BE/BSci(Advanced Mathematics) @ USyd (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I've tried to contact USyd about the course and they basically blew me off saying I could do the BE/BSci and just pick the advanced courses.

I actually want to have the words "Bachelor of Engineering / Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)" Printed on a piece of paper when I leave Uni, the words "Bachelor of Engineering / Bachelor of Science" just don't cut it for me.

I feel they're lying to me. Does anyone know otherwise? Has anyone tried to get into this course as well?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Your major is now listed along with your degree, and your subjects are clearly marked on the transcript, so would it really matter whether it was a Bsc with advanced units or a Bsc(adv) within an engineering combination?

Edit: http://www.science.usyd.edu.au/future/ug/combined.html

Engineering and science
2003 UAI 90.80

There are two ways of studying combined science and engineering. You can enter directly into engineering and apply to study the combined program after you have completed second or third year in engineering. Alternatively, you can enter directly into the combined science and engineering program. For more information contact the Faculty of Engineering on (02) 9351 2534. Students must meet the admission requirements for the BSc (Advanced) or BSc (Advanced Mathematics) to gain admission into the BSc (Advanced)/BE or BSc (Advanced Mathematics) /BE.

Last edited:

korry

HSC
N/A
i was just wondering...if u did BE/BSci(Advanced Mathematics) wat kind of a job would u get into when u finish uni?? like, what do ppl with Science degrees do?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
We'll just have to see when we get there.

It's a versatile degree. Not as versatile as the BE/B Commerce, but versatile nonetheless, and makes you very empolayble in most engineering fields.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
On your transcript at the top it would say
Course: Bsci/B Engineering
Stream: Advanced Maths

And then it would list your majors.

ace

is retired
HSC
I asked them, and they also said the same thing to me as they said to you keypadSDM, they said because of the actual course structure of Advanced Science as it is, they can not combine it.
They said however Combined Engineering/Science is offered, but it will be advanced subjects you pick rather than actaully doing the "Advanced course" persay. So I guess there a little confusing and we will just have to wait and see what exactly are the "advanced" portions of science subjects you can actaully choose.

In the end, I wouldn't hold your breathe, as USYD seem adament in driving people nuts with there confusing often cryptic answers.

Jimmay

Since the course is BE/BSc, the engineering faculty deals with the course. So the science people told me that when you enrol with the engineering faculty, you should specify "advanced science" for the combined degree rather than "science". When you receive a confirmation letter from the uni (for enrolment), if it doesn't say "advance" or something of that sort they told me to ring the science faculty...

They also told me to just pick advanced subjects too...

another thing too. If you you do BSc (advanced) at a uai of 96.15 and later decide to major in mathematics, does that mean you end up doing BSc (Advanced mathematics) (uai >96.15) at the lower uai. Otherwise, is the BSc (advanced) an alternate route to the advance maths??

stag_j

i too have wondered this question. i want to do electrical engineering and advanced science with a physics major.
i went to the open day on monday and was told that at the enrollment i should speak to the year advisor and they will have me put in the advanced program.
in an email i was told that when they see i have selected science and they look at my UAI they will automatically send me an email/letter asking if i'd like to do advanced science.

something else i was told at open day - just because you arent doing advanced science doesnt mean that you cant study advanced subjects. so what ends up happening is that a few weeks before graduation they look through everyone's classes/grades etc and ring up people notifying them that if they actually qualify for an advanced degree, even tho they werent enrolled as an advanced student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)