BE Electrical Engineering/BE Commerce (1 Viewer)

Matt200

I was talking to one of the lecturers at UOW and he said that only a very small number of people do an Engineering/Commerce double degree. Any body here doing that double degree? What are the advantages of getting the double degree and are they worth the extra time and effort?

SoFTuaRiaL

i do an engineering/comm degree. not elec engg though. well, basically, there are 2 advantages:
1. we live in a commercial world, so knowledge of commerce is useful for anyone and everyone. even if u dont do a comm degree, u'd atleast do comm subjects for ur free electives.
2. engineers at some stage of their lives will end up in a management level position, so commercial/business knowledge is very handy at that stage

but the main reason i a mdoing a seng/comm degree is because i'm looking for a career in actuarial where computing knowledge is very much recognised ....

SoFTuaRiaL

only lectures?
i'll include tutes n labs ....

first yr:
session 1 - 19 hrs
session 2 - 16 hrs

second yr: (this will be different to other seng students cos of my major in actl .... i dont think anyone else is majoring in actl)
session 1 - 20.5 hrs
session 2 - 19.5 hrs

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Hmmmm... no, not many people like to take on a double deg and include actuarial...
Doing 20 hours per week is a lot. Esp with actuarial and the shit load you get from seng :p

SoFTuaRiaL

trust me, if u think 20 is a lot, then look at the amount of time i actually spend on the seng workshops outside class times .... its scary. ask mike ...

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by SoFTuaRiaL?
trust me, if u think 20 is a lot, then look at the amount of time i actually spend on the seng workshops outside class times .... its scary. ask mike ...
why do u torture yourself like this????

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by jm1234567890
is engineering commerce 5 years? or is it 5.5 years?
5 yrs. engg/MCom was 5.5 yrs, but its not gonna be offered anymore ...
Originally posted by redslert
why do u torture yourself like this????

in the end, its all worth it ....

BraZen

Originally posted by Matt200
I was talking to one of the lecturers at UOW and he said that only a very small number of people do an Engineering/Commerce double degree. Any body here doing that double degree? What are the advantages of getting the double degree and are they worth the extra time and effort?
Business skills would definaltly give you the edge since you coupling them with technical skills. Espically since engineering have a reptutation of not being very business aware and just technically guided. In other words you become highly employable! and highy skilled espically if you want to start you own tech business. Another year of uni isnt that considering you gained another degree.

On another note -- Business isnt a male - dominated profession

I do B Eng ( Software ) / B Bus ( e-Business ) @ UTS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)