• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Being Fuel Wise. (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
SlipStream said:
It would save fuel, yeh, but more so if you made it a part of your greater driving habits. i.e. when the lights are red or you're coming to a stop, instead of shifting to lower gears to slow you down, just put the clutch in and glide... the RTA still reckon you should change down gears as you slow down - to help the engine slow you down - but why bother, unless your brakes are poo or they don't work at all...

So it would save fuel if you incorporated it into a smoother style of driving - accelerate smooth, change gears at a lower rpm, even when cruising down the main road, just put it into a gear that is normally too high (just to cruise along) - and then shift out when you need the power.

Having windows and stuff open increases drag - but only marginally. It's the same argument with roof racks - it might use an extra litre of juice for every 1000km of highway driving. Why don't we just fold the side mirrors in, cos they cause drag as well? Preference, basically. But it's just people picking nits. You could also fit skinner tyres to reduce rolling drag as well, while we're at it... who needs to turn?? :p
Thanks mate,
I usually coast in neutral down hills and approaching red lights - but I don't have a stick shift so I can't choose a high gear from stationary. (It's a slow accelerating '73 Benz SE280)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I buy petrol when I need it. I can't be bothered filling up when I already have half a tank just so I can save $2. It isn't worth it for me. And unless I am driving past one of the petrol stations with the 4 cent discount it isn't worth driving out of my way to find one.

It's great to try and save a bit of money but you need to consider what you are losing in order to save it. Most people would rather pay extra for convinience.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I buy petrol when I need it. I can't be bothered filling up when I already have half a tank just so I can save $2. It isn't worth it for me. And unless I am driving past one of the petrol stations with the 4 cent discount it isn't worth driving out of my way to find one.

It's great to try and save a bit of money but you need to consider what you are losing in order to save it. Most people would rather pay extra for convinience.
So true, everyone uses those 4c discount things like they are the greatest thing ever when they only save you a couple of dollars. It only saves me $1.40 when I fill up. Yes I know the savings add up over time and blah blah but I prefer convenience over a $1.40 saving.

Personally the high prices don't bother me too much, I fill up once a week and I pay a fair bit more now than I did last year, but it's not like OMG it's so expensive I can't afford it...I reckon everyone is whinging too much. ANd most of the ppl that whinge probably drive 4WDs and big cars so it's their own fault really.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
DaddyK said:
A stick shift? Where do you live, america? Its manual here in Australia mate.
My parents are foriegn, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)