Bcom/Blaw (1 Viewer)

Haku

by doing this double degree what majors are available in both com and law?

also how does this course compare to UNSW Bcom/Blaw

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
nosadness said:

as far as i know you don't really major in anything in undergrad law...someone can correct me on that if im wrong.

commerce, u can major in actuarial studies, finance, accounting etc

well all degrees are essentially similar...the uni u should pick really depends on convenience, campus, quality of teaching (subjective judgement) etc. Is reputation/prestige important to you? If so, then UNSW/Usyd is the place to be...

I really dont think reputation/prestigue plays a big part in acquiring a job...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ND said:
What makes you say that?
The fact that the legal industry is flooded, and the Commerce sectors are too

ND

HSC
AsyLum said:
The fact that the legal industry is flooded, and the Commerce sectors are too
Exactly why the uni your degree is from makes a big difference.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ND said:
Exactly why the uni your degree is from makes a big difference.
Why cos you graduated with the same degree accredited by the same standards for an industry which relies on number crunching rather than 'where you came from' ?

ND

HSC
AsyLum said:
Why cos you graduated with the same degree accredited by the same standards for an industry which relies on number crunching rather than 'where you came from' ?
Not all degrees are equal. Most top companies only recruit from the top schools.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ND said:
Not all degrees are equal. Most top companies only recruit from the top schools.
And most people wouldnt be working for top companies, and you would usually need extra curricular experience to qualify for the 'top range' of jobs.

Leaving with a piece of paper from USYD is useless if all you've done is Pass/Credit a course and nothing else.

ND

HSC
AsyLum said:
And most people wouldnt be working for top companies, and you would usually need extra curricular experience to qualify for the 'top range' of jobs.

Leaving with a piece of paper from USYD is useless if all you've done is Pass/Credit a course and nothing else.
Definately.

X

xeuyrawp

Supra said:
as far as i know you don't really major
Yeah, you don't have a major, because you need to do x cores and x electives. I guess your later electives would be the closest thing to a major.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yeah, you don't have a major, because you need to do x cores and x electives. I guess your later electives would be the closest thing to a major.
i think only in graduate law can you major in things like commercial law etc.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
nosadness said:

I dont know about commerce, but what others have said, yes, you dont major in law. There are electives in your 4th and 5th year, and you can pick ones that compliment each other and will give you a much more in depth understanding of a certain aspect/area of our legal system.

In regards to comparing UNSW: there is no difference. They *might* have more law electives (I'm not sure), but you're going to be learning the same things there as you are here, or USYD or any other law uni. The differences are location and UAI requirements.

Perhaps you should check out that good uni guide or whatever its called. I think, from memory, you'll find that UNSW's law dept was rated below MQ. Either that, or they were extremely close.

Tabris

HSC
Macq and UNSW law schools are both fully recognised by legal bodies and institutions, thats the most important part.

I dont know about differences, because no one here have done law at both universities, all we can tell is whats on paper and in the book.

There might be the difference in prestige and whether u have sandstone or location, it doesnt means nothing if u are failing or doing poorly

Last edited:

tha-ish

HSC
hey man (or wo-man) my name's ish and i'm a second year doin law and psychology now - but last year i did law/comm tha degree u were askin about

u can't choose a major in law u just pik eight electives (more if u want) in fouth and fifth year

tha-ish

HSC
oh n also u can choose either economics or finance as ur major in comm - i chose econ - its all economics obviously - in finance most of the subjects r tha same but there are also accounting subjects :) - hope thats helps man/woman lol

monique66

I'm doing the same degree and starting in 2006. I've read through (some) of the handbook and basically what you do is choose between economics and finance- I could be making a presumption here but basically economics leans towards government jobs and finance leans towards the business field (/generalisation) I'm thinking about doing finance which involves about 6 subjects. There are only 2 law subjects in the first year and i think they are in alternate semesters...

bebe<3

HSC
Hey! Im doing this course too :D

Im not sure whether to do Econ/Law or Finance/Law ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)