Belonging Essay Intro (1 Viewer)

xmiss_cupcakex

HSC
In the intro where we give our definition of belonging, how much do we have to say about our texts i.e. do we have to give a brief outline e.g. Immigrant Chronicles is a collection of poems which ... and the story ... presents an inspiring tale about ... or do we just state the names and explain them in about a line or two in the body?

Bootawa_Boy

HSC
I just say there name and who they are written by. Then go through them papragraph by paragraph

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
Don't do it in the intro, it will become fair lengthy and clunky, since you will be using at least 4 texts (2 poems and 2 ORT's). I say just do it with each paragraph. That is of course if your paragraphs deal with your texts separately.

Simon_L

HSC
Im going to give a brief outline of the themes that link my texts to a thesis. Heres an introduction our class wrote with the help of our teacher.
Question
"More than anything else, belonging is about finding a sense of place in the world." Do you agree? Argue your point of view, referring to the texts you have studied."

"More than anything else, belonging is about finding a sense of place in the world but this can be hindered by authority telling you where you belong. This tension between imposition and freedom to choose is explored in Skrzynecki's poem Migrant Hostel and to a broader extent in the novel 1984 by George Orwell where, in a totalitarian dictatorship, people are told exactly where and how they can belong. In the feature article My Island home, a girl is, at first prevented from belonging to her culture by her father who removes her from it. These texts suggest that it is often after experiencing an oppressive authority that an individual comes to value and seek a true sense of belonging."

hu5sla

HSC
Don't do it in the intro, it will become fair lengthy and clunky, since you will be using at least 4 texts (2 poems and 2 ORT's). I say just do it with each paragraph. That is of course if your paragraphs deal with your texts separately.
my teacher is an experience hsc marker and says you should state your texts and composer in your intro

the purpose of an intro is to introduce so that includes definition of the topic and name of texts

cassiecocaine

HSC
my teacher is an experience hsc marker and says you should state your texts and composer in your intro

the purpose of an intro is to introduce so that includes definition of the topic and name of texts
Really? I state mine in the intro, but when's my boyfriend's trial marks came back he was told not to state his in the intro...

Is there any chance of losing marks? In terms of structure, etc.

Last edited:

hu5sla

HSC
i still think its a good idea to state texts in intros

so that markers know what to expect when marking it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)