Being called into work. (2 Viewers)

Lennie

Its official. I am hopeless.

I am the biggest sucker for being called into work.

Manager; "Can you work 8-6 tommorow??"

Me; Um well.... (dont say yes, DONT say yes) Yes... love to.... (DAMN)

Anyone else have the same tendency?? This feels like the millionth time.

At my work, they tend to put the guilt trip on you, something shocking, if you refuse.

What do you say in these sorts of situations??

HSC
EnterNameHere said:
Its official. I am hopeless.

I am the biggest sucker for being called into work.

Manager; "Can you work 8-6 tommorow??"

Me; Um well.... (dont say yes, DONT say yes) Yes... love to.... (DAMN)

Anyone else have the same tendency?? This feels like the millionth time.

At my work, they tend to put the guilt trip on you, something shocking, if you refuse.

What do you say in these sorts of situations??

OH ME ME ME!!!! i feel all bad if I say no, even though i know im casual and its their problem if i cant work but i always end up goin ohh ok fine.... arrggh

Lennie

natstar said:
me too. Back home i work at woolies and its like 1/2 hour drive from my place. I had the day off, and went shopping in town, drove home, walk in the door, phone rings "can you come in" me- "ohh ok"
Haha. Completely understand.

I'll have made plans to go shopping, or do something equally as lazy, be looking foward to it, and next thing i know, im heading out to work for the rest of the day.

I dont really mind my job, but its become crazy.

Maybe as tulipa says, its just easier then making up an excuse... :p

Lennie

natstar said:
Where do you work again? I once used my tutorial registration for uni as an excuse. It was like a 2 minute job on the net for an 8 hour shift
Surf Store at Warringah Mall.

The best excuse I have come up with was;

"Actually... I'm in Canberra at the moment!"

I was proud :p

Lennie

I would be tempted to quit just for that.

Employers can be so stupid. When I was at Woolies ages and ages ago, I would tell them when I couldnt work, about a month in advance. I would write it in all the books, and remind them etc. etc.

And yet I would check the roster, and my name would still be up there.

What shits me the most about this, is that when I told them "hang on, I said i cant work", they would just say something along the lines of "Find someone to replace you then".

That sucked.

Very happy I got out of there fast enough.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i'm so bad at saying no. They always sound so disappointed if u say no, the only time i can ever do it is if i genuinely cant, and even then i feel bad all day.

like today i said yes 2 a shift for the DAY AFTER MY BIRTHDAY PARTY.

grrrr, stupid guilt

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Yes, I take shifts when I don't want to all the time.

I took a shift this Thursaday after I finish my last exam (grr, that was silly). My parents can't beleive I can't so no either ...

HSC
N/A
before i didn't mind coming into work when they called me, but now i've got a new manager who's a fuckwit and i say no all the time

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
i dont find it hard to say no at all.

my manager has called me at least 10 times since i got the job to come and fill in for someone that got sick, but it shits me how he usually calls me at 9am and expects me to be there at 1pm. ive got a day planned you dick i cant always be at home with nothing planned waiting for your call. so i just say "nah, im real sorry i got alot of things planned today".

he sounds pissed everytime but i dont care. the more you say yes, the more they'll call you in to work at times you dont like, so just take a stand, now my manager doesnt bother anymore.

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
I find it so hard to say no unless I really can't. They called me up today to work from 6pm to midnight and I really didn't want to but I said yes anyway. It sucks being a pushover. :( Oh well! Just think of the $$$ I guess.

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
if i get called into work we get an extra $5 an hour so for $24 an hour im more than happy... i just hate it when your at work and have plans afterwards and they deliberately keep you back, i dnt mind if they say can u stay back an extra hour etc etc

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yeh i find it hard to say no as well
but its because the reason i want to say no is that i just can;t be bothered, rather than having an actual reason for not going in.
so i guess its better to go to work and make the money, than just bum around, so your brain just makes u say yes?

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
artheterosexual said:
before i didn't mind coming into work when they called me, but now i've got a new manager who's a fuckwit and i say no all the time
Lol my manager's awesome so I really hate saying no when I'm asked to work. It's kind of a catch 22, if u always say yes they will always ask you and you'll keep working days u don't want to, but if you say no they'll never call you and then when you want more work cos u need money you can't get the work ... :mad:

NonExistant

Don't read this sentance.
HSC
I don't find it hard to say no, even if I'm just being lazy or have a genuine reason. That's because working at dominos is for suckers and luckaly I never had to do that ever again...

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh i always get roped in
usually when they call im sitting around at home doing nothing anyway so i dont really mind. if im at uni, teaching at school or like when i was in canberra for a day, obviously i had to say no. i dont mind it though.. i like money

theone123

blue essence
HSC
yeah i feel that same tendency u feel, i actually took a couple of shifts just before my final exam (which was not good)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i never feel bad about saying no, especially when they call you at 8:30 and want you there by nine on a sunday morning! ffs im barely awake and i was looking forward to doing other stuff. grrr. plus they never seem to get that i cant miraculously make a half hour trip in 5 minutes, no matter how hard i try. however if they give me enough notice, like say a couple hours, i would say yes for the sake of getting paid.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
yea, thats pretty dodgy.. i would do the same aswell, but my boss normally tells me a week earlier which is good.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I NEVER do it unless I'm tempted for the money, I used to always get sucked into it, but I have found that my work takes advantage of me (like making it really difficult to get a day off, just expecting me to stay back all the time and even unpaid sometimes) so I just say "sorry already had plans!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)