Belonging to Place- help (1 Viewer)

j12onuzim

HSC
I am doing Romulus my Father for my core text and the assessment would be relates to belonging to place.
Would place mean place in society, place in a family e.t.c. as well?
If so, could you give some topic sentences about belonging to place?
Also, would it be alright to contrast the belonging in my two texts?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
contrasting the idea of belonging in your two text is perfectly fine as well as finding the similarities between them-either way you are showing how studying the two texts expands/reinforce your understanding of the multi-faceted and complex nature of belonging, there are too many topic sentences that can relate to belonging to a place, hence general contributions will not be as helpful as if you were to make some up specific to your prescribed and related text-because only when these thesis sentences are specific to your text, can you be using them in your essays-otherwise how are you going to find enough techniques and examples to back up your response if say instead I randomly give you a topic sentence of belonging to a virtual, online place-which I am sure is not something examined in Romulus my father-, place usually don't mean family-because these are people, but place can include family home, can include intangible, inner places, as well as imagined and past places-and usually people develops a sense of belonging to a place through the passage of time-development of a sense of familiarity, of associations with people/experiences associated with these places, place can also relate to cultural places-places of birth, just start doing a mind map like this, and see which relates to both of your texts-and before you know it, you will be constructing brilliant topic sentences-hope this helps:)

iPoke4Free

HSC
Belonging to place generally refers to actual place, for example landscape belonging or belonging to land.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I am doing Romulus my Father for my core text and the assessment would be relates to belonging to place.
Would place mean place in society, place in a family e.t.c. as well?
If so, could you give some topic sentences about belonging to place?
Also, would it be alright to contrast the belonging in my two texts?
If you're talking about belonging to society and family, that's more to do with relationships and looking at things from a societal context. HOWEVER! You can also phrase it as though you're talking about their place in society and how the setting (i.e. physical locality) and stuff can also impact upon an individual's ability to belong.

But generally, belonging to place is belonging to a "physical" place, but you can also talk about "social" place, etc. It's just physical is more conventional :)

And contrast is good, as you can articulately express your ideas and show that your texts represent different ideas.

Topic sentence ideas about "place" belonging: (badly worded but you can fix it up lol)
- An individual's connection to place can anchor them and prevent them forming new connections to new places
- An unfaltering connection to place allows individuals to feel security, strengthening their sense of belonging to a certain place
- Individuals can struggle to belong, due to societal limitations within certain places, thus reducing their self-identity

etc
(sorry brain dead from 4u maths lmao)

It's probably better to come up with your own ideas, but those are just some v. general ideas. Best of luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)