Being forced to repeat or do pathways for HSC, NEED URGENT HELP! (1 Viewer)

intheshits

HSC
So I am a year 12 student currently enrolled in a selective high school in the top 10 as of last year.
My attendance sheets (which only include whole day absences, whether it be explained or unexplained) state 60% for 2012 Term 1 and 65ish% for 2011 Term 4.
2011 Term 4: 17 day whole absences and 6 partial day absences; 5 of which I arrived at school before 1st period started (missed rollcall).
2012 Term 1: 6 day whole explained, 14 day unexplained, 1 partial day explained, 7 partial day unexplained. The explained whole days are for when I missed an assessment or a day leading up to one. The one partial explained is when I was sent home for being sick. 4 partial day unexplained were from missing roll call but before 1st period.
----------
I have a medium mark for my 1st math and eco exam. I have done a catch-up exam for 3 other tests, a day or so after the assigned date due to sickness (all covered with medical certs).
The deputy knows of my sickness where I had breathing problems etc in the morning which lead me to majority of my absences. I didn't provide any medical certs, because there wasn't really a medical cert to explain the situation. My mum however is aware of the sickness I had. Eventually, during 2012 term 1, the deputy said it was unacceptable to miss full days, she said she understood that my sickness could yield me from attending in the morning, but attending the rest of the day should have been no problem, being there partially was better than not being there at all.
----------
During the 1st assessment, I was above average for all my subjects except english adv where I was 6 ranks under average out of 160 students.
During the 2nd assessment, I did poorly due to my absences and not enough study etc; 2u math 30%, 40ish% PE (Rank 1 in 1st assessment), 60% 2u eng and just over 50% for the rest.
---------
Eventually, just last week, they said I would need to do an interview with my parents and myself along with the deputy and principal. The deputy explained that the principal and regional director(?) were not pleased with my attendance. She continued to say that based on previous students/years, the principal will most likely offer pathways, repeat or leave (to finish at another place/dropout). I asked whether I would be able to reject the offer and complete the HSC this year, she said she doesn't know and that it was all up to the principle.
--------
Do I have any rights to reject this offer and complete the HSC or is the principal allowed to hand down the verdict as she wishes? I called the BoS and they said they didn't have a set requirement for attendance in days, just 3 rules of attending class, engaging, completing set work. I remember reading that the department has up to 50 days of absences? I am not sure. I have no wish to do pathways, repeat or leave. I would like to finish my HSC this year at my current school. I have not yet gone to the meeting (it's this week), and they said everything will be decided on that day so I don't know if those are the only 3 options she will give and I don't have time to increase my attendance or anything. The deputy also said that 85% was the acceptable/required attendance according to bos/school rules, I have no idea. If the principal is allowed and does give me the 3 options of leaving, pathways, repeat, is there anything I can do to change her decision?
-------
Any help is much appreciated, so please do reply if you know anything in regards to this type of situation. Thanks again.
Ask me any additional information if required.

intheshits

HSC
Does anyone know of anyone who could help me with this issue?

SugaryMilk

HSC
I'm not entirely sure, different schools do it differently. It most likely depends on your school. What school are you from?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Your school has every right to do that.

My school says te BOS requires a 85% attendance record to complete the hsc.

As far as I know you should really prepare that you will need to drop out

Anyway, how do you miss so much school?

SugaryMilk

HSC
After looking into it a bit further, I found this on the Board of Studies website:

This is a school issue except when the student’s eligibility for the School Certificate or HSC is in danger. All students must complete their courses satisfactorily to be eligible for the School Certificate and for the HSC.

If a student is at risk of not completing a course, the school principal will give the student (and their pare
parent or guardian, if the student is under the age of 18), a written warning of the possible consequences of non-completion and how any problem could be corrected.

So has the school contacted your guardians yet?

Tim Gibson

HSC
I had a friend in this situation from my own school, he goes to Caringbah High School which is also selective and my currently educational instituition. he was in a similar situation however his reasons for absence can not be discussed. however the school was unaware and he forged many medical certificates(who cant these days). he was given a choice of your options, he had the whole shabang, with an interview with the regional advisor, principle and deputy. his parents got involved and complained to the Board at first notice, cause they were asian and heavily concerned about their child's education. however he was forced to do pathways, and he chose to drop out and finish his education/HSC year at his local high school.
my advice: prepare yourself and your parents.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
After looking into it a bit further, I found this on the Board of Studies website:

This is a school issue except when the student’s eligibility for the School Certificate or HSC is in danger. All students must complete their courses satisfactorily to be eligible for the School Certificate and for the HSC.

If a student is at risk of not completing a course, the school principal will give the student (and their pare
parent or guardian, if the student is under the age of 18), a written warning of the possible consequences of non-completion and how any problem could be corrected.

So has the school contacted your guardians yet?
He's already said he has a interview with his parents at the school

SugaryMilk

HSC
Was this year 12 2011? I might know someone from Caringbah who fit that story :confused2:

intheshits

HSC
What school are you from?

I know for a fact they won't tell me to drop out, they are thinking of pathways or repeating and if I don't accept, that I will be asked to leave(?) to complete the hsc somewhere else etc.

If I plead my case with reasoning as to why I don't need an extra year to study due to me only wanting to get into a course with a low atar count of 80s, which is totally achievable with my current state, wouldn't that merit to making them reconsider to let me stay? When I called the BoS, they said the decision given by the school will be in order to "help" me achieve the best atar possible, which would be done by repeating/pathway as it will give me time to catch up. So if I tell them that I won't be motivated to study harder with extra time, due to me only wanting a certain ATAR, which is currently achievable with my current state, would they potentially accept the suggestion? Because they are "trying" to help me, unless they are trying to make me get a higher ATAR to not ruin the cohort and let the cohort achieve better results for the school's reputation.

Another option I was thinking of was, accepting pathways but finishing all my courses this year and sitting the HSC, but re-doing the ones I failed next year. However, if i was satisfied and I didn't achieve under 80 or whatever, the school wouldn't be able to classify me as a fail and let me leave with my hsc completed. Would that be possible?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I am just going to say it

It's your own fault. You shouldn't of missed so many days of school, you should of gotten your act together ages ago

Tim Gibson

HSC
yeah, do you know him. does the first name of the guy start with P?

SugaryMilk

HSC
Yeah I know who it was :l
OT: I would be preparing for the worst... I'm sorry but yes it is your fault

intheshits

HSC
The schools knows I wasn't wagging or jigging.

What was the carringbah guy's attendance and marks at school like? I mean I am currently at around 63% attendance (full day absences) and it is half year.

intheshits

HSC
If I was to get medical certificates and such for my absences to get them all explained or something, would it help?

intheshits

HSC
Like I said in my first post, during the periods of my absences, I had a conidtion where I wouldn't be able to breathe/constnatly spit phlegm out until the afternoon, which made me cbfing to go to school, but then I started to go when they addressed it. Does it have any merit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)