• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Being Fuel Wise. (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
Well we are all aware that as the price of oil goes up and up then down then up again, it is our wallets that are increasingly feeling the pinch of the black liquid's value. I normally save myself heaps of money, simply by being fuel wise and watching trends in petrol prices. I thought I'd list my little technique to saving money - and refreshingly, it doesn't involve driving like a 92 year old woman, either. Please, anybody who bothers to read this, feel welcome to add to it.

All you need to do is keep your eyes open. The easiest way to save fuel is to get informed, and keep an eye on trends and cycles with the price of petrol. I'm not suggesting you borrow your weight in encyclopaedias, or ring up the Sultan of Saudi Arabia - it's eeeeeasy! Go to this link, find your closest capital city, and watch the little line in the second graph. It doesn't involve a doctorate in rocket surgery to spot a downward trend - for example, the below graph shows Sydney beginning a downward trend. In a few days, the price should have dropped even further (when you go out and fill up the car is up to you, because after a while it will begin to rise again). However it does involve a little bit of intuition to interpret exactly what that little line will do, because the cost of petrol can be really unpredictable (see 5/9 to 6/9!) - you really need to watch the news to predict such rapid changes. The 5/9 to 6/9 price hike of over 10 cents coincides with the political aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and US President Bush's degrading opinion polls (the question of the Iraq War was brought up again as a result). It's likely that if the current international climate continues (i.e. nothing major happens), this downward trend will likely continue to sink into the high twenties, before it plateaus and probably it will spike again.

So all in all it can become complicated, and if you're serious you can become quite informed and good at predicting oil prices. Common sense will prevail! :)

(Other ways to save "petty": drive more smoothly, drive less, use those docket "save 4 cents" things, buy a car that uses less petrol (its value will probably appreciate a little - or remain stable - while petrol prices continue to head north), service your car regularly, and any other ideas I have forgotten.)

But most important of all, become a bit of an oil analyst! You'll save the most money, and even more if you combine all of the above. Be fuel wise, and your wallet will worship you.

davo_

good kid
HSC
I would suggest that if you would like to save money on fuel that you buy a V8 Sandman panel van. They have unbelievable fuel economy.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
I hear the Bugatti Veryon 16.4 and Ford Territory are quite the economical cars, as well.

SlipStream

HSC
Have you not learnt of the Ford F250 XLT Powerstroke?

7.3L diesel V8. It used 30L more fuel than my dad's TE50 over the same distance - and that was a 5.6L V8.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
SlipStream said:
Have you not learnt of the Ford F250 XLT Powerstroke?

7.3L diesel V8. It used 30L more fuel than my dad's TE50 over the same distance - and that was a 5.6L V8.
whoa! americans and there big ass cars....

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
Yeah, as you said, drive more smoothy.

Particularly in manuals, dont rev the shit out of it when accelerating (im guilty, but have become more concious of the ramifications with the price of petrol going sky high)

Also, if your car (or parents/siblings/friends etc) has roof-racks, take them off as they create excess drag on the car which = higher fuel consumption.

davo_

good kid
HSC
dimzi said:
Also, if your car (or parents/siblings/friends etc) has roof-racks, take them off as they create excess drag on the car which = higher fuel consumption.
Lets get a little far-fetched ay... How about we stop driving with passengers; as you require more energy to move these passengers and hence more fuel.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
davo_ said:
Lets get a little far-fetched ay... How about we stop driving with passengers; as you require more energy to move these passengers and hence more fuel.
Good idea!

Suppose while you're at it, cut off any parts of your car that you don't really need, say the boot and the compartment. Take the spare out, take all the water out of the catchments, only drive with the smallest amount of fuel in the tank, deflate your tyres cause that pressurised air is hella heavy you know!

And while you're at it, de-inforce the frame, you'll never need that much protection!! (Unless you're in a crash, but as if you would be!)

S13WPN

HSC
SlipStream said:
I thought I'd list my little technique to saving money - and refreshingly, it doesn't involve driving like a 92 year old woman, either.
Sounds like me atm - changing gears at 2500 revs is not fun... I've been doing this lately to see if it cuts down on how much petrol I go through but I don't think I'll bother anymore. The 1.6L four banger is pretty good on fuel anyway...

How much is everyone paying for a full tank of fuel and how many km's do you get out of this and in what car???

