Becoming a partner (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Still early days, but does anyone know what the process is to becoming a partner at a financial firm?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Mmm, financial firm I;m not sure, but for a big accouting firm, I know most in-house partners are promoted usually after 10-15 years in the firm, or if from outside the firm, you'd need similar experience from senior management.

I was talking to BOS' management consultant (who's worked for a big4 for several years) and he was saying that the road to becoming a partner is now getting longer, because the older partner's are retiring later, and thus are reluctant to admit new partners due to the dilation of their equity share

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I read in the papers that in the Big4... people are made partners between 32 and 40. *shrugs* I wouldn't mind being a partner ;)

a_person86

HSC
I work for a firm from the Big 4, the maximum a partner can stay on is reducing from 58 to 54. Also, the youngest partner was 27 (28 now).

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I think there is an intermediate-stage partner - salaried partner. Fact or fiction?

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
§eraphim said:
I think there is an intermediate-stage partner - salaried partner. Fact or fiction?
i dont think so, that would be more likely have the title Director

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Different firms have different titles for the varying ranks leading upto and beyond Partner.. eg, Staff Partner, Managing Partner, Principal, Director, Senior Director, Junior Partner, etc...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
§eraphim said:
Yeah, I think they are called Principal's (at EY anyway)

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
seremify007 said:
Different firms have different titles for the varying ranks leading upto and beyond Partner.. eg, Staff Partner, Managing Partner, Principal, Director, Senior Director, Junior Partner, etc...
nearly right, but no, the managing partner is the partner in charge of managing the whole office, just like a boss/manager at any other type of business

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Minai said:
Yeah, I think they are called Principal's (at EY anyway)
I checked up on this, and you are correct-e-mundo.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Emily. said:
nearly right, but no, the managing partner is the partner in charge of managing the whole office, just like a boss/manager at any other type of business
But isn't Managing Partner a rank above Partner?

Referring to my original post, I said... varying ranks leading upto and beyond Partner.

L

LaraB

The year spans most people said sound about right - but that is if you fit the stereotypical 'mould'....

It is significantly longer if, for example, you're a female and you plan on having a family - the average according to this report that was in BRW i think Oct/Nov last year? is 5 years (minimum) on top of the so called average... according to an article in Management today if you're a 'working mum' its about 5 years more, if you take maternity leave more than once it's an average of 9.5 years longer...

Similar stats are shown for 'minority groups', people with carer responsibilities, people who take extended sick leave, things like taht...

Also depends on the firm - things like political and ethical views can seriously screw you up in terms of progression in the firm...

If you have really young partners copmarative to other firms it may seem a good thing because you see younger people progressing quickly rather than just a bunch of old guys who are only there coz they've been there forever, but, you'll be in for a longer wait lol... coz they'er not likely to retire or die or anything anytime soon..:p

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
seremify007 said:
But isn't Managing Partner a rank above Partner?

Referring to my original post, I said... varying ranks leading upto and beyond Partner.
yeah i see that now sorry, but managing partner isnt really above partner (senior partner is), its just generally the partner in the office who is assigned to management issues, rather than other business objectives

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Meads said:
I checked up on this, and you are correct-e-mundo.
Yeah, during my interview, one of the Principal's referred to himself as "a partner on training wheels" lol

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
yeah that level below partner (i.e. director/principal) arent part of the partnership as such but they "owe" (i use that term loosely) more to the firm than just a manager, such as having to give extended periods of notice for resignation and rules regarding who they can go work for after leaving etc.

humphreybear

HSC
actually in 2004, Deloitte appointed a 25 year old partner (no joke) into its web consulting division

I assume he was offered a staff partner position

phrred

HSC
UNSW chancellor was a partner of law firm Freehills at age 26

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LaraB said:
The year spans most people said sound about right - but that is if you fit the stereotypical 'mould'....

It is significantly longer if, for example, you're a female and you plan on having a family - the average according to this report that was in BRW i think Oct/Nov last year? is 5 years (minimum) on top of the so called average... according to an article in Management today if you're a 'working mum' its about 5 years more, if you take maternity leave more than once it's an average of 9.5 years longer...

Similar stats are shown for 'minority groups', people with carer responsibilities, people who take extended sick leave, things like taht...
I heard minority groups have better odds of being made partner for obvious reasons :p ... alot of firms have details on their newest appointed partners on their websites so maybe go check that out :)

turtleface

HSC
politik said:
Im wanting to do the first year program at Deloitte - anyone done this before?
A bit late, but yeah I did it last year (and also this year cause it sort of runs across 2 years)

Its a lot of information sessions, activities and drinks with staff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)