Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Amee sahota

HSC
N/A
I have to do the crucible and I'm using dead poets society as my related text. However, I am having alot of trouble finding a related novel. Does anyone have any ideas??

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. There could be a link between Things Fall Apart and The Crucible - in that the perceptions of society result in the alienation of an individual (or a group).

Luffles

HSC
Possibly, The day of the Triffids? By John Wyndham.
It does have belonging in it, but I'm not sure if it's good enough.
I read it in Year 11 .. as a prescribed, for AOS: Change.
I don't know. ^^;

sloveni

HSC
N/A
I was wondering the movie "Never Back Down" will a good related text for belonging?

hotncold

HSC
:eek: well i have to find 3 relatedtexts for my asseigment

i picked : giant child (picture book)
Raw (novel)
Alice in wonderland (short story)
i need to pick one to use it in my essay with the documentary bowling for columbine
any one can help to pick it

liss21

HSC
I'm doing Edward Scissorhands, Mending Wall by Robert Frost and Romeo and Juliet instead but I can't think of any belonging themes in Romeo and Juliet. Any ideas? or should I choose something else?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
For Romeo and Juliet - familial relationships create a sense of belonging for most members of the Capulet and Montague families, but instead, create a sense of alienation and isolation for Romeo and Juliet.

courtneyobryan

HSC
I want a text that conveys the meaning to belong to something/someone.
It can't be a picture or lyrics, any ideas? Also, nothing long like a novel, maybe a poem or short story? Much appreciated

screwed4hsc

Premium Member
HSC
Im pretty desperatley looking around for a film to use a related text,, and reading about 'Taxi driver' has alot of the same aspects of belonging as my other text .. but do u think the school cares if its an R movie or of its content?

Luxxey

candied queen
HSC
is ulysses good? or is it too complicated?
Ulysses is full of rich literary techniques, a veritable gold mine really. But unless you can adequately extract the main ideas within it that concern belonging, don't do it.

If you like Joyce, try a story from Dubliners. Easier to analyse in terms of belonging, while still influenced heavily by context.

I'm looking for a film to relate to belonging with place/family/acceptance and alienation. So far I've selected The Shawshank Redemption (fits with place and alienation), but I can't link it to family and acceptance. Any ideas?

boofhead2005

HSC
I'm using Marching Powder by Rusty Young for a related text, with the prescribed text Strictly ballroom. Would anybody have an idea, if this could work?

Belonging:

* Prisoners need to belong to a block, or they live in an open area
* Prisoners need to belong to a family in order to receive money and supplies
* Prisoners need to belong to an accepted crimes list - by that I mean if they have raped or killed children, they do not belong, hence they are secluded and sometimes killed.
* Prisoners need to belong to a group within a gaol for safety
* Prisoners need to belong to the corrupt practices inside the prison.

In saying the above, can this be used to help argue a point, including Strictly ballroom?

Mushy Goo

HSC
I'm using Marching Powder by Rusty Young for a related text, with the prescribed text Strictly ballroom. Would anybody have an idea, if this could work?

Belonging:

* Prisoners need to belong to a block, or they live in an open area
* Prisoners need to belong to a family in order to receive money and supplies
* Prisoners need to belong to an accepted crimes list - by that I mean if they have raped or killed children, they do not belong, hence they are secluded and sometimes killed.
* Prisoners need to belong to a group within a gaol for safety
* Prisoners need to belong to the corrupt practices inside the prison.

In saying the above, can this be used to help argue a point, including Strictly ballroom?

what point to strictly ballroom are you trying to argue?

evnchrist

HSC
how about Rebecca 1940 film directed by Alfred Hitchcock?
ideas of belonging together by desires of love but pyschological barriers and the lingering of the past impeding this.. ??

anyone know any good resources for this film that could help?

boofhead2005

HSC
what point to strictly ballroom are you trying to argue?
I want to contrast the two texts. Strictly ballroom deals with the urge to break away from the group, whereas, Marching powder deals more with the urge to fit in to a group.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)