Belonging: Related Text (1 Viewer)

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Has anyone got some information on the related text: The Arrival By Shaun Tan.

I just need some, as i am currently attempting to prepare my second related text.

Just some notes, you may have.

Anything will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

KGZ9

HSC
i would also like to have some notes on this if any of you have some

michaeljennings

HSC
is this the picture book where white europeans are portrayed as rabbits and the aboriginals are portrayed as something else
EDIT: Nevermind lol that picture book is the rabbits

mystery_meat

HSC
I used The Arrival as one of my related texts. I don't have any notes however (I threw all of my HSC stuff out as soon as finished my last exam), and you should really make your own notes & come up with your own ideas so it supports your thesis as best as possible.

Having said that, I will give some brief points/techniques that I used:
- The use of fictional/strange symbols, plants, animals & buildings --> responder can empathise & helps to convey the extent of the cultural isolation he experiences
- Change in tones & colours of images --> warmer used when he feels a sense of connection & peace
- Proportion of immigrants compared to city (the image where they are queuing up for customs, shows city overhead) --> small, insignificant, can't see details --> I related to how easy it is to become "a number in the system". You can do a lot more with it though.

I really can't remember much else. That wasn't particularly helpful, sorry.

It's a really big book, with a lot of fantastic pictures. The way I dealt with it is to work towards understanding the book as a whole, then look at a couple of pages very closely. That way I could go into a lot of detail about something that related directly to my thesis and the question being asked.

If there's a specific image (or series of images) you're having trouble with, then feel free to send me a message or post it here and I'll try to help. I'm just too lazy to go through the entire book again and try and remember my ideas/notes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)