• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Beijing Olympics 2008 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
AsyLum said:
London will not have the same manpower or funds that the Chinese had at their disposal, and the traffic around London will also be one of the major issues, something which was very well controlled in Beijing I thought, the advantages of having a certain government seems to have paid off.

And dude, the ending had Jackie Chan...and David Beckham kicking a football awkwardly...biggest let down ever. Thought he'd at least be doing free kicks into some awesome setup...but yeah

Did it feel like all the singing/playing was also lip-synched? A few times I was questioning if Jimmy was actually playing there... :(

Anyone else see how small Lauren Jackson looked when she hugged Yao Ming? Fark that guys tall
Yeah, seemed 100% lip synched. It was a bit off sometimes, particularly for the ching chong singers

SipSip

HSC
N/A
The closing ceremony is not as good as the opening, must admit, but I doubt London will have as good a game; mainly because London does not have anywhere near the money or manpower as China, plus UK's hold on the economy will be far less in 4 years time.

Also think about the tourists that goes there, with the pound being that expensive, I doubt there will be as many countries participating as Beijing's one. It will also be less talked about when the time comes because of the time difference we have here.

Is it just me, or is Becks drop kicking the ball of the bus one of the lamest things after the buildup of the news saying he'll be kicking balls off the top of a London bus...

SipSip

HSC
N/A
atreus said:
obviously after what happened in 2005 and because its the olympics there will be tight security. i meant freer in terms of the atmosphere, but also to some extent that londoners will probably not have to fill in an application form to protest.

london will not have as many volunteers/peoplepower, but i doubt anyone is expecting any country to have more manpower than china.

is london changing the logo, or are they sticking with the one that looks like lisa simpson giving a blow job?

That's their logo...and apparently it's been getting shits from the public since it was released...

as for manpower...maybe India?? but doubt India will ever host the Olympics...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
SipSip said:
That's their logo...and apparently it's been getting shits from the public since it was released...

as for manpower...maybe India?? but doubt India will ever host the Olympics...
They said that about China for years. I'm sure India will host it in the future: maybe in 20+ years time. It's a rapidly growing economy

stazi

Nightman
HSC
barbecuedflava said:
do anyone see the cuban taekwondo guy who kicked the ref in the head??!!!
no one did. that's why it's been mentioned fifty times in this thread

insert-name

HSC
barbecuedflava said:
do anyone see the cuban taekwondo guy who kicked the ref in the head??!!!
omgg i did!!
lol that was cool.
stupid.
but cool.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
All up, I'd say I have a less favourable opinion of China after the games. It was grand and impressive, but it was totally mean spirited. It was all about China and how superior they are - no humility or gracious hospitality.
An arrogant, pig-headed nation unusually obsessed with power. Up your China: your star has risen too late for this century

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Iron said:
It was grand and impressive, but it was totally mean spirited. It was all about China and how superior they are - no humility or gracious hospitality.
An arrogant, pig-headed nation unusually obsessed with power.
I completely agree.

Iron said:
All up, I'd say I have a less favourable opinion of China after the games.
This is true for me as well... and my opinion of China was significantly less than favourable to begin with.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Iron said:
All up, I'd say I have a less favourable opinion of China after the games. It was grand and impressive, but it was totally mean spirited. It was all about China and how superior they are - no humility or gracious hospitality.
An arrogant, pig-headed nation unusually obsessed with power. Up your China: your star has risen too late for this century
ur hero disagrees

THE former prime minister Paul Keating has attacked the Western media's coverage of the Beijing Olympics as condescending, elitist and typical of the developed world's general disdain for China.

Most of the coverage was seen through the prism of Tibet, Mr Keating told the Melbourne Writers' Festival at the weekend, and disregarded the "massive leaps" forward in areas such as poverty alleviation and declining infant mortality.

"In a Western and elitist way, we have viewed China's right to its Olympic Games, to its 'coming out', its moment of glory, with condescension and concessional tolerance," Mr Keating said.

"The Western critic, feeling the epicentre of the world changing but not at all liking it, seeks to put down these vast societies on the basis that their political and value systems don't match up to theirs."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-games-coverage/2008/08/24/1219516262691.html

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
THE former prime minister Paul Keating has attacked the Western media's coverage of the Beijing Olympics as condescending, elitist and typical of the developed world's general disdain for China.
I disagree. From what I saw I think they were very, very easy on them. I saw a little bit of criticism about crowds and lack of atmosphere, but if it was any other country they would of got it much worse.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
ur hero disagrees

Most of the coverage was seen through the prism of Tibet, Mr Keating told the Melbourne Writers' Festival at the weekend, and disregarded the "massive leaps" forward in areas such as poverty alleviation and declining infant mortality.

"In a Western and elitist way, we have viewed China's right to its Olympic Games, to its 'coming out', its moment of glory, with condescension and concessional tolerance," Mr Keating said.

"The Western critic, feeling the epicentre of the world changing but not at all liking it, seeks to put down these vast societies on the basis that their political and value systems don't match up to theirs."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-games-coverage/2008/08/24/1219516262691.html
I think you'll find that i've revised my position
One China,
and all that

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
+1 Keating

TodayTonight should've been put on hold like the rest of ch7 programs during the Olympics. All their 'reports' over the past 2 weeks were ignorant attacks on China. There are too many to recall but I do remember them having an "expert" *cough* say "the opening ceremony was faked, like everything in China, why bother with the closing ceremony?"

Lol @ SMH's "shock revelation" at the Sydney olympic fake Orchestra

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Feel how the Greater Being comes!
Rejoice and, in rejoicing die!
Melt in the music of the drums!
For I am you and you are I

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)