Behavioural Theory / Systems Approach - what's the difference? (1 Viewer)

Guol

Awesome Member
HSC
Hi.
We're learning this in school atm, and I'm getting abit confused.

The textbook talks about how both the behavioural theory and systems approach have:
- individuals working in teams
- a democratic style of leadership
- a flat organisational structure
- empowerment of individuals

I've tried asking my teacher, but he said he isn't really sure about the difference.

So wondering if anyone could help me figure out a definition.
Also, if possible could you incorporate a scenario (real life or imaginary) in order to help develop a better understanding.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Are they simply the same thing, but Behavioural focuses more on the people aspect whilst Systems focuses on the productivity aspect?
So does that mean that a business with a Behavioural focus can have a Systems approach, but a business with a classic-scientific/political focus cannot?

Last edited:

Manson-AAN

HSC
N/A
^ From the excel textbook, it says this

""The systems approach took up where the process left off in unifying management theory. It can be traced back to the natural and physical sciences and approach stresses the inter-relatedness and interdependency of parts to the whole. Thus the formal organisation is seen as a system of consisting of strucrurew, proceesses and technology and the human being is thought of as a system containtin a biological-physiological strucuree, psychological processes and a personality"

""Coontingency theory, has much to offer organisation as it marks a move to control through cultrue and ideology rather than one strucutre and formalisation, which is the appraoch of traiditional management styles. As it has become clear that neither the quantitative nor the behavioural aproachs hav all the answers for all situatiosn, a contingency appraoch recognises the complexity invovled in managing modern organisations but uses the pattern of relationships and /or configurations of sub-systems has come into vogue. the aim ish to facilitate imrpvoed practice and to this end improtant breakthrus hav occured in various systems of managemnt"

(sorry about my typing xD)

Hope this helps!

HSC
Systems looks at the parts and the whole picture at the same time, and managers must attempt to reconcile the two by making sure people work together. It's also about the business interacting with the external business environment.

Behavioural is a closer focus on human behaviour and such (Maslow's heirarchy of needs etc).

Business can have many different approaches, this might be called contingency theory because approaches are applied to individual situations and circumstances.

They should be easy to distinguish in a particular scenario, if you're asked to define systems in a short response or something mention the parts and the whole.

Foxodi

HSC
Systems approach = Behavioural - Some Social Aspect + Synergy ideas
I'd imagine using the word 'synergy' with 'systems approach' would go pretty far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)