Being Sick for the HSC (1 Viewer)

bobohappy

HSC
hi all!

i'm just a curious student and was wondering if is possible to recieve an estimate for your HSC mark.

coz right now at my school i believe there is a person who is sick enough to deem them unable to do the HSC. Will this person recieve an estimate to their HSC mark and thus UAI, and if so, how will the BOS determine this mark. e.g. based on their school mark

cheers!

henry08

HSC
N/A
Yes, an estiamte can be given based upon trial marks and ranking.

Takuto

HSC
any idea if they use the actual trial marks or just a moderated assessment mark based on rank to derive an estimation?

the form here says 'moderated assessment' so im abit unsure <- i think they take the rank only and how the rest of your class performs in the HSC e.g. if you're ranked 1/23 you would receive the mark of whoever came 1st in the HSC exam (prob the person ranked 2nd). this is probably abit lower than what you would actually get so getting sick is actually disadvantageous for your mark.

btw, anyone what happens if you still decide to attempt the exam and achieve a higher mark in the exam than your estimation? your misadventure is completely disregarded?

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Following a successful illness/misadventure appeal, they will use your assessment mark as the examination mark. (So essentially the assessment mark will end up being the HSC mark)

btw, anyone what happens if you still decide to attempt the exam and achieve a higher mark in the exam than your estimation? your misadventure is completely disregarded?
Yes, they'll just ignore the appeal.

Takuto

HSC
Rafy said:
Yes, they'll just ignore the appeal.
ah ok. thats pretty unfair for those who are ranked low then; misadventure doesnt take into account that you could have improved in the final exam.

Teo.Kai

HSC
Improvement from the trials to the HSC Examinations are usually around 10 marks? And if everyone improves, it's not going to make too much of a difference =/

Takuto

HSC
The ten mark from trials statement is just a myth and generalization with no statistical basis

also, remember they dont look at your trial mark, only moderated assessment

My gripe with misadventure is that you will receive your assessment mark regardless of other factors including the possibilities that

- someone has worked their arse off towards the end of the year and could theoretically achieve a much higher mark than their assessment shows

- someone is not particularly good at assignments or prac but carves it up in written exams (h/y, trial)

- the person who came 1st in course and gets sick only gets awarded the 'highest mark in their cohort' so usually they still wont receive the 'highest mark' per say, as it doesnt include themselves

i still reckon the current system is unfair and they should at the very least have bonus points awarded for special cases as well.. just seems abit dodgy to me. 'you sucked in assignments, you must have sucked in final exam.. here have a crap mark'

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)