Belonging - 2009 (1 Viewer)

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
shaon0 said:
Eric, i'll copy your definition at school :)
Lol. It was funny today when you asked in English "what's going to happen to the guy in the cartoon?" Everything went silent then i laughed! Lol too funny

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
kailajian said:
i neeeeed related txts guyss

what txts are you doing in school?

the immigrant chronicles, the arrival, rabbit proof fence, and edward scissorhands.

i used those. :)

bored of sc

HSC
Belonging is the physical, psychological or spiritual acceptance of an individual into an existing entity ---> Maybe?

shaon0

HSC
ekoolish said:
Lol. It was funny today when you asked in English "what's going to happen to the guy in the cartoon?" Everything went silent then i laughed! Lol too funny
Yeah lol.

tmci11

HSC
N/A
Belonging - some thoughts

The concept is incredibly multifaceted, stretching from the single or individual right through to the collective human race and beyond. (eg. That star belongs to that constellation, and to the universe!) The definition that you choose for Belonging I believe should relate to the texts that have been choosen, and the affects that the belonging / not belonging have within those texts.

Watching Terminator 2 for the umpteenth time on television last night I started to drift off thinking about John Doe, the human race and how belonging is so important in positioning the 'other' as an opposition and a means of setting up conflict within a text. (-definition waiting to be written?)
Poor Arnie he doesn't know whether to belong or not!

Symbols and Belonging - a ring that unites a couple - the UN logo. Symbols matter they help us identify...

annabanna1441

HSC
The Crucible isn't that bad...I just hate those massive sections where Arthur describes the characters....I ended up skipping the one on Hale cos it was like 5 pages and started going into WW2 or something...
For additional pieces, you really could do anything...I had some mad dream to do disney movies and then my teacher said they weren't sophisticated enough...
Little Miss Sunshine's good because there's so many characters you could compare and contrast.
Another good one's the arrival by Shaun Tan
But honestly, anything will work...we got a list at school with heaps and heaps of suggestions

slikchick

HSC
Hi,
Don't panic! There are heaps of sites and resources listed if you look at this thread.
As a start I'd begin with the site Inside a break for suggestions. Also, go to your friendly teacher librarian and ask what is available in the library (or look up the catalogue).

For poems, try Poemhunter

ape.lauren

HSC
hey is anyone doing Romulus, My Father for their text?

we're working through the board of studies questions about the book...

^_^

domvice09

HSC
Im New at this so dont mind me although the markers of HSC papers look for an original definition of belonging so sort through dictionaries and come up with your own definition then use that definition all throughout the year in order to remember it during the HSC examination...

My Question is.... im looking for texts on belonging yet i really dont find any of the ones provided particularly GREAT... any ideas??

jessiekg14

HSC
we're doing romulus in class but if anyone is looking for songs to use: "i still call australia home" or "i am australian" are both pretty good. my thesis for "i still call australia home" was something like: a sense of belonging allows one to feel emotionally attached to something even if their circumstances require them to be physically remote.

hope that helps someone out there!

smaxx

HSC
Pacchiru said:
how would you all define belonging?
we just brain stormed in class related words such as acceptance, tolerance and that type of stuff

Fadiia

HSC
N/A
Marcel-the-dog said:
Hey HSC 2009 student here stuck with 'belonging' as the new area of study and no obvious resources. Can anybody suggest anything?
Also dose anybody know a good site to look for poems?
Thanks

How about Peter Skrzynecki?

seniorgir

HSC
i wonder if anyone has any good song lyrics on this? (preferably metal ^^)

Last edited:

e.eyvaz

HSC
hey every1, just wanted to ask any1 out there if the movie edward scissorhands by tim burton would be a good choice for belonging as a related text???
some1 plz replii asapp

thanx heapzz

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Fadiia said:
How about Peter Skrzynecki?
You can use Skrzynecki as a related text to one of your other core texts (if that's indeed what you meant).

Apparently, someone else suggested Edward Scissorhands and another user said it would be good. Personally, I've never seen it myself, so I can't really comment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)