Becoming a Commercial Airline Pilot? (1 Viewer)

Dave88

HSC
Hi,

I'm currently in yr 12 ans sitting my HSC and hoping to become a pilot for Qantas or something eventually, but the sooner the better. Does anyone have any advice or know anybody that is a pilot?

What is the best way to get started?
I really don't know where to begin.

I am doing Mathematics, Physics, Engineering Studies, Advanced English, and Business Studies and hope to get a UAI of about 90.

By the way, does anyone know how much the pilots that fly like 747's make? Or any other information?

Thanks

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
My knowledge is limited however my understanding is it is wildly expensive to become a pilot privately (eg $100K++) and hence the typical route taken to becoming a pilot (in Australia at least) is to join the RAAF as a pilot and then leave as soon as you can to become a commercial pilot.

Dave88

HSC
Yes I know it is wildly expensive to become a pilot privately or through the qantas cadet program (about 80-90grand).
I'm not to keen to join the military though, I dont really want to fly fighter jets, perhaps cargo planes or something?
Is that an option?

liquimalish

Liquid Malisha- HOLLA
HSC
Its not widely expensive if you do it the right way. Learn to fly, get your wings and then head out into the inside of australia, do mailruns, taxis, rfds, fly farm/mine employees in and out.
It will take some years to get the required amount of hours but your always getting paid and in particular mines will pay for your upgrade training and its really not that bad of a lifestyle, take it this way its shorter than joining the raaf, if you do that your looking at around 9 years.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
UNSW has a brillliant aviation program (my brother is currently doing his second year of the third year program).

he had been flying for two years before he started at UNSW but if you work hard you may be able to get into the program.

it is quite expensive to even have casual flying lessons and the uni program is quite expensive (a number of costs not covered under HECS) however if you really want this then its definitely possibly to achieve.

Undertoad

HSC
Tulipa said:
UNSW has a brillliant aviation program (my brother is currently doing his second year of the third year program).

he had been flying for two years before he started at UNSW but if you work hard you may be able to get into the program.

it is quite expensive to even have casual flying lessons and the uni program is quite expensive (a number of costs not covered under HECS) however if you really want this then its definitely possibly to achieve.
I think this is the best way if you don't want to join the airforce. I looked into it quite a bit at the end of yr 12 and it looks great. Seemed like a good balance between the theory and actual flying time. At the end you can get your commercial pilots licence.

I think they require you to get about 90 but you also need to fill in anther application form, attend an interview (if you get one) and pass the medical test.

Some advice: if you go to one of the open day things and talk to the guy that runs the program at UNSW, don't ask him about the salary if you want to maximise your chance of getting in. Good luck!

Dave88

HSC
Hey, thanks for your advice guys.

Really appreciate it.
I dont really want to join the military but if its what I have to do then ok.

Just another question, Some times when I fly (commercially) I get really sore ear pains from the pressure.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Undertoad said:
I think this is the best way if you don't want to join the airforce. I looked into it quite a bit at the end of yr 12 and it looks great. Seemed like a good balance between the theory and actual flying time. At the end you can get your commercial pilots licence.

I think they require you to get about 90 but you also need to fill in anther application form, attend an interview (if you get one) and pass the medical test.

Some advice: if you go to one of the open day things and talk to the guy that runs the program at UNSW, don't ask him about the salary if you want to maximise your chance of getting in. Good luck!
haha my brother got in with a UAI below the apparent cut off which was only around 80ish but he did wonderfully at the interview compared to the guy before him who had NO IDEA about anything to do with flying, just that he thought it'd be a "cool career".

plus it helps if you've had some flying experience too.

oh and everyone gets the sore ear thing, but if you're flying the headsets normally minimize this (according to my brother).

Dave88

HSC
MiuMiu said:
If flying is painful for you, no one is going to employ you as a pilot dear.
Well it doesnt happen all the time, maybe only 1/4 of the time.
Besides, I think those headsets that pilots wear and even eucalyptus helps a bit.

I'm sure that I would adjust over time.

