• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BCom Acturial + BSci Stat? (1 Viewer)

steverulz55

HSC
hey everyone

im in yr12 atm and am planning to do a double degree with Acturial and BSci maj in stat, but im wondering if the two subjects would overlap? I am also deciding whether to do BCom Actu /BSci Stat or BCom double maj Actu and finance because I would think finance would be more applicable to actuarial? But then a single degree doesn't sound as flash as a double so yeah...

any thoughts?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
just do one, ie. science or commerce alone then do another course afterwards.
Keeping your options open.
With your query as to whether getting a major in statistics would help. I say it would as statisticians are in high demand in the finance sector and not many people do it (especially at the advanced level at usyd) which means you would be ahead of many of the finance majors students (<-which number in the hundreds)

just my thoughts, i havent done any of those stuff you've mentioned but considering doing a major in statistics after i finish my degree

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
you will find that MANY and i mean A LOT of people will choose to double major in ACTL and Finance
not that it's a bad choice, by all means it's great! but you won't feel so 'special' in the end

most people seem to be doing commerce/science, major ACTL and Maths
maths seems to fit in very well together with ACTL!
i don't know anyone this year doing Stats with ACTL, but there could be some around

you can always choose stats electives in maths, but in the end on your piece paper it's going to say Maths instead of stats.....

steverulz55

HSC
hmm Bob.J why say one degree after another when i can do two at the same time :p

yeah i know alot of people do finance/actl, but doing a stat may seem to diverse my paths slightly (well a little more:))....maths seems like something thats not REALLY applicable when you go out and get a career compared to statistics...thats my thoughts atm

aspect

if ur doin actl/maths most likely you will follow the provided plan for the first 2 years, as really this is the one that lets you fit everything in best without falling behind in required courses

after that you have done all the required core courses for any maths, whether pure, applied, or statistics, and then you can tailor your option courses in 3rd/4th year whichever way you like

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
well its really up to you and how sure you are in what degree you choose.
However, if you are not sure I think it's better to do one degree and decide what to do after you've finished it. ie. do an honours, get some work experience, change of job aspects and do a different course etc. Just saying it's best to keep as many options available if you are not entirely sure about what you want to do.
But then again i know people who did comm/sci in first year then dropped science (and is doing straight commerce now) as they hated going to uni 20+hours a week.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
once you get your degree and start to work no one would want to go back to study
and that's a fact

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
i think u need to b a freak to do comm/sci (actl - actuarial - and maths) because:

- maths is hard...and gets harder as the yrs go on
- math freaks r smart...and get smarter as the yrs go on (esp comm/sci in actl and maths - it seems to be a lure for ppl who live and breath maths....)
- actl is pretty hard on its own...most ppl r likely to drop out of it cz its gonna screw up their wam (ie, their average)
- actl is a friggin desert when it comes to the opposite sex

so if u think by doing a combined degree where ur gonna b sloggin ur way through mountains of paper in a room full of guys like urself...by all means, go ahead! or b sensible and do normal comm - actl and fins...cz as flexibility should always b the number 1 concern when most ppl themselves wont even know if theyll get credits for exemption..and if u dont get credits..quite frankly, its ptless doing actl! esp for pplz stuck in comm/sci!

my 2 cents hehehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)