Begin in Semester 2? (1 Viewer)

rubylotus11

Anyone else here deferring till 2005. Unfortunately we will be forced to pay the new higher fees.
I was trying to think if there is a way of beginning in Semester 2 and therefore still coming under 2004 HECS. Does anyone know about this or if it is possible? I haven't been able to find any answers so far. Thanks

rubylotus11

But the only problem is would you therefore be subject to paying the full $3768 current HECS for studying this year?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by rubylotus11
But the only problem is would you therefore be subject to paying the full $3768 current HECS for studying this year?
no you wouldn't be charged the $3768... you would be charged 1/8 of that which is $471 for the single unit...

your doing arts at usyd right?
if you are, i'm pretty sure you can defer for 6 months..

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by natstar
How much actually does the HECS fee go up for 2005+ for band 2 courses?
It depends, its up to the uni - they can charge up to 30% more than the current HECS fees for popular courses...they can also reduce HECS fees - I read an article about Macquarie removing HECS entirely on some of its advanced science units - so u can basically study those for free

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah you can do that, what majesty said is right

rubylotus11

That would be great. I'll have to talk to them. Does anyone know what I need to do? I know that to defer you can fax them the deferment application, but do I need to specify that I want to defer for six months? And do you think I would need to apply to UAC or something to take up my offer for Semester 2? Thanks if anyone knows.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
you should ask the arts faculty for more information.

but if you have already enrolled, i don't think you will be allowed to defer...

so decide before you enrol...

rubylotus11

I've got until the 27th, since that's the last day for deferring and luckily my surname is in the A-L bracket so I don't have to enrol until the 27th too.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
27th? i thought all enrolments have to be in sometime this week...

rubylotus11

Well on the website and the leaflet I was sent it said that A-L surnames enrol on 27th. I better double check that but that's what both said.

rubylotus11

I called the infoline this morning and I was told that I probably wouldn't be able to only enrol in one unit, but that I would have to be a part-time student. I am right trying to get in touch with admissions but I am still waiting on the line.

rubylotus11

Okay I finally got through to the Faculty of Arts but he was really unhelpful. It seems that I would have to enrol on tuesday and just enrol in second semester units, so like 18 credit points. But I don't get how that would work out for the second year since I wouldn't have enough junior points (12) to move onto the senior units for the subjects I want. Does this make sense to anyone and could you explain it to me. I'm a little confused.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah i get what he is saying...

you have no choice and your only option is to enrol into the second semester subejcts.

and then in the next year, you would have to enrol in the first year first semester classes..

it kinda stuffs you up in your degree and your pre-req's... but thats the only way to do it unless you do summer school or something!!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Summer school is probably the smartest way if you want to finish on time, and in a logical order. Do half your semester one units now (12 CP) then defer for six months, take semester two like normal (24 CP) and do the other two semester one subjects in summer school (12cp). That way you start second year on track and on par with everyone else. A bit of work for a (relatively small) six month break though...

rubylotus11

Well I spoke to this really nice and helpful lady today from the University and she was able to explain everything. None of my subjects have pre-requisites luckily so I can just enrol now in just second semester units and then I'll finish mid-year 2007. But I think it will probably kind of stuff up the degree since I'll always be doing semester 2 units first, so I am going to think about it over the weekend and then come to a conclusion before my enrolment day, which is also the last day to defer. So anyway it will work itself out.

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Summer school is probably the smartest way if you want to finish on time, and in a logical order. Do half your semester one units now (12 CP) then defer for six months, take semester two like normal (24 CP) and do the other two semester one subjects in summer school (12cp). That way you start second year on track and on par with everyone else. A bit of work for a (relatively small) six month break though...
Only problem with summer school, esp at Macquarie is you have to pay upfront full fees, and there's a limited number of subjects you can do.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
thats the same at usyd majesty...

L1onHeart

But in Macquarie summer course is very intensive only about 1 month so you need to consider carefully if you want to take it. I heard in USYD is 2 months I wish it is the same too in Macquarie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)