Belonging - 2009 (1 Viewer)

v.ray

HSC
i think a lot of people are doing edward scissorhands you want to stand out pick something no one else would choose.

hingec

HSC
We are doing Skrzynecki's Immigrant Chronicles as our core text... Its alright.
Own Choice texts are a bit trickier - I'm thinking of doing My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell then maybe Looking for Alibrandi, The Book Thief or The Dressmaker... Basically anything about family or prejudice (to an extent), Hurricane by Bob Dylan is a good choice if you wanted a song...
Harder to find related texts, but should be conceptually easier than The Journey..

PantherZ

HSC
I think you people are tackling this from the wrong direction. If you want better marks in English, I suggest studying the core texts thoroughly first. From there, you'll be able to extract issues or 'themes' related to the concept of 'Belonging' and find texts that not entirely focus on 'Belonging', but the fundamentally interwoven ideas within.

For example, the renowned notion of 'Change' was what I studied last year. At first, we were pretty much like you guys are now (no offense), believing that we should take advantage and start looking for related material right away. All we had was a very basic idea, in that we thought we could do pretty much anything as everything changes. However, with further insight into Keats' poems, there was a pervading sense of his unwillingness to die as a result of 'change'. Using this as a basis, I started searching for related material and found Bicentennial Man; something I reckon is somewhat different, and works perfectly.

So anyway, I'm just saying that, unless you people already have an extremely in-depth idea of what 'Belonging' is, don't go rushing in. Take the time to really generate your own perception on your core texts and, using that as a backbone, find suitable, unique related texts that reinforce your perspective of the AOS.

peta.davies

HSC
hi
i am also doing belonging this tem.. i have a speech coming up and i need 3 related texts of different text types
any ideas?
if anyone has done something like this befor and got a good mark i would love to know what you used...

KillerIsMe

Very Special Master
HSC
Pacchiru said:
bah, i need a personal definition of it now.

cbb thinking on my own.

come on people, spill some definitions.

why are you even considering doing the hsc?

boirefish

HSC
Uni Grad
KillerIsMe said:
why are you even considering doing the hsc?

rofl well said :D

heheh, i'm doing "as you like it" by William Shakespeare as my core.... and dayum, there arent many texts that really hit hand in hand with this text...

Something that has its' similarities, yet also retains unique differences.... I wrote a list, but all of the movies are ....meh..

jwilkie

HSC
N/A
Marcel-the-dog said:
Hey HSC 2009 student here stuck with 'belonging' as the new area of study and no obvious resources. Can anybody suggest anything?
Also dose anybody know a good site to look for poems?
Thanks
Try The Rabbits by John Marsden or even Muriels Wedding and Romulus my Father... theyre not great resources but theyll do as a start..

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
boirefish said:
rofl well said :D

heheh, i'm doing "as you like it" by William Shakespeare as my core.... and dayum, there arent many texts that really hit hand in hand with this text...

Something that has its' similarities, yet also retains unique differences.... I wrote a list, but all of the movies are ....meh..
im doing as you like it too. once one gets past the language barrier, this play definately has an amplitude of information about belonging.

esstown

HSC
A lot of people seem to be studying "Romulus, My Father", just wondering if anyone else assessing the structure and style of the book and the context? We seem to be:S

We are discussing things like "the impossibility of biography" and assessing socio-cultural aspects.

boirefish

HSC
Uni Grad
Zak Ambrose said:
im doing as you like it too. once one gets past the language barrier, this play definately has an amplitude of information about belonging.

Yeah. it really provides a spectrum of belonging concepts, except one can only cover a portion in their essay. but then again, its sort of like that for all texts :)

Power of One

HSC
N/A
There are a number of books you can use that depicts belongingsome are even children's picture books. You can use Shaun Tan's books Goodnight Mr. Tom, The Secret Garden all can be used to depict belonging. Also Jeannie Baker's book called "Belonging" it is a chidren's book but is on the list.

Start looking for anything that helps to belong, Oliver Twist, Uncle Tom's cabin,
yes they may be "old" books but they depict belonging, even John marsden's Tomorrow When the War Began has a belonging theme running through it...

icecreamk3

HSC
heaps of people are doing shaun tan's books though ;_; so i settled on edward scissorhands for related since there wasn't anyone i asked in my grade doing it D:
also great expectations, they're a weird mob, life of pi (or something), falling leaves, mao's last dancer etc are popular.

adamcg

HSC
I'm doing Immigrant chronicle as my core, specifically Felix Skrzynecki. I'm pairing it with Pink Floyd's "The Wall" 'cause you can explore the concepts of emotional belonging and simple institutional belonging. Theres stark contrasts as well as unerring similarities....

the viva voce's on Tuesday next week... hummmmm am i ready?:cold:

mattoxxxxx

HSC
N/A
GUYS ABIT OF HELP WITH BELONGING IN TERMS OF A THESIS
You need to create your own concept of belonging in your thesis then you need to back that thesis up. look at aspects that could make someone belong. Look at why people would want to belong.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
A lot of you guys don't seem to like our core texts. My class is doing the Crucible and I'm rather enjoying it =D
We saw a live performance of the play before beginning to study the play. It was great to see it acted out, and feel the intensity and frustration of the play. I think it got everyone all excited about doing the play and when we finally read the play in class, it was easy[ier] to understand and discuss.

hingec

HSC
If anyone is still looking for related texts I would heartily recommend
Going Home Stories by Archie Weller
or
Day of the Dog by Archie Weller

They are both about Aboriginal youth and fit belonging like a glove. Going Home Stories is a compilation of short stories so there is even stuff for those too lazy to read and analyse an extended text. (me included!)

Alice.e.

HSC
Stoogey said:
Funny you should ask that cause that question is part of my homework :uhhuh:
Belonging is a warm fuzzy that means you are somehow connected emotionally to person, place or thing....ewwwwwwww

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)