• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BE (Software Engineering) (1 Viewer)

grimreaper

HSC
well I got a uai of 98.2 so Im around 99% certain i'll be doing seng\commerce next year (unless I decide to change my preferences for some reason at the last minute). Speaking of that mentor program, do you guys reckon its worth it to sign up to be a mentee? I guess it'll be a good way of meeting people as barely anyone from my school (if any) is going to unsw

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Just do the mentor program, usually the mentor has tons to say about unsw. Last time my mentor opened my cse account earlier than everyone else, showed me around the labs, the facilities, etc bla bla, while others went to do scavenger hunt. It was quite useful, but i have a feeling my mentor was different than other mentors, so I cant guarantee how good other mentors are.

btw when i said mentor above, I meant actual SENG course mentor (more like tutor), not the cse mentor program. And there's no reason not to become one :D

grimreaper

HSC
underthesun said:
Just do the mentor program, usually the mentor has tons to say about unsw. Last time my mentor opened my cse account earlier than everyone else, showed me around the labs, the facilities, etc bla bla, while others went to do scavenger hunt. It was quite useful, but i have a feeling my mentor was different than other mentors, so I cant guarantee how good other mentors are.

btw when i said mentor above, I meant actual SENG course mentor (more like tutor), not the cse mentor program. And there's no reason not to become one :D
oh well thats pretty confusing then - I thought you were just talkin about the cse mentor program :p. I'll just have to wait and see what these things are all about

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
basically, seng mentor is a group supervisor in the software engineering workshop courses, they get to supervise, and mark groups' reports, and sometimes brings candies at end of semester ;)

hrmm.. i think it became kind-of a tradition, bringing food at every last tutorial, but its good :)

BillAnachronism

Hi.. questions.. I haven't looked through the whole thread but..

It has been said Software Engineering is incredibly demanding. In what way? In maths, problem solving,english (reports etc) or the combination of them all?

I'm just trying to scope out exactly what goes on and whether I'd fit in (I'm interested in Engineering/Arts, score of 93.9 .. I'm kind of humanities leaning but I have lots of experience with computers (use linux), bit of programming, did Software Design and Devel and got a decent mark etc)

ace

is retired
HSC
zoodboog said:
no they assume that you want to be bored out of your mind
Go back to that COMPSCI hole you crawled out of.
Stop dissing SENG. SENG > COMPSci!

*I know this will start a CompSci VS Seng War :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)