Becoming a High School Mathematics Teacher (1 Viewer)

iamaloser17

You know the house across the street? Opposite tha
HSC
So I want to become a math teacher. But tbh, I have no clue on which uni's are good or not, which will provide the best experience and opportunities for me, which are the best courses to do etc. etc. I feel bad for not knowing these basics. Like, I don't even know what a double degree is tbh lel. :(

The main courses I've really considered towards this goal are:
1) Bachelor of Education (Secondary:Mathematics)/Bachelor of Science in USyd
2) Bachelor of Science/Education in UNSW
3) Bachelor of Advanced Mathematics and then getting a Diploma in Teaching

Life is hard tbh. Choices are hard too. Not having advice is the worst so help a fellow out. :)

Thank you.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
double degree is u get 2 degrees instead of the 1, in this case degree for education, and degree in mathematics, I highly recommend u chose USYD or UNSW, the other unis are complete shit in regards to teaching. USYD is 5yrs, UNSW is 4yrs. Would not recomend a dip teach as it is min 2yrs now, so your last option is actually 6yrs. Im 2nd year math teacher at UNSW, so if u have more questions just ask

iamaloser17

You know the house across the street? Opposite tha
HSC
Alright.

At USyd, the time is 5 years whereas UNSW it's 4. Does this mean that there are significant differences between the courses and does it affect opportunities for me in the future?

Also how many hours of experience in an actual school setting does each uni provide?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Alright.

At USyd, the time is 5 years whereas UNSW it's 4. Does this mean that there are significant differences between the courses and does it affect opportunities for me in the future?

Also how many hours of experience in an actual school setting does each uni provide?
not much difference, only difference i really got told was usyd get extra 5k start salary, not too sure abot usyd but UNSW has 80days

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Question: Is it necessary to take a minor in a course?
would be if you were doing english/history otherwise not for maths, however saying that you can take a minor in a science area if you enjoy chem/phys/bio/earth sci. All it does is allow you to teach in your minor area aswell, which might boost your employment, but 99% of the time if u will still be teaching maths, due to the shortages.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
In my humble opinion, the best training for a maths teacher is the very old one: do a degree majoring in Maths, if possible up to the Honours level. Then do a Diploma of Education, or some similar piece of qualification, to enable you to be accepted into teaching. The so-called Education or Teaching courses hardly train you in the art of teaching.

Go to the top unis - Usyd or Unsw. Don't ever do it at the Australian Catholic University - they make the teaching profession an embarrassment, taking in students with ATARs as low as 50.

Last edited:
HSC
So I want to become a math teacher.
The main courses I've really considered towards this goal are:
1) Bachelor of Education (Secondary:Mathematics)/Bachelor of Science in USyd
2) Bachelor of Science/Education in UNSW
3) Bachelor of Advanced Mathematics and then getting a Diploma in Teaching
HEY MAN

You and I are pretty much the same in terms of career goals ^^ I've talked to a number of teachers and they all have differing opinions - I reckon if you're not 110% sure on becoming a math teacher the best option/s would be to do the B Adv. Maths (which would mean you're a little "over-qualified" but preferable to a number of schools) in the subject area. I'm also reasonably certain that with a DipEd/Masters you also get paid slightly more than with just the bachelor degree.

If you can cope doing BEd w/ B Sci at Sydney/UNSW then I say go for it - after all, shortage of math and science teachers all around. The double degree would be valuable as you'd cover a lot more content and be more well-versed in the field. I would also say don't discount other options from other universities, though - if you're certain about pursuing a career in education you may also want to consider going to ACU as they do offer a special cert/extra course that qualifies you to teach in Catholic schools (don't quote me on it, I found this out through an ACU speaker that came to my school).

Also be mindful that teaching prac during university = essential - I know that UTS has started to introduce secondary education into their degree program 2016 onwards, but they are known for giving students who do the Primary Ed course prac each year. Planning on heading to open day to see if the prac placements will be the same for the secondary education program.

I probably didn't help that much considering I gave you even more uni options (soz about that :/ deciding is so hard esp. since so many unis offer education) but personally if I were you (and my brain could actually cope doing 4u lol) I'd do the Adv. Mathematics then go with the Dip in Teaching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)