HSC
One of the saddest things i've ever done in my life is wander around parking lots, looking for 'save 4c on petrol' dockets in abandoned shopping trolleys for my bf.

Petrol is the cheapest on Tuesday morning... from what i hear anyway.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
whiterabbit said:
One of the saddest things i've ever done in my life is wander around parking lots, looking for 'save 4c on petrol' dockets in abandoned shopping trolleys for my bf.

Petrol is the cheapest on Tuesday morning... from what i hear anyway.
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ohhhhhh thats funny.

SlipStream

HSC
I bought my car because it is the cheapest car on fuel in the price range.

G100 Charade 3-cylinder: 6.55L/100km average city/highway. I drive with a lead foot (you don't get anywhere, but you have to in a 38kW car), so my city figures are ballooned out at 7.4L/100km but my highway figures are 5.6L/100km. It'd be cool to convert it to EFI, install all the LPG gear and do all the breathing stuff like cold air intake, extractors and high-flow mufflers and cat - it'd likely use about $5 of fuel a week. If that. It uses about $15 at the moment, or about 10L.

SlipStream

HSC
Buy your petrol either today or tomorrow because the price is about to go up again.

S13WPN

HSC
SlipStream said:
I drive with a lead foot (you don't get anywhere, but you have to in a 38kW car)
:D yeh i know what that's like, still good fun though

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
natstar said:
It's not affecting me that much. It still only takes me $20 of petty to drive home to Forster one way. I still only use $10 a fuel a week
It'd still affect you as much as anyone else because you are still having to pay more for your fuel and get less out of that $20 or $10 or whatever.
I find that really hard to believe though- the whole $10 a week thing. If you were still at school than fair enough because maybe you would only use it on weekends or a little bit after school. But $10 is not even 10 litres, unless you have no life and hardly use your car, i cant see how you could only use that much. How many k's do you do on $10?

Last time i filled up, it cost me $55, that's a full tank and its the first time ive filled up full in ages, lately ive just been putting $20 or whatever whenever the light comes on. Used to only be like $35-$40 :(

A full tank used to last me about 2 weeks, sometimes less depending if it was holidays, if i was designated a few too many times etc. Its been ages since ive filled full so i dont know anymore because i drive to work now whereas before i didnt have to. But full tank is on average about 360 k's

Last edited:
HSC
shellybelly087 said:
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ohhhhhh thats funny.
:(

I felt like such a tightarse. But one of his jobs involves driving, so he'll fill up probably 2-3 times a week and that's a good $10-15... but he gets to claim it on his tax so it's not so bad.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Most I've had to fill up for petrol was $45 dollars. I get impatient so I tend to accelerate more often, even to the stop lights. Easy remedy was to keep the revs down and let the car roll to the stop lights. I don't drive often anymore so I don't foot the bill, my dad does.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
For the people that know: If you shift to neutral while rolling down hills, rolling to traffic lights etc, does that save fuel, or is the saving too little to make a difference?

Also, does driving with the sunroof open increase fuel consumption? (increasing drag or whatever)

[Edit: I only just noticed the "Got a q about cars" thread]

SlipStream

HSC
Minai said:
For the people that know: If you shift to neutral while rolling down hills, rolling to traffic lights etc, does that save fuel, or is the saving too little to make a difference?

Also, does driving with the sunroof open increase fuel consumption? (increasing drag or whatever)

[Edit: I only just noticed the "Got a q about cars" thread]
It would save fuel, yeh, but more so if you made it a part of your greater driving habits. i.e. when the lights are red or you're coming to a stop, instead of shifting to lower gears to slow you down, just put the clutch in and glide... the RTA still reckon you should change down gears as you slow down - to help the engine slow you down - but why bother, unless your brakes are poo or they don't work at all...

So it would save fuel if you incorporated it into a smoother style of driving - accelerate smooth, change gears at a lower rpm, even when cruising down the main road, just put it into a gear that is normally too high (just to cruise along) - and then shift out when you need the power.

Having windows and stuff open increases drag - but only marginally. It's the same argument with roof racks - it might use an extra litre of juice for every 1000km of highway driving. Why don't we just fold the side mirrors in, cos they cause drag as well? Preference, basically. But it's just people picking nits. You could also fit skinner tyres to reduce rolling drag as well, while we're at it... who needs to turn?? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)