BELONGING: peter skrzynecki (1 Viewer)

P.T.F.E

HSC
can anyone give me any pointers on how to write a speech as Skrzynecki talkin about belonging.

acevipa

HSC
Give a brief overview of the texts. Look at aspects of belonging presented in each poem (e.g. connectedness, self-identity, etc). And also show how each aspect is presented in the text. Remember HOW = WHAT + TECHNIQUES

moshizzle

HSC
help with skrzynecki poems

for the poem "10 mary street", what idea of belonging is communicated? does it have something to do with the relationship between skrzynecki's family and their "soil", like the garden represents an important aspect of polish culture? and that by belonging to the garden then they are staying true to their cultural identity.. is it something like that??

bored of sc

HSC
Re: help with skrzynecki poems

moshizzle said:
for the poem "10 mary street", what idea of belonging is communicated? does it have something to do with the relationship between skrzynecki's family and their "soil", like the garden represents an important aspect of polish culture? and that by belonging to the garden then they are staying true to their cultural identity.. is it something like that??
Belonging as a result of cultural paradigms. 10 Mary Street emphasises the parent's strong relationship with their house (in Felix Skryznecki Peter says that "he [his father] loved the garden like an only son" -- check this quote). The cultural paradigm/belief is 'the importance of materialism and the achievement of the Australian Dream (basically to own/pay off a house)'. It is interesting to note that a lot of migrants had many jobs which meant they paid off their house mortgages in a matter of years (e.g. 2 years). This was probably the case with the Skryznecki's.

The bit you have in bold is great. I agree with it. Remember as long as you justify with quotes, contextual detail and explanation of techniques your opinions can be correct; no matter how alternative they are.

hingec

HSC
Look up a bit of Skrzynecki's personal history and any allusions he makes in his poems, it helps loads.
For instance the poem "Feliks Skrzynecki" is not about his "real" father, but his adopted father - and that enables to the poem to be read in an entirely new way.
And just keep thinking about belonging in every point you make.

hingec

HSC
Re: help with skrzynecki poems

The house is almost like a refuge for them, it contrasts with images from the industrial district within which they live (i don't have the poem in front of me so no quotes).
The theme of time runs throughout, every stanza has some reference to a time or a a period of time. This emphasises that this period of the poets life is over and he must move on, to belong somewhere else.
I wrote quite a bit about it but I've forgotten it all
Studying "Ancestors" now, and it is sooo hard

verdades

HSC
hingec said:
Look up a bit of Skrzynecki's personal history and any allusions he makes in his poems, it helps loads.
For instance the poem "Feliks Skrzynecki" is not about his "real" father, but his adopted father - and that enables to the poem to be read in an entirely new way.
And just keep thinking about belonging in every point you make.
Feliks isn't his real father?
Wow.
-finds out more-

Edit;;
Oh, wait. Feliks is, but the poem is written about someone else? xD.

Last edited:

hingec

HSC
Nah, Feliks adopted him when he married Peter's mother.

http://www.bookrags.com/biography/peter-skrzynecki-dlb/

"His Polish-born adoptive father, Feliks Skrzynecki, who had been in forced labor in Germany, in 1948 married Skrzynecki's mother, Kornelia Woloszczuk, a young Ukrainian woman working in Germany when war broke out."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)