Oh, and by the way, what is B-Aviation (non-flying)?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
my advice (based on what i've been told by dad, the ex-RAAF pilot)

- join the RAAF. they'll pay you to learn how to fly, you'll meet great people, and you'll get taught how to pull many-G turns in a fighter aircraft (supposed to be heaps of fun haha). but yes you can choose to just fly transport aircraft when you finish training (dad flew Hercules', and he still enjoyed it).
- be prepared for a serious challenge. you'll only be a pilot if you're rather intelligent. you have to be able to learn FAST, and the physical side of flying can be strenuous as well (such as aforementioned many-G turn). the average male could probably do it, so as long as youre not fragile i think you'll be right.
- commercial flying is a bitch, although she pays well. my godfather was in the RAAF with dad, and now flies for qantas. he doesnt enjoy flying anymore, which is a bit sad.

... yeah im a tad biased towards the RAAF. call the defence force recruiting people, they're helpful (says my bro, who's considering joining the air force himself).

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
the RAAF is pretty damn hard to get into though ... if i was you i'd kinda figure out what you want now, and start heading in that direction ;).

there were a few people i knew from school and other friends who wanted to oin the RAAF and become pilots, and not one of them made it in :\

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Purp|e said:
the RAAF is pretty damn hard to get into though ... if i was you i'd kinda figure out what you want now, and start heading in that direction ;).

there were a few people i knew from school and other friends who wanted to oin the RAAF and become pilots, and not one of them made it in :\
yeah, i think the RAAF wants a 90+ in chem and physics, and probably a spanker of a uai as well.

like i said, if you want to be a pilot, you'll have to be intelligent, and able to solve problems really fast. if you cant get the marks (there are heaps of bright people who just arent fucked with the hsc haha) then you'd prolly have to pay for a pilots course.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
scarybunny said:
yeah, i think the RAAF wants a 90+ in chem and physics, and probably a spanker of a uai as well.

like i said, if you want to be a pilot, you'll have to be intelligent, and able to solve problems really fast. if you cant get the marks (there are heaps of bright people who just arent fucked with the hsc haha) then you'd prolly have to pay for a pilots course.
haha i wanna see megan at unsw - adfa! c'mon why dont u become a pilot as well??!! :)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
scarybunny said:

For the RAAF, marks don't matter that much. There are heaps of other factors that come into play.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
sikeveo said:
For the RAAF, marks don't matter that much. There are heaps of other factors that come into play.
yeah, my bro only told me the hsc marks they wanted, but there's definitely more to it.

... i dont know exactly what, though =/
it HAS been like... 20 years since my parents were in the airforce haha. and my bro's only done preliminary research, because he's not sure what he wants to do yet. so i'm not really much help heh.

jamiedumas

HSC
Hi,

I understand you want some advice on becomming a commercial pilot.

I am currently in Year 12 and wish to travel down the same pathway.

Let me start by saying, you have chosen the right subjects. Adv English, Maths at least 2u and Physics are a must.

Have you started training yet? The sooner the better. I am seventeen and am very close to completing my private pilots license which will allow me to fly solo anywhere around Australia.

If your in Sydney investigate flying schools such as Basair and Aerospace Aviation, these are the two big players.

Be aware though the costs of studying the course is VERY EXPENSIVE.

A typical lesson in your training aircraft ranges from $150.00-$220.00per hour depending on wherether it is a solo or dual flight and as you progress through your training this can expand to anywhere between $200.00 and $750.00 per hour as you master different aircraft and achieve different ratings.

It is an Aus. Gov. regulation now that all student pilots must have the following:- arn- aviation identification number- free
amc- aviation medical certificate- $250.00 (min. standard)
spl- free
asic- australian security identification card- $150.00

To get to where I am at this stage I have spent around $10000 of my own money, not a cent of which my parents have paid. I have purchased headsets and textbooks which equal approx $1500 and turned up very early of weekend mornings to fly which means no parties or alchohol the night before.

You need to have a work ethic- I was working from the end of year 8 at a fast food establishment (think chickens and southern cornel) and worked there for 2 years, I then worked at a supermarket doing nightfill and checkouts, my most recent job is at a cinema where I am really happy- the place is da bomb!.

Be prepared to work, to pay for my dreams I worked about 25 hours per week in years 8-10 around 50 per week in the school holidays. In year eleven I worked about 10-15 per week and 50 per week in the hols. Currently in year 12 i am working 5-10 hours per week and 20 or so in the holidays.

If you choose to follow this career- YOU WILL HAVE NO LIFE. You will continually be slaving away at crappy jobs for lousy money until you reach your dreams, every friday night and saturday night at that fast food establishment for 2 years made me PI**ED off. But if you want it bad- go for it, dont let anyone stop you but be prepared to make huge sacrifices.

My only other advice is to write to airlines- let them know you exist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)