Belonging intro/definition (1 Viewer)

TheDarkRose

HSC
When writting essays about Belonging I want to start the introduction with a definition and explination of the concept of belonging. Does anyone have some good model introductions with this in it?</SPAN>

danielle..

is awesome.
HSC
do you honestly think anyone will give away a decent introduction or definition of belonging the night before the HSC exam?

TheDarkRose

HSC
Im just looking for a definition, and its better to post and have no replies instead of not post and never find out.

fayad158

Banned
HSC
do you honestly think anyone will give away a decent introduction or definition of belonging the night before the HSC exam?
honestly? you would be surprised lol theres people posting up their short stories to be "critic-ed" the night before the exam

kfnmpah

HSC
Meh, this is why i don't like the HSC. All it does is trigger that 'dog eat dog' attitude people would otherwise disregard. Yes, i know hsc is about RANK but, seriously, when someone asks for help, you help them. HSC shouldn't change that.
/rant

With your intro, I don't think there is really a way to specifically define belonging. Maybe state what it allows us to do.
Like, mine goes something along the lines of "belonging is an essential aspect of human existance. It allows us to explore... something about the intricacies of ourselves and hence allows us to satisfy our innate human desire for acceptance" then introduce your text by saying something like "the themes and ideas in "whatever text" embodies this idea about belonging through an analysis of "whatever themes" "

i hope this helped :)

kfnmpah

HSC
Meh, this is why i don't like the HSC. All it does is trigger that 'dog eat dog' attitude people would otherwise disregard. Yes, i know hsc is about RANK but, seriously, when someone asks for help, you help them. HSC shouldn't change that.
/rant

With your intro, I don't think there is really a way to specifically define belonging. Maybe state what it allows us to do.
Like, mine goes something along the lines of "belonging is an essential aspect of human existance. It allows us to explore... something about the intricacies of ourselves and hence allows us to satisfy our innate human desire for acceptance" then introduce your text by saying something like "the themes and ideas in "whatever text" embodies this idea about belonging through aa focus on "whatever themes" "

i hope this helped :)

cassiecocaine

HSC
/rant
Many, many agrees.

My intro said something like, belonging is an achievement of oneself, refers to the sense of inclusion one feels toward people, groups, community, etc.

My intro sucks though :spin:

kwabon

Banned
HSC
not really a definition,

belonging is an inherent human condition in which we strive for acceptance and security through others.

Bootawa_Boy

HSC
Do you really define belonging at the start i thought you just write a small answer to the question thesis?

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
I define it. i think it makes everything easier.
all I do is say something like belonging is security. Where u belong is where u feel safe, safe from being misunderstood. Belonging allows people to express themselves and be accepted as an individual. In order to belong we must find the right place that allows such a feeling of safety.

somthin like that.
what do u guys think?

Bootawa_Boy

HSC
is this right for a start?
What do you think the most powerful influences that impact on an individual’s sense of belonging?
An individual’s sense of belonging can be influenced by a wide variety of factors; such as societies, people, place, religion, community and institutions. Depending on the individual’s circumstances race, gender, social class and even material possessions can influence on one’s sense of belonging.

TheDarkRose

HSC
Those are great thankyou guys.
I found 2 sentances that I think applies and if you want you can word it into your intro.
"Belonging is a complex, multi-faceted concept that highlights our inherent need to feel connection with our peers."
"Our sense of social inclusion or exclusion colours the way people see themselves and their world."

It is not compulsary to put a definition into the intro of your essay but I think it makes for a good start, plus my essays are always too short so every bit helps.

TheDarkRose

HSC
is this right for a start?
What do you think the most powerful influences that impact on an individual’s sense of belonging?
An individual’s sense of belonging can be influenced by a wide variety of factors; such as societies, people, place, religion, community and institutions. Depending on the individual’s circumstances race, gender, social class and even material possessions can influence on one’s sense of belonging.
Yes I think that is right. I also think it would be good for you to define belonging in the begining. It is like introducing what it is that those factors are influencing.
E.g. "The need to belong is an aspect that makes us human and the feeling of belonging makes us feel fulfilled. To belong is when an individual feels a sense of acceptance by being part of a group or culture. Belonging is an inherent human condition in which we strive for acceptance and security through others." There are many powerful influences that impact on this acceptance and an individuals sense of belonging, such as........

The introduction to belonging in the quotation marks are copied and pasted from a thread on this site, although I can't remember which one it was. I in no way claim it as my own work and the real creater of it deserves the credit.

tonyharrison

HSC
The introduction to belonging in the quotation marks are copied and pasted from a thread on this site, although I can't remember which one it was. I in no way claim it as my own work and the real creater of it deserves the credit.

Haha dw bout it. Those are standard belonging questions which have been taken and changed into a thesis-like statement, the person hasn't made them up.

It's all cool (Y)

elly-chan

HSC
When writting essays about Belonging I want to start the introduction with a definition and explination of the concept of belonging. Does anyone have some good model introductions with this in it?</SPAN>
All I have to say is never start with a dictionary definition of belonging- It is an immediate -'red flag' for a D grade response.

An English inspector from the Board of Studies told us at a lecture.

TheDarkRose

HSC
really? Wow I wouldnt have thought that. Should you still include it in the introduction?

Also I just found the Belonging Thesis thread which provides some good ones.

BillEvans

HSC
HAhaha that made me lol

Dude all you should be thinking about for writing the essay is responding to what ever question/statement they put in front of you - stating your argument with as much relation to the question as possible. Belonging is a huge concept and they expect you understand the varying aspects within the topic...i doubt we'll get some dud question like 'what does belonging mean to you'

tonyharrison

HSC
All I have to say is never start with a dictionary definition of belonging- It is an immediate -'red flag' for a D grade response.

An English inspector from the Board of Studies told us at a lecture.
Really? Did they say how you should start? Just go straight into your thesis, introduce you texts first?

Evertonian

HSC
How about you say belonging has become obfuscated and that different interpretations of belonging are riposted against one another and as a result it is difficult to "analytically analyse" belonging.

lol I just made that up from the top of my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)