Belonging (1 Viewer)

tomp1612

HSC
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if I could use Into the Wild, which is a movie for my belonging essay. Now my teacher said I shouldnt as it could be a set text and others said I could can anyone give me a straight up answer??

Lewiecookster

HSC
N/A
I am using into the wild as one of my related material. Since I am doing the simple gift as my allocated text I can relate them both together since these stories are quite similar :) So in other words into the wild is a very good text to use because it is a good example of belonging and not belonging as well ^_^ Goodluck :)

tomp1612

HSC
I am using into the wild as one of my related material. Since I am doing the simple gift as my allocated text I can relate them both together since these stories are quite similar :) So in other words into the wild is a very good text to use because it is a good example of belonging and not belonging as well ^_^ Goodluck :)
yea I get that but my major problem is, is that it is a set text for Module B Close study of a text. So my main question is, is can I use it even if it is a set text for another section??

Demise

HSC
If you've done it, then don't worry. If you're planning to, find another one.

belinda1005

HSC
I don't think you can use a prescribed text stated in Paper 2. Are you using the film or novel?

Demise

HSC
no, the thing is will I get marked down for using it as an additional text??
No, but the marker will think negatively if he/she sees a standard text, they'll think you're a standard student.

Demise

HSC
so she/he can mark harshly even if my essay kicks ass??
Nope, they'll mark as they always do, but the best thing is to always set up the marker to think you're an advanced student, it's a psychological ploy which may lead to you getting an extra mark if they feel generous.

belinda1005

HSC
Nope, they'll mark as they always do, but the best thing is to always set up the marker to think you're an advanced student, it's a psychological ploy which may lead to you getting an extra mark if they feel generous.
How do you set up the marker to thinking you're doing the advanced course? Sophisticated language? Extensive knowledge of texts that answer the question?

tomp1612

HSC
the problem is I dont want to lose marks and my essay is really good so Im sort of tied between changing my additional text or not, and I mean I have got one so if worst comes to worst then I will but any other advice??

Demise

HSC
How do you set up the marker to thinking you're doing the advanced course? Sophisticated language? Extensive knowledge of texts that answer the question?
Your introduction allows them to usually differentiate between standard/advanced (we have a HSC marker who's been doing it for a decade I think). If they cannot decide from the introduction, a few paragraphs in (from structure) they will know.

Demise

HSC
the problem is I dont want to lose marks and my essay is really good so Im sort of tied between changing my additional text or not, and I mean I have got one so if worst comes to worst then I will but any other advice??
Go in with it and blow the marker away and they'll know you're an advanced student, but always have a backup if you feel necessary. If you're happy with a 75 ATAR, a 70 raw in English Advanced would be impeccable for you, from the looks of it that's around 84/85 HSC mark and even higher when aligned.

lani22

HSC
my friend's sister did it as her additional for belonging and my friend was going to do it as well. Our teacher said it was fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)