would any other class. Check the Co-op Bookshop for the texts, or get the list in class, then buy the required ones =D

I was under the impression that almost all subjects required at least one book, is this so or have I been searching correctly?
You have been searching correctly-- as I mentioned previously, there are a good few IT subjects where books are not required, simply because the information is easily available online and a text-book would be redundant. However, these subjects still tend to have a recommended reading list (which could easily total $300/subject), but they're not core subject material, and most are available for loan at the library. Most coordinators do not put the recommended reading list on Co-op Bookshop, since it tends to confuse students, but when they hand out the subject outline in class on the first day, they'll all be listed there.

Side note: If you don't think you'll be needing them, you don't technically have to buy the textbooks. Unlike in high school, the lecturers won't breathe down your neck about bringing it every day. I have a few friends who only buy a few of the required textbooks-- it's up to you to decide if you can pass without them. Some students recommend only buying books after week 3 or 4, if you're struggling to understand what's going on without it.

Side note #2: If you know what books you need, but don't want to pay full price, you can buy used books from Textbook Exchange. You can get a lot of books for half the price but in a very good condition (albeit a bit more thumbed than a new book).

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Thanks for the thorough reply, this is looking good. I plan to buy 2nd hand and buy the ones I think I'll need and not just everything. I have to pay for my own textbooks and I don't make all that much money. I was expecting at the very least $1k per year. I wont bother buying them early, I was just wondering how much it'd cost me as that's what I'm interested in.

soap~

Legal Eagle
HSC
It's also worthwhile mentioning there's a second hand book store on Level 3 of Building 1.

soap~

Legal Eagle
HSC
How do lecturers take E-Books?
Lecturers couldn't care less .. you're the one who's going to need to use it.

The worst scenario I could imagine is that you had say, an open book exam where the text book is allowed. They probably wouldn't permit an ebook then.

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
Wait so they don't even care if you don't buy the textbook for the lectures? lol

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
You don't need to buy anything. If you somehow can learn it without the textbook I don't think they care at all.
What happens when they do 'textbook readings?'
People without the textbooks just sit there looking lost? lol

azn_satans

HSC
oh, so theres none of that high school crap "turn to page etc..etc.." ?

how long does it take to adapt to uni life..

im like... wtfing myself at enrolment day already.. dont even get anything.. just following the flow

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
oh, so theres none of that high school crap "turn to page etc..etc.." ?
Not really, no. Some tutors will request you bring a book with you, but most are indifferent. I've not been in a class where you do readings-- they expect you to do that in your own time. Lectures are for lecturing (you'll take notes) and tutorials are for practical work (mostly). I find myself consulting the book in tutorials often, but that's because I don't tend to read anything at home. So, no, if a tutor said "now get out your book because we'll be reading pages..." I'd get up and walk out. Not worth the $900 you're paying so they can hold your hand while you read.

how long does it take to adapt to uni life..

im like... wtfing myself at enrolment day already.. dont even get anything.. just following the flow
It really doesn't take long. Enrolment day is difficult, because the system (both the actual computer system-- which is complex in and of itself, but also the way subjects work-- what to enrol in, when you should be taking subjects, etc) is new to you. You'll quickly get the hang of how uni works, and next year, when you have to enrol all by yourself, you should be able to do it almost competently. Outside of that, getting to classes and dealing with big lectures where a lot of information is covered in a short amount of time can take some getting used to compared to the hand-holding of high school, but it's not such a huge transition. It'll be second nature to you in a few weeks, for sure.

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
when do we receive a full list of all the textbooks we need?
Each lecturer will hand out a subject outline in the first week (unless they're lazy) that lists the required and recommended books for that subject-- so you'll receive one list per subject. If you're not wanting to wait until the first/second/third week to buy books (The book-store is packed after first week... 20-30 minutes just to get inside), use the Co-Op Bookshop text list to find out what books you need and buy them early. I've linked to it in another post in this thread, so take a look at some of my previous posts.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)