Belonging thesis statement confusion (1 Viewer)

leesh95

HSC
How do you connect your thesis statement to the question. So for example if the question is about place and you thesis is something like " A sense of belonging comes from within". How would you connect them both to answer the question?

Really confused.And our teacher hasn't really helped us much.

DamTameNaken

HSC
Your thesis is meant to be reactionary and based off the question. This means that a specific thesis might not suit a specific question. If you really want a thesis that can be applied to all questions you have to make it extremely general, e.g. 'Belonging is a vital part of being human and can be found in a variety of ways'.

If I was faced with a question about place e.g. 'How does place affect a sense of belonging?', my thesis will be something like 'A place and the experiences we associate with that place can provide a sense of belonging along with a sense of isolation given certain circumstances'

So the question isn't 'How do you connect your thesis statement to the question?' but 'How do you make a thesis that connects to the question?'

mty10

HSC
My method is something like this:
Take the Question; ie. "How does place affect a sense of belonging?"
Choose a main point/something you want to say about it, ie. "Physical/Geographical Isolation can be the biggest preventer of belonging for an individual"
Take the original Thesis: "Belonging is a vital part of being human and can be found in a variety of ways"
Kinda muscle the original (all your quotes and examples etc) into the new: "Belonging is a vital part of being human, but physical/geographical location can prevent any sense of belonging"

Then just word it better than I did.

Did that make any sense at all? :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)