Becoming a FINANCIAL PLANNER (1 Viewer)

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
Hey,
I know financial planner positions doesnt require degrees, but i feel rather than go and get a diploma having a degree will fast track my career, am i thinking correctly? anyone pursuing their career as a financial planner? i dont like maths, so i feel this is where my best bet is, i want to work with peoples money, and give advice with investments, super etc. what other careers would you suggest?

cheers

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Not sure if this helps, but a mate of mine quit uni in his second year to pursue some training a financial planning firm offered him.

He's now earning 6-figure aged 23 and never works more than 9-5.

I guess that would indicate a degree means jack all if you meet the right people (and treat them right).

pete_mate

HSC
you dont like maths, so you reckon dealing with money will be ideal... right

HSC
pete_mate said:
you dont like maths, so you reckon dealing with money will be ideal... right
yeah i was thinking that too..wouldnt financial planning involve working with numbers and doing calculations and all that..so numeracy skills at least would be a must?

p.s. whoa dude we have the same birthday (cept im a year younger)! happy bday for yesterday lol. sorry that was kinda random :eek:

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Well the PS146 compliance is basically necessary and if you want to do a degree then Im not sure about other universities, but UWS has a unit called Financial Planning (V1) which is PS146 compliant, and there is a major in Financial Planning in the Applied Finance Degree of UWS, which may interest you.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Holy fuck...I'm 25th April too :s

pete_mate

HSC
wtf is going on here? 2 people with the same birthday as me, i thought i was special and lucky, cos i always get a public holiday, whcih you can get pissed on and play 2-up

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
watatank said:
yeah i was thinking that too..wouldnt financial planning involve working with numbers and doing calculations and all that..so numeracy skills at least would be a must?

p.s. whoa dude we have the same birthday (cept im a year younger)! happy bday for yesterday lol. sorry that was kinda random :eek:
real maths that involve multiply, minus, plus, divide etc. are piss easy, im talking more advanced maths like algebra, calculus etc. i dont like those.

diploma is essential i know, and takes less time but i felt if i major in financial planner degree it will open up other opportunities in finance if i decide to move on from being a financial planner after 10 years or 20 years in this profession, also having a degree will mean a better starting package and benefits, am i righ thinking this way?

pete_mate

HSC
there is advanced maths, algebra and statistics in finance

in accounting, no. but id say financial planning should have some mixture of finance, otherwise it's just about likek tax law or something lame,

HSC
pete_mate said:
wtf is going on here? 2 people with the same birthday as me, i thought i was special and lucky, cos i always get a public holiday, whcih you can get pissed on and play 2-up
sorry to burst your bubble :eek:

HSC
N/A
pete_mate said:

in accounting, no. but id say financial planning should have some mixture of finance, otherwise it's just about likek tax law or something lame,
What would you classify as advanced maths?

ND

HSC
pete_mate said:
Yes there is, just not in any undergrad finance course.

ND

HSC
About 80% of my degree is statistics in one form or another - but advanced? It depends on your defintiion; i definately wouldn't call anything that isn't cutting edge/ at least PhD level advanced.

HSC
N/A
ND said:
About 80% of my degree is statistics in one form or another - but advanced? It depends on your defintiion; i definately wouldn't call anything that isn't cutting edge/ at least PhD level advanced.
yes but the post used commas, which means "and" in the context used. So in other words the post said "there is advanced maths and algebra and statistics in finance"

So saying there is no statistics is misleading. It not like there will be any PhD level anything in any undergraduate degree, so the context of "advanced" needs to be assessed and considered to be advanced in terms of undergraduate studies.

Last edited:

ND

HSC
yes but the post used commas, which means "and" in the context used. So in other words the post said "there is advanced maths and algebra and statistics in finance"
Look if you want to nit-pick, the condition (advanced maths) and algebra and statistics is broken if any of the 3 aren't met - since there is no advanced math in an undergrad finance degree, my statement was correct.

So saying there is no statistics is misleading. It not like there will be any PhD level anything in any undergraduate degree, so the context of "advanced" needs to be assessed and considered to be advanced in terms of undergraduate studies.
The level of maths in a math undergrad should be about equal to the level of math in a finance Msc/PhD.

Anyone who thinks there's advanced math/advanced statistics in an undergrad finance degree is a moron.

HSC
N/A
ND said:
Look if you want to nit-pick, the condition (advanced maths) and algebra and statistics is broken if any of the 3 aren't met - since there is no advanced math in an undergrad finance degree, my statement was correct.

ND said:
The level of maths in a math undergrad should be about equal to the level of math in a finance Msc/PhD.
If you are comparing like to like then (finance undergrad to a finance postgrad) Then they should not be equal difficulty. However I can understand that a straight maths degree will be more maths focused then a finance degree (obviously).

ND said:
Anyone who thinks there's advanced math/advanced statistics in an undergrad finance degree is a moron.
Agreed, but as "advanced" is as far as I am concerned is a subjective term it needs to be put into context. Which you yourself have said depends on ones definition. So its more constructive to state the type of maths covered or the mathematical skills required (possibly in terms of the level of HSC or equivilent maths level.)

I hope you didnt take offence, im just trying to help the OP out here

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)