Belonging-Reading Task (1 Viewer)

yxs

HSC
hey guys~!

I would be really grateful if someone could please give me some directions or tips on how to improve my Reading Task skills. The highest I've ever gotten (including last year when we did Journey) was 10/15...for the reading tasks
I don't know how I could work to get a higher mark.
Any comments or suggestions welcome! Thank you very much guys!

yxs

HSC
could someone who's good at reading tasks please give me some advices:)
any advices welcome. Thank you:)

F-O-B

HSC
Well i'm not exactly good at them, but I had one today. I suppose if you went over techniques, revised over tone, different concepts of belonging the composer might explore, like their attitude, um you might get a visual text so go over those techniques.. Make sure you allocate your time, a lot of my friends didn't finish. And perhaps if you had a generic thesis before you go in that could help, cos usually the last question asks you to compare the texts and comment on how its helped shape ur understanding of the notion of belonging. And always look at how much each question is worth, you dont want to write too much for a one mark question.

but yeah in terms of 'studying' for read tasks, its kind of hard. Go over techniques and different concepts of belonging that could be explored in the texts.

I have a listening task tomorrow, anyone know any good auditory techniques?

yxs

HSC
Thank you very much! That helps a lot because yeah...im really bad at allocating time and usually spend more than I should on the 1/2 mark questions. Thank you for your advice:)
Good luck for tomorrow's test!
do you get listening exams for english? what do you have to do?

dp624

HSC
I wrote this guide to journeys and @ my trial. But a lot of it should still be relevant (plus i get full marks for my reading tasks so yeah it werks)

i'll refer to last year's hsc and our trial

-link every question to journeys in some way, even if they question doesn't mention journeys. say a question like "analyse the writer’s use of contrast in this feature article." in this you'd have to mention contrast, but in relation to journeys.

-if there's two questions per text then make sure the second part of it relates to the first. look at 07 hsc a,b -> you'd have to relate part (b) to what you wrote in part (a).

-for a question with (x) amount of marks, i usually go for (x) amount of examples/techniques. but if a question is sort of vague and i don't get it, i spam several more. like for that romeo+juliet question in our trial, i did about 5 because i was kind of unsure on what was needed.

-some questions ask to analyse a perspective etc -> "How does the visual image build upon the ideas expressed in the written text of the display poster?" in this you'd need to mention what the "ideas expressed" are before launching into the techniques. also, "How does the final stanza shape your understanding of the poem as a whole? (3marks)" you'd need to mention what your understanding of the poem as a whole is as well. of course, the 1technique/example per mark still applies - so you'd need to mention your understanding and have 3 support thingies.

-for the last question exploring several texts (i.e. comparing etcetera) it's not too difficult - somewhat like an essay.
-if it says choose two texts:
i choose two texts with similar ideas and explore how they answer the question. structure is like text1 then text2. text1 is the harder text to do (and the harder one to link to text2) while text2 is the one which links to text1. i do about 3/4 techniques per text, with at least two comparisons. for example for trial i did the book cover and romeo and juliet. i explored how perseverance on a journey is good.
i had a small intro (which compared the texts as a whole - something like, they both show same things even though different mediums).
paragraph 1 - on book cover, explore some crap relating to perseverence - this was quite full of techniques
paragraph2 - on romeo+juliet, explore some crap relating to perseverence - this text was harder to do, so i spent a bit of time comparing the two texts - need similarities (e.g. same message) and also differences (juliet is imaginative, book cover is physical) etc.
then have a mini-conclusion -> this thing is sorta like an essay.
-if it's all three:
then same as above, except text2 needs link to text1, and text3 needs links to 1,2 etc.

F-O-B

HSC
aw no problem =)

A listening task is similar to reading tasks, but instead of the text in front of you, you listen to the speech or whatever the text is. I'm not sure but the teacher might give us the script as well, im not too sure about that. It's still comprehension.

yxs

HSC
dp624 said:
I wrote this guide to journeys and @ my trial. But a lot of it should still be relevant (plus i get full marks for my reading tasks so yeah it werks)
Thank you so much!! :) It's really really helpful!
If I get full marks for reading tasks~I'll be way over the moon~:)
Thankx heaps:)

yxs

HSC
F-O-B said:
aw no problem =)

A listening task is similar to reading tasks, but instead of the text in front of you, you listen to the speech or whatever the text is. I'm not sure but the teacher might give us the script as well, im not too sure about that. It's still comprehension.
Good luck:)
I hope my school doesnt have a listening task, lol or otherwise I will do worse than i already am at English:)

Dan2008

HSC
Everything said above is spot on!

The most important thing I found was knowing as many techniques as possible! That will save you a lot of time in a test as you can pick them out so easily! Then just link to the question or idea on belonging!

Now you just have to do as many past papers as you can get your hands on, and make sure you spend 40 mins on it, no more!

Hope that helped! If you want a really good list of techniques just PM me :)

yxs

HSC
Dan2008 said:
Everything said above is spot on!

The most important thing I found was knowing as many techniques as possible! That will save you a lot of time in a test as you can pick them out so easily! Then just link to the question or idea on belonging!

Now you just have to do as many past papers as you can get your hands on, and make sure you spend 40 mins on it, no more!

Hope that helped! If you want a really good list of techniques just PM me :)
Thank you!! I've got my Reading Task tomorrow! Hopefully I can finish on time cos I've this bad habit of never finishing any test on time, not just English =p